Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Ekim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hi Dan,

I'm no radio expert by any stretch but I have encountered similar problems to what you are having. In my experience it's either been ignition RF interference or a short or loose connection somewhere. I've not had any RF interference problems since swithching to 2.4 but I know it can still happen. I would be more suspicious of a short or loose wire somewhere. You may not notice it at all without the engine running, but the engine vibration can cause the short or bad connection to rear its ugly head. In the past I've often narrowed the problem down to a bad battery pack or a faulty switch. That's where I would st looking.But it could also easily be a servo extension as Jacque mentioned. Sometimes you jsut have to start swapping stuff untilyou nail it down. I'm sure there are some Brothers that are more knowledgeable than me on radio issues, but I thought I'd share my experiences.

Good luck
Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Tony V.

Dan what receiver do you have ,and has it been in a crash ?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
abergmann

RF noise shouldn't interfere with your 2.4 rx Check your extention lead connections and the plugs into the rx. If there is abit of play in the plugs the vibration causes the connection to be intermittent and that is normally when the control surface starts jumping. I had this happen to me on my Extra 260 and the aileron lead into the rx wasn't in all the way, lucky i saw this on my pre-takeoff check.

Arno
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I’ll start by checking all the connections making sure there all good & tight. Maybe this is a good time to learn how to solder and do away with extensions.
Tony I used a new AR7000 receiver and all new servos but that’s not to say they couldn’t go bad. Hopefully I just have a loose connection in the wiring.
Arno can’t what to see a video of you flying your Waco.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this happen with my Waco, it only happens when the engine is running and I have inadvertantly used a steel bolt where a nylon one should be. I sounds like vibration induced RF noise is getting to your receiver. All those servo leads act like aerials, and they can feed RF noise to your receiver without going through the proper aerial and filter, no radio type is immune. There is a metal to metal joint somewhere that is rattling with enough energy to splash across the spectrum, and it seems your aileron servo wire is near enough and just the right length to pick it up. It might not be easy to find...
Evan.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM
abergmann

I will try and get video this weekend, planning the 2nd flight for Saturday morning. Hopefully all the gremlins have been sorted out.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Dan, I'm also of the opinion that an extension with either a loose connection or a corroded plug (is it an older extension from your pile of stuff in the box under the bench?) is the problem. Contact cleaner with a stuff brush may help but replacement is one way to solve the problem. Never use "cheap" extensions. Only gold plated connectors should be used. The best way of course is hard wired right to the receiver. Mitch
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, Try to insulate your flying wires so that they cannot touch each other. A few small rubber bands or small O-rings will do the trick. Also does your tail bracing form a complete loop? If so, then isolate it by using some nylon bolts instead of steel bolts.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
pimmnz

Hey, Amscat, where you get that Air New Zealand avatar?
Evan, WB #12.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
amscat

Hi Evan - I've had the koru on all my planes since the late '70's when my wife and I were in NZ for a month on holidays. It's either on the tailon sports planes, a la Air NZ, or in the cabin for scale models.I think I got the original templates off my ticket folder . Anyhow, we just loved it down there and swore we'd return in a few years - then life got in the way (not to mention the cost of the flight down!) and its still a just a dream to return again. Maybe now that I'm retired..... We still correspond with the people we got to know there, and some have stayed with us here on their obligatory trip around the world.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
pimmnz

Well, well, well. Now that we are 'Airline of the Year' perhaps it's time you came fly with us again...Feb to May is best flying weather, and I bet we could come up with something classic for you to fly... You will need to bring your own tranny if'n you're mode 2 but.
Evan WB #12.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM
amscat

Ahhhh - that's evil to tempt me like that!

By the way, what do fly most, 2.4 or 72 ?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Dan,

Does your G26 have EI on it, and if so whose? I spent several weeks chasing the same issue on a Barth Waco and it turned out the ignition conversion on the G62 was going south. (This is probably a long shot to being your problem.)

Chuck
Old 09-04-2010, 03:33 AM
pimmnz

Most anything, Amscat, from 27 to 2.4. 40Mhz is the legal 'Aircraft only' band. Just run what ya brung.
Evan
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM
abergmann

Very good afternoon to you all.

