Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: acerc

Hey nineonine, could the image be placed on here in a downloadable format. That way we could have done it ourselves, on whatever shirt,jacket, etc we want.
Maybe have a polo and a light jacket embroided.
That would also maybe alleviate a lot of work for you.
Just a thought!
No.

We will decide on what colors are offered in order to know what generation of shirt is out there. If Mitch is tired of this, then someone else can do it. we don't want just anything out there with the Waco Brotherhood logo on it. Not trying to be an anal aperture but that's how it is. Sorry if it bothers you. Its not meant to.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
aminiet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And now that it's settled, I would like to suggest Navy Blue same size as last time 2 ea.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bother. Understand completely. That's where i'll leave that at!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, I was thinking of either royal blue or navy blue too. We'll discuss in Fla in a few weeks and by then I'll be able to guage the interest. Meanwhile, everyone send your requests for shirts to Mitch Epstein 651 N. Main St. Leominster, MA. As said earlier I'd need minimum 75 pieces to make an order.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Stickbuilder

Let's come to an understanding. The Waco Brotherhood logo, and the parts templates are the intellectual property of the Waco Brotherhood. We have had several people make an attempt at turning the templates into a commercial venture. This will not be allowed. The same applies to the Logo. This Logo was designed by a commercial Art Studio, and was their property. The Studio owner gave us the logo and all the rights that go with it. If we allow a shop to use it to make something like an embroidered patch, then we lose the rights, since it would become common property. The original artwork is in the hands of Jay Stone (damifino) WB#25. Jay not only worked closely with the Art Studio to get the logo designed, he also did the work on the cowl plug that enables us to have a correct YMF cowling.

I don't want to be a horse's patootie, but that is how its going to be. If someone wants to get a shop to quote bids on doing something like this, then we will consider doing it as a Brotherhood project, but we will retain all the rights to the logo. Just please, no wildcat stuff.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 PM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Bill, I was thinking of either royal blue or navy blue too. We'll discuss in Fla in a few weeks and by then I'll be able to guage the interest. Meanwhile, everyone send your requests for shirts to Mitch Epstein 651 N. Main St. Leominster, MA. As said earlier I'd need minimum 75 pieces to make an order.
How much do the shirts usually sell for. I would probably be interested in getting one.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 AM
nine o nine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should be in the 15$ neihborhood plus posting. A mail anything box costs about 6 bucks sooooooooo. Mitch
Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Stickbuilder

Smart money is to order at least 2 shirts. Shipping is about the same for 2 as it is for 1, plus if you go to a 2 day event, people aren't moving away from you all the time on the second day, and no one is paying too much attention to where the windsock is pointing, so that they can stay upwind of you.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Bill,

I understand were your coming from about the logo and templates. I would like to thank you again for taking the time to trace all the parts and starting this thread so this classic can live on also a big thanks to Jay for the hard work he did on the cowl and the logo and to Mitch for taking his time ordering and having the shirts made and mail out to all of us and John for always having just the right picture and information you need and to every body else for sharing information and ideas.
We are a great bunch of guys (and gals) here and I’m Proud to be part of it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 AM
acerc

TO all ,
I did not ask the question intending on stirring up a hornet's nest.There was no intent of comercial use, or request there of.

My sincerest apoligies
              Robert
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: acerc

TO all ,
I did not ask the question intending on stirring up a hornet's nest.There was no intent of comercial use, or request there of.

My sincerest apoligies
Robert
Robert,

No one thought that you did. You never know what a outside shop or supplier will end up trying to do though. I know a gentleman who owns a design. He has it copyrighted and everything, yet a major firm is trying to force him out, and take his design. Looks like he may lose our altogether. I'm just doing what I can to protect what is ours.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

FYI...........WACO for sale in the Buy and sell dept, Illinois area, kit built rtf.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
skylarkmk1

FWIW

There is also a 1/6th partially built kit in New Hampshire, Item # 720893. The decal for the registration number, N 1935B (in Red), is for Waco Classic Aircraft serial number F5-001 manufactured in 1985. N 1935B is White with Red Trim and Gold Accent. The kit will build correctly (with minor modifications) for this plane, WCA s/n's F5-001 thru F5-009 and the original 1930 era Waco YMFs and UMFs.

