Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 472 of 705 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482522572 ... LastLast
Results 11,776 to 11,800 of 17609

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

Hi Bill,
    It looks like they have the correct dihedral on the top wing on this one. It will be interesting to see what someone can do with dressing this one up.
    I hope you get healed up soon, I know sitting around has got to be driving you nuts.
    Later!!
    Anthony
    WACO Brother #30 Cub Brother #17
    It's not the hours you put in It's what you put into the hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to add a WACO to my hangar one of these days. This ARF looks nice but is expensive and I'm not a big fan of ARF's. The only other options are finding a PICA kit (very difficult and costly) or scratch building one. Scratch building would take a lot of time and money. I don't mind spending the time building a nice plane but I'm not sure my building skills are up to scratch building one of these planes.
    Steve
    Club Saito #638, Ultra Sport BH #67, Cub BH #71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stickbuilder;
    I have taken two kits to the covering stage,but lost interest in both for lack of knowledge on the correct procedures of covering. I would be honored to become a member of the Brotherhood,as I have always wanted a Waco and have now ordered the GP Waco from Tower. In the future I will build a Waco from a kit,but at this time I am having to much fun flying.
    Get well soon.

Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!!

We have another new Brother. Let's all welcome jerry325i as Brother #179.

Jerry, is the 325i for your E-46 or what? If it is, I drive an E-46 Touring.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome to the Brotherhood Jerry keep us posted on your GP Waco.

smkrcflyer,

Steve I would have never thought of scratch building a Waco and then I meet Bill (stickbuilder) and he convinced me otherwise. Any time I had a question the Brotherhood was there with the answer or I would get a phone call from Bill walking me threw what ever I was having problems with. You are right scratch building the Waco will take time but the satisfaction you will get is well worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46763.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	1539812  
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stickbuilder;
    Thank you for allowing me to join your exclusive club. My BME is a E90 2006 325i,but in reality it belongs to my wife. I get to fill the tank every once in a while.

Jerry
    # 179 WB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just starting a UltraSport 60 build and hope to have it flying in 2011. I'm looking for my next build and the PICA WACO is on the top of my list. If I build one it will be fabric covered and have a twin 4c in it. I downloaded the manual and plans (Thanks Bill). Is there a list of wood needed for scratch building?
    Steve
    Club Saito #638, Ultra Sport BH #67, Cub BH #71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve,

There is no list of materials. There are so many modifications to the original, that this would be a nightmare. The original used mostly 5/32 balsa and 1/8 lite ply and plywood. The 5/32 is very hard to find, and makes the model build heavier than is necessary. I'd use 1/8 balsa for the ribs and the formers. There are places where you will want to substitute plywood for the balsa (tailwheel former) and the formers in the wing saddle area. You will probably want to make the firewall modification as well, and the tank box too.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jerry,
    You will probably want to order the plans and templates from the AMA. You will have a tough time getting the plans and templates to print out properly on your own( I tried). Some things you are better off just ordering and the plans and templates are one of them.

I am building a homebuilt right now and constructing a jig for the ribs, the plans were off by 1/16" (pretty close) on the distance from the front to rear spar. Just part of the printing process. I drew several reference lines on the plans and my jig board and cut the plans to get the correct spacing.
    If you print your own plans and templates you will be doing things like this all over your plane. Fortunately for the homebuilt all I have to worry about is the full size rib patterns. Close isn't good enough it has to be right.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info.

Jerry
    179WB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! I hope to get my Pica 1/5 Waco completed & flying in 2011. I still have a lot of work to do on it, with your help, this bird will be beautiful. Thank you guys for all the great idea's and making this Waco a pleasure to build!

Gerry

Name:	Ca81283.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	1540347  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry guys for the large photo, not sure what happen. If there's a way to delete that post and start over let me know!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gerry that really looks nice!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Anthony, I don't plan on using those floats, like Bill suggested, I'm going with EDO floats. I wanna make them removable so I can fly her off land too. This has been achallenge, for me. Not many Waco builders have installed floats on a Waco, so gettinginformation on how to it or the best way is hard to come by. It's going to take me awhile but I will get it and I will post photos. I just hope it works. I want the floats removable for land flying. Another challenge! Also not using the Ventral fin, they say it's not needed. Happy flying everyone!

Gerry

Name:	Yw68387.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	1540362  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

Anthony, it is in the Fly R/C March 2011 issue. ( It amazes me that the magazine is 3 months ahead) Very nice job on your write up, sounds like a nice plane to build and fly.
    I just picked up an issue of Fly R/C, well at least I didn't make a complete fool of myself I am happy with the review.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are the templates that are available from the AMA the same as the dxf/jpeg files posted to houseofmoy.com/waco?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all,

Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes they are, but getting the HoM files to print correctly to the correct size has been a nightmare for many of us no matter what program you use (Auto CAD, Turbo CAD, Quick CAD, Generic CAD and others). You will spend a lot less time and effort (frustration) waiting for the plans and templates from the AMA than you will trying to print from the files on HoM. It’s well worth the few bucks just for the piece of mind to get the plans/templates. Save your hair, order the plans set (# 35406 and ask for the templates) from the AMA.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron,

I've had good success using a free dxf viewer called eDrawings from Solidworks (http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/). When you print one of the dxf files from HoM, make sure you select the print 'To scale (1 to 1)' option. There aremeasured lineson each drawing so you can verify that the printed template is exact to size. (You also have to have a printer that will accept legal (8.5" x 14") size paper.)
    Andy

O.M.F.C., MAAC #23235, WACO Brotherhood #155

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When you get it all finished, there is a quiet little cove at Lake Tahoe, California, that is perfect for pictures of it:-))))

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: amscat

Ron,

I've had good success using a free dxf viewer called eDrawings from Solidworks (http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/). When you print one of the dxf files from HoM, make sure you select the print 'To scale (1 to 1)' option. There areΒ*measured linesΒ*on each drawing so you can verify that the printed template is exact to size. (You also have to have a printer that will accept legal (8.5'' x 14'') size paper.)
    That's why I put the measured lines on each drawing. I wanted the builder to be able to check the dimension, whether a copy or a pdf.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In case you guys didn't notice Peter Rake designed a 1/6 scale YMF (Nov Flying Scale Models).

It was designed to be electric or IC. Mine is powered either way. It takes me 20min to change out the power system, a 4120 on 4s or a .90 Thunder Tigre with Davis Diesel conversion (16" prop). The .90 ST actually fits within the cowl (needs a hole for the compression screw/glow plug).

You can get a short kit at Manzano Laser Works. I got a fiberglass cowl and pants from Fiberglass Specialties (their PICA models) for use with the diesel. I use the vac formed cowl for the electric motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your Waco looks nice, I remember bumping into your build thread somewhere.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, time for another busy year. How is it that since I'm retired, I have less time available than I did when I was working all those hours every week? Hopefully, I'll get the dirty bird Waco finished this year, and get the Ryan ST finished, and finish the 27% YMF plan, and start on the UPF-7 in 27% drawn. In addition, I have been invited back to Top Gun this year to again perform the Scale Outline Judging chores for Team Scale, and as an additional bonus, I have been asked to Judge Scale Outline for the new Unlimited Class. Wow! What an honor. Allright, now lets see some Waco's show up at Top Gun.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Glad to see that you are well enough to be thinking about your projects. Hopefully your health continues to improve and you can get back to your building. Congratulations on your invitation back to Top Gun for judging.

I, and I am sure that I am not the only one, am looking forward to you completing your plans for the 27% YMF plans. It is at the top of my list for planes to build when they are ready.

Best wishes for 2011.

Chris
    WB #133

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Sounds like a full plate for a retired man. Glad to hear you will be coming to Top Gun this year you’ll probably be ready for some good old FL heat after dealing with the cold. My hats off to all you guys living north of the Florida line. I’m freezing when it gets in the 40s LOL
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"