Just returned from the flying club and am very happy to report the the "second maiden" of the 40% Waco went off without a hitch. The added balast did the trick and she gently floated skybound without ANY trim adjustments. She is still very light in the air at 110.23lbs but only a scale flyer at this stage(to scared to try any form of aerobatics, although I'm sure that with abit of energy management she will do loops and rolls but as far as vertical performance goes, there is none). The Moki 400 wouldh've been a better option but still happy with the way the 250 goes. If I want to do aeros i'll fly my Yak

Also got some good video of the flight so will get that up as soon as possible. The camera man left early but assured me he got the whole flight.

Now its spit and polish for the big show weekend on the 23rd, cant wait

Arno
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats Arno
Glad to hear it all went well. 110lbs wow she is a real pig It sounds like it fly's scale and that's how it should be. I can't wait to see the video.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] WOW,110#'s What a monster, sounds like a real kittycat though. Hope the camera man got a good shot of the grin plastered on your face. Can't wait to see the video.
Red.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 PM
mrdhud

Arno

Glade to here all went good looking forward seeing your video.

Bill

I just have the wires on the top side of the rudder. I can’t what to get every thing fixed I’ve only flown her 3 times 1 dead stick, 1 pretty good and this time with the servo jumping up & down and I can tell you my hart was just a pounding LOL.

Chuck

I don’t have the EI on my 26. I’ll be taking her apart Sunday and seeing what I need to have to hard wire all the servos and give every thing a good look see.

Does any one know of a good web sight that shows the best way to solder servo wires what gage wire and any helpful suggestions. I've had others do my soldering in the past but I would like to do this one my self.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Arno

Glade to here all went good looking forward seeing your video.

Bill

I just have the wires on the top side of the rudder. I can’t what to get every thing fixed I’ve only flown her 3 times 1 dead stick, 1 pretty good and this time with the servo jumping up & down and I can tell you my hart was just a pounding LOL.

Chuck

I don’t have the EI on my 26. I’ll be taking her apart Sunday and seeing what I need to have to hard wire all the servos and give every thing a good look see.

Does any one know of a good web sight that shows the best way to solder servo wires what gage wire and any helpful suggestions. I've had others do my soldering in the past but I would like to do this one my self.
Dan,

Come on up and I'll show you how to solder the extensions for your servos.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 AM
tmac48

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys, been a while since my last post, the rehab and other health issues have been getting the better of me but starting to get on top of things now. Could anyone help me with the diameter of the fuel caps on the Waco and the height and size of the bend of the breathers?
Thanks and Regards
tmac.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
skylarkmk1

Tmac,

The diameter of the fuel caps is approximately 2-1/2 to 3” depending on the style, Smooth with just knurling around the perimeter, Knobby with a bumpy shape or Angle with 1 or 2 pieces of angle welded or riveted to the top of the cap.

The diameter of the breather tubes is usually about ¼” ID, and they are about 6” tall. The radius of the bends are TLAR as I have not seen the exact same shape on different planes. The pattern also varies, either the “?” shape or the L shape. The S3HD has the “?” shape and it points forward. SRE NC 20961 has the L shape also pointing forward.

P1 - Smoth Cap and "?" Tube on YMF NC 14081
P2 - Knobby Cap and "?" Tube on UBF NC 12002
P3 - Angle Cap and "L" Tube on SRE NC 20961
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91576.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1495608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16270.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1495609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45494.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1495610  
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
fishinchickens

I haven't been able to get much time working on my WACO in. Iv'e been doing a lot of building and repairing for others in our club. Here are two pictures of some work that I've been able to get in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80104.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1496190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57928.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1496191  
Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
abergmann

Hi Guys
Well finaly I can share my baby with you all. This was the second flight with the cg sorted. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did flying her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnagmBGScXU
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
mrdhud

Arno

Great looking flight that’s one big Waco you have. looks like the real thing in the air. Your camera man did a fine job to.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]Very Nice Arno,
It looks like it was very stable for you. I know you may feel it is under powered but it looks like it fly's very scale with that engie and you just can't beat the sound. You should be very proud you have built a beautiful Waco.
Later!!
Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.