The box cover is of NC 14031, the Paul Matt drawings and original Platt, later Pica subject aircraft. The Platt kit (that I have) has the cover art of NC 14031, decals and registration # NC 14031 in Cream which is correct as NC 14031 is Insignia Blue with Cream Trim and Red Accent.

The 1/5th Kit, Item # 718013 has the cover art for N 1935B, but the decals for NC 14031.

Go Figure.

NC 14031 is currently in Maine, fully restored and has been flying for about the last 18 years. It is currently powered by a Continental W670 Engine making it a UMF. The personnal marking of the original owner were not restored.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM
jn4dflyer

Skylark, 14031 was the subject I chose to model.  When I looked up the NC number it list it as a YMF, UMF.  I could never find out when the Continental was installed making it the UMF model.  It appears it was during restoration.  Which was great for me since I made the UMF cowl from the Pica kit.  Do you happen to know when the Continental was added?  Also according to the photos I have the red accent was added during restoration, photos that I have before restoration do not seem to have the red accent.  After the restoration it is very prominent.

Thanks
Larry
Waco brotherhood #183
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
skylarkmk1

Larry,

NC 14031 is currently listed as a 1934 UMF with the last certification issued in 1974 (expires in 2014) and powered by a Continental 670 Series engine.

I believe NC 14031 was originally a UMF with a Continental, changed to a YMF with a Jacobs and then restored back to a UMF during the last restoration. The Paul Matt drawings show the cowl and engine being a YMF with the Jacobs (you can see the push rods on the engine in the drawing, Continental engines, have the push rods behind the cylinder that are not visible when viewed from the front). This engine configuration may be what led to the UMF/YMF confusion in the Platt/Pica kits.

The Paul Matt drawings mention “pin stripes on engine cowl & décor on fairing bumps, wing & rudder license, personalized emblems & nameplate,…†but do not mention any colours other than Navy Blue and Cream. Go back to page 479, post 11970 and look at the Old Colour listing for NC 14031 (it’s marked), Insignia Blue and Cream.

Note also that the Paul Matt drawings do not have the front cockpit shape correct according to the current owner. The restored cockpits do not have the padded edges seen on many Wacos. Suggest getting the large Paul Matt drawings (3 Sheets, 18†x 24â€) from Wind Canyon Books http://www.windcanyonbooks.com/home.php as they are the most accurate and detailed of the 3 views I have found. They do have a couple of errors though (nothing major).

I have sent an e-mail to the owner to try and clarify some of your questions and to get some photos.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Garthwood

Hi Bill....................any pictures of these shirts in this thread anywhere ? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

Hi Bill....................any pictures of these shirts in this thread anywhere ? Thanks.
Yes there are, but please don't ask me where. There are several pics, of a light blue and a maroon as well as the original tan.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 AM
WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

I was just repeating what I was told by a ''pilot'' a few years ago at an airport.
Yep, happens a lot. And that pilot was no doubt repeating what he was told by another pilot. Having lived with the curse of being both a pilot and a mechanic for many years, I have found a lot of pilots who really don't understand what's going on with their airplanes mechanically. Same thing with many car owners. No worries! I just like to set the record straight whenever I can.

Cheers!

Joe
WB #54
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Tony V.

Look at post 10120 for pic of shirt.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
jn4dflyer

John, thanks for the info on NC 14031, I am always looking for information on the original subject.  Just to add to the history of the plane in my documentation.  I will post pictures of my model soon, and after a few more landing practices I will install the wheel spats and finish the plane for competition.  Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on this amazing aircraft.

Larry
WB #183
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: Tony V.

Look at post 10120 for pic of shirt.

Thanks Tony.................The WACO Graphics are nice (back and front), but I like the color that Bill suggested "Blue" . How about Navy or Airforce or Gray ? One has to remember about colors that fades by UV rays and repeated washing. Pilots are outdoors people.
White is also cool although it gets dirty much quicker but at the same time reflects UV rays, one good reason to buy two T Shirts.
Charles.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 AM
amscat

I like the idea of having one of the colours used on the original 1930's Wacos - both the tan (cream) and maroon looked good and representