Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Bart,

Glad that there was no permanent damage. Safety rules are always written in blood.

I saw the California Waco. Looks as if it was built, "Straight up". It is probably worth every penny that they are asking for it, but I wonder about the reason for selling, since the poster has several other models for sale. It could be that the family knows this guy sells on the RCU, and asked him to try and sell it for them. Personally, I can't believe that the family would not want to keep it, and hand it up somewhere in the home. Perhaps they need the money, or could be that seeing it is too painful for them. I don't understand why he won't crate it for ground shipment. Greyhound transports thousands of them every year, with excellent results. Looks like he is limiting his market.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought you guys might like to see my 1930 fleet,I built it from plans. as you can see it has a 5 cyl saito 3.25. I also have the cox waco with a G-26, and in the process of taking the covering off the pica bipe to re cover, this will be the second time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75515.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	610632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96701.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	610633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92998.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	610634  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

How do I make these pictures smaller for this forum?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
tychoc

ORIGINAL: Jacque

How do I make these pictures smaller for this forum?
Instead of inserting the pictures into the editing box when typing your message, use the "Click here to upload images and files!" link at the bottom. See enclosed screenshot.

Oh, and nice fleet by the way. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

-tychoc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86919.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	610654  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

That from an Oscar Deuce, who rode in a target

Just remember, when one receives his commission, one becomes an Officer and a Gentleman. And it took an act of congress to make him one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

It was either the original Stealth Plane (highly doubtful), the enemy saw the red cross on the tail and let us go (also doubtful), or we just weren't worth wasting a missile on (more likely). At any rate, US Air Farce never lost a C-141B to hostile fire (not sure about friendly, though[X(]). We mainly just wore the dang things out. Best ride I ever had in one was straight up the Grand Canyon, 500 feet above the rim, while sitting in the jump seat on the flight deck.

As for the commission thing, it would have taken more than an Act of Congress to make a lot of us Gentlemen, officers or no. My squadron was more than half female, with all that entails.

We used to get lucky every now and then, got to see an SSN leaving the base at Charleston. Best view was from the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point Museum.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Stickbuilder

I rode an SSN out of Charleston from 66 through 72. My best buddy (flying) was NCOIC of PIMO, later MERC Control at CAFB. He's now a big shot with Embry-Riddle in California. Back then, I lived near Dorchester Road, out near the AFB. The 141's used to shake my house on the climbout. If you were there at that time, it would have been us that you saw, since we were the Navy's only operational fast attack in 66 and 67. Can you say long back to back patrols?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I rode an SSN out of Charleston from 66 through 72. Back then,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

I guess those things were a bit of improvement over the 1st sub to ply the waters of Charleston Harbor (CSS Hundley).

I couldn't say how many times I helped rattle windows out on Dorchester. They were fine birds, but the Flyin' Lizard's replacement is light years better. Our squadron was the first to use the C-17 for medevac. We did the eval and wrote most of the T.O.'s for configuring the Globemaster II for medevac. I was in the process of leaving about that time (1995), most of my hours were in 141's with a few in C-130's.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:17 PM
damifino

STICKBUILDER- Had one of our engineers try to print some drawings from the website. He had no luck trying to open the .dxf files, tried 3 different ways to do it. He said they were "bad" files. Tried the jpegs and they would open but were so large it took 4 sheets of paper to print one! At home they print OK but are not to scale as we discussed earlier.

I'm gonna send you the angle brackets and 2 'gear eyelets' in exchange for copies of the parts sent via snail mail. Sound OK to you?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Stickbuilder

My Son probably worked on your Bird. He was a tech in the avionics shop at Charleston from 91 to 97. Spent a little time in Sicily TDY, but most of his time was at good ol' Charleytown.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: damifino

STICKBUILDER- Had one of our engineers try to print some drawings from the website. He had no luck trying to open the .dxf files, tried 3 different ways to do it. He said they were "bad" files. Tried the jpegs and they would open but were so large it took 4 sheets of paper to print one! At home they print OK but are not to scale as we discussed earlier.

I'm gonna send you the angle brackets and 2 'gear eyelets' in exchange for copies of the parts sent via snail mail. Sound OK to you?
damifino,

You got a deal. I can't open the files either (at home) but at the office, I can unzip them. Try your winzip program, it works just fine when you do that. I don't have that program at home, and damned if I'm gonna buy it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Stickbuilder

To: EVERYONE

I just got off the Phone with Brad at Stan's Fibertech, and Here's the deal.

I have a pristine cowl (uncut) and a set of blisters (also uncut). If someone is willing, and will make the cowl into a perfect, useable unit, with the blisters evenly spaced, and get it to Brad, He will make a mold, using the finished cowl as a plug. We can then get the correct cowl for our WACO's. Me? I get my cowl back, and maybe a cowl from him out of the deal. Any takers? I don't have the time (or the need) to do it right now, but I will trust one of you guys with my parts.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Bill,
I would do it in a second but I think it would be easier if it remained in the states. Brad updated me too and said he was ready for when it arrives and he can make the new mold fairly quickly, very nice!

He did a great job on the part I received. I'm sure the new ones will be as good
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM
damifino

Send it to me. I'll take care of fixing it up for Stan's. Will e-mail my address
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 PM
ChrisMH

I just checked to make sure, and the dxf files as downloaded from the web site appear to be fine (I tried on a separate computer that has never had the files on it). They should come down as zipped files, so just unzip and use AutoCAD or one of the free dxf readers to open the file. The dxf files are scaled correctly, so should print correctly.

As I've looked into it more, I believe that dxf is probably the wrong file format. The free reader from AutoDesk is for "dwf" files, which, I believe is a more web-friendly format. I think I'll convert them all to that and include the reader as a download from the web site.

Chris
Old 01-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Stickbuilder

Sounds good, I've always wondered why things come out different than they were sent. I've always wanted a computer with a D.W.I.W. button. (Do What I Want). This stuff is still as hard as Chineese Arithmetic to me. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Stickbuilder

Send it to me. I'll take care of fixing it up for Stan's. Will e-mail my address
The cowl is uncut, as are the blisters. The juncture of the blisters to the cowl requires a radius and not a sharp transition. It needs to replicate where the metal was stretched when being beaten on a Buck with a forming hammer. The radius is not long, but is not a, "Break", either. It is one of those deals where you know when it's right. I'll call Brad tomorrow, and let him know what is going on, so that he can make arrangements to put this one in the production cycle. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy. Now we can get some good cowls

I think that, maybe this group is the best thing to happen to the YMF Kit. There have been a lot of fixes for known problems discussed, and worked out in here. You guys have a lot to be proud of. Now the 1/5th scale version of this wonderful old bird can live on as long as someone wants to have one. Not a bad thing to be remembered for.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

now, if we could just get NightStalker to build a shiny one.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
damifino

CHRISMH- I'll print out your last post and give it to my engineer guy. I'm not sure what he unzipped them with. He's pretty sharp so maybe he'll get it this time. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
ChrisMH

To: EVERYONE

I just got off the Phone with Brad at Stan's Fibertech, and Here's the deal.

....removed stuff about the deal...
I'd buy a cowl.

Chris
Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
ChrisMH

CHRISMH- I'll print out your last post and give it to my engineer guy. I'm not sure what he unzipped them with. He's pretty sharp so maybe he'll get it this time. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks.
Feel free to email me directly if you have any more problems. [email protected]. It's on the web site, too.

Chris
WACO Brotherhood #15
(gonna have to change my sig...I'm tired of typing that out
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
ChrisMH

*Deleted for lack of meaningful content*

Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Anyone that wants an Epoxy finished glass Cowl "new style" single spaced equal blisters should email Brad at Stan's Fiberglass right away. If there is enough interest, it may help speed the process up. Mine is ordered
http://www.stansfibertech.com
Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 PM
mobyal

Mine too...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Bill,
I simplified matters and took a brand new set of plans to Kinkos and made copies. All sheets came out at 80" X 30". Right now I have 5 sets and will make more as needed. I'll send copies to anyone that needs them, just pay for postage and shipping tube. As far as the cowl goes I can send it to Brad along with the blisters, he can keep it as I'll never use it. I don't plan on using a 7 cylinder radial so the only blisters that will line up properly are the ones at 12:00 o'clock.

BTW, I just sold my YMF rather than re-do the wings to get away from the single servo. (kept my 170 Saito) Next one will have 4 servos on 2 channels. The more I flew this one the sloppier it got.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Ricatic

Harry,

i would like a set if you still have one left. Just let me know how you would like the transition to proceed. Stickbuilder, is not the best place for an Arfer to start is with the plans.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 AM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: HarryJ

Bill,
I simplified matters and took a brand new set of plans to Kinkos and made copies. All sheets came out at 80" X 30". Right now I have 5 sets and will make more as needed. I'll send copies to anyone that needs them, just pay for postage and shipping tube. As far as the cowl goes I can send it to Brad along with the blisters, he can keep it as I'll never use it. I don't plan on using a 7 cylinder radial so the only blisters that will line up properly are the ones at 12:00 o'clock.

BTW, I just sold my YMF rather than re-do the wings to get away from the single servo. (kept my 170 Saito) Next one will have 4 servos on 2 channels. The more I flew this one the sloppier it got.
Harry,

I'd love a set! Let me know where to send some cash.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.