Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 475 of 711 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485525575 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,875 of 17764

Thread: WACO YMF

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

"the only place in the US that it is not cold and white is Florida. "

And San Diego, California. The sun is shining, we just got a motor home, and are planning our first trip to San Diego Bay:-))))))))))

Right after I take the dog for her morning walk.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

It was in the upper 30's here in Fort Myers this morning. I call that cold!

Chuck
    WACO Brother #233

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello everyone... I'm ryan.

I was gifted a partially assembled 1/5 Pico Waco F-3 a while back and have been working on it slowly while trying to learn at the same time. N00b alert, this is my first (solo) build. Building is not completely foreign to me as I have been involved in some building in the past.

The gent who built the plane didn't quite do the job as robustly as one might like, I am trying to figure out if I should uncover and re-do certain things in an effort to make sure this beautiful plane doesn't drop out of the sky.

A few examples:
    - The N struts aren't done with the same quality that I've seen here. The struts have been glassed, but the original post with eyelet inserted into the strut was all that has been done. That said, I'm not looking to make this an exact replica like many of you have done with extraordinary precision. I don't want to cut corners, but is the stock assembly good enough to fly this plane at it's full potential?

- There was nothing installed before covering the wings and tail that would allow for flying wires to be installed. Should I remove the covering and re-do? Is there a way to handle this after covering?

- The tail and elevator were covered before hinges (nylon currently) were applied, is this a candidate for re-do?

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone here built or knows someone who has built an AMR 40%'r. Im waiting for mine to land on my doorstep, but trying to think ahead. 40% instruments...any ideas where they might be obtained?

Cheers,
    Dave.
    Waco Brotherhood # 180

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave welcome to the brotherhood,
    One other Brother has built the 40%. I built the 33% and detailed it out a bit. I purchased my instruments from InzPan, I am afraid you will find 40% instruments hard to come by but they may be able to hook you up. They do carry some nice instruments. A 40% pilot will also be very difficult to find as well. There just aren't very many options when you get above 25%.
    Good Luck!!
    Anthony
    WACO Brother #30 Cub Brother #17
    It's not the hours you put in It's what you put into the hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: williec30

Hello everyone... I'm ryan.

I was gifted a partially assembled 1/5 Pico Waco F-3 a while back and have been working on it slowly while trying to learn at the same time. N00b alert, this is my first (solo) build. Building is not completely foreign to me as I have been involved in some building in the past.

The gent who built the plane didn't quite do the job as robustly as one might like, I am trying to figure out if I should uncover and re-do certain things in an effort to make sure this beautiful plane doesn't drop out of the sky.

A few examples:
    - The N struts aren't done with the same quality that I've seen here. The struts have been glassed, but the original post with eyelet inserted into the strut was all that has been done. That said, I'm not looking to make this an exact replica like many of you have done with extraordinary precision. I don't want to cut corners, but is the stock assembly good enough to fly this plane at it's full potential?

- There was nothing installed before covering the wings and tail that would allow for flying wires to be installed. Should I remove the covering and re-do? Is there a way to handle this after covering?

- The tail and elevator were covered before hinges (nylon currently) were applied, is this a candidate for re-do?

I appreciate your time and consideration.
    The Pica 1/5th scale does not require flying wires. I would recommend adding some flying wires to the tail though. The Cabane Struts are substantial enough to stand anything that the model will do. The strut covers are just that. Covers. Nylon hinges? Are you talking about the pinned hinges? If so, there is no reason to undo anything. They will be just fine.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Terry Lamb framed one up, but then sold it before the first flight. You can send him a pm through the RCU pm list. he is trlambsr.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really fouled up an earlier post I made.

I should have said - The Fabric was NOT to Blame It was NOT Pre shrunk. Geesh These long days are going to my head....

Any tips for painting are welcome - plan on using auto Base/clear. Wish me better luck this time around.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The Pica 1/5th scale does not require flying wires. I would recommend adding some flying wires to the tail though. The Cabane Struts are substantial enough to stand anything that the model will do. The strut covers are just that. Covers. Nylon hinges? Are you talking about the pinned hinges? If so, there is no reason to undo anything. They will be just fine.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Thanks bill, I appreciate the help.

Yes, pinned hinges... see picture below. Is this the best solution given my situation? Second pic, is there need for any strengthing here?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19715.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	1547216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av70140.jpg 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1547217  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

Try Proper Little People http://www.properlittlepeople.com/ (under construction) and see Patties thread on RCU Scale Possable Pilots http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95..._1/key_/tm.htm she may be able to help. From the looks of things she has the best looking pilots out there and may be able to make a pilot to fit your plane. She may be able to do a 40% you with the proper photos. Contact her, it is worth a shot.

Also try -

Aces of Iron http://www.acesofiron.com/home.htm they seem to have some larger size Pilots.

Axels http://www.scalepilots.com/ for both Pilots and Instruments. It is in Geman so I can't be sure on sizes.

Take a look at this PFD, it might fill your time while you are waiting. You could use Alumilite http://www.alumilite.com/index.cfm instead of micro balloons and CA if you are sensitive to CA.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the links, John. Definate possibilites there. I'll have to do a quick course on speaking German

Cheers,
    Dave.

Waco Brotherhood #180

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: williec30

Thanks bill, I appreciate the help.

Yes, pinned hinges... see picture below. Is this the best solution given my situation? Second pic, is there need for any strengthing here?

You did not post any pictures of how the Interplane struts are going to mount to the wings, so I'll guess that the loops are secured to an angle bracket with a screw. Other than the hardware just being pushed into the wood of the struts, and glued into position, I don't think that there is much in the way of strength to be found. I'd at lease make the ends from some threaded stock and allow the threads to add to the surface area of the glue joint. The wing incidence is set by the Cabanes, so check the incidences of the outer wing panels once you get to that point, and make sure that you don't lose anything there.

The pinned hinges should be just fine. I'd make sure to put some toothpicks through the surfaces and hinge holes.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mogam - use google translate - works really well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You did not post any pictures of how the Interplane struts are going to mount to the wings, so I'll guess that the loops are secured to an angle bracket with a screw. Other than the hardware just being pushed into the wood of the struts, and glued into position, I don't think that there is much in the way of strength to be found. I'd at lease make the ends from some threaded stock and allow the threads to add to the surface area of the glue joint. The wing incidence is set by the Cabanes, so check the incidences of the outer wing panels once you get to that point, and make sure that you don't lose anything there.

The pinned hinges should be just fine. I'd make sure to put some toothpicks through the surfaces and hinge holes.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Once again, thank you for the help.

You are correct, there is an angle bracket on the wing that the nstrut eyelet is attached to (or will be anyway)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, here's an idea on the gear shock strut. I have posted it before, but here it is again. Just make the bolt shank longer, and add a compression spring. You can adjust the tension to the load.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Hi Bill ...........I used your idea on my 1:6 Waco. Works great. Thank you. I've come back to reading some of the posts in this long thread. Good job.

Charles

Name:	Vt58610.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	1547392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr53704.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1547393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv53565.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1547394  
    WACO Brotherhood # 87
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood # 61
    SAITO MEMBER # 406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave and all,

Some additional sites for Pilots –

Mikes Pilots http://www.mikebrentart.com/photo.html hand carved likeness of your self, Mitch Epstein got himself into his Waco this way

Premier Pilots http://premierpilots.net/index.html this site looks like the English version of Axels site

Lite Pilots http://www.litepilots.com/ this may be another source for the Axel Pilots

H. P. Pilots http://www.hppilots.com/main/page_home.html has many references to other sites that also have pilots

For Instruments – You will have to decide which era Waco YMF you are going to build – the original 1935 with an Oval style Instrument Panel (simpler, less instruments) or the modern (1987 and newer) 3 panel style (more instruments, avionics and more complicated).

PropagTeam - http://www.propagteam.cz/home_en.asp Excellent instruments. They also have other accesories.

InZpan - http://www.inzpan.com/ The site PropagTeam will send you to order your instruments.

Aero Cockpits – This is another source for the PropagTeam Instruments and stuff

Noll - http://www.noll-modelltechnik.de./co...unstflug_2.htm has a complete panel for both the front and rear cockpits in the modern style 3 panel.

I have individual pictures of the Pioneer, US Gauge Co, Scintilla (magneto switch), Kollsman, Bendix-Scintilla (magneto switch) and other brands of instruments used during the 1930s and a couple of Oval Panels and layouts if you decide to make your own. I also have a complete Walk around of the 1987 Waco YMF NC 14081 which is identical externally to the 1930 YMFs. Contact me offline with a PM or e-mail
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys.

I just e-mailed propag about 40% instruments. They say.."no problem!"

Now I just have to find out what was in the 1930's panel.

Dave.
    Brother #180

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

If anyone on this site can help you with that it is John howard aka Skylarkmk1. He has a couple of CD's of Waco pictures plus I am sure many others.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the build on this thread.

Chris
    WB #133

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Propag are by far the best, make sure you order early. It took them about 6 weeks for mine to arrive. I would send you the list, but I am in sunny Miami, Florida and won't be back for 2 weeks.
    John has the list and will help you out. I am sure
    SO MANY WACOS, SO LITTLE TIME.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Guys, been a while Happy New Year to all...Anyway Finally my Waco flies here are some pics. Still busy with the dummy Radial but we couldnt wait any longer My son has become very attached to the Waco....[>:]

Name:	Ge94429.jpg 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	1548708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21159.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	1548709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pv53240.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1548710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kd89745.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1548711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bm75206.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1548712  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ja41310.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1548713  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, great looking WACO, I really like the color scheme you chose. What engine are you using?
    Jim,
    WACO Brotherhood #3, AMA 816592, IMAA 41683,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jim,

Its a Zenoha 26 Mag , great engine very scale...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary,

Very nice looking Waco. please tell me what scale is your Waco, who makes it and is it a kit? I want to build a Waco but I have only found the bigger ones, from AMR. I am going to build a 33%, but I am not ready to build it yet, until I have better building skills.

Can someone from the Waco Brotherhood please tell me some of the better companies that makes good Waco kits? 

Thanks in advance,
    John
    John,
    Corsair Brotherhood #68
    Waco Brotherhood #182

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

It's a 1/5th Scale Pico Kit. I'm not sure if they make this kit no more. Maybe Stickbuilder can give you some more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, 

Thank you for your information, that is the size of kit that I am looking for.

Stickbuilder or any of the brothers from the Waco Brotherhood, please tell me some of the better companies that makes good Waco kits? I am looking for a scale 1/5 kit.

Thank you,
    John
    John,
    Corsair Brotherhood #68
    Waco Brotherhood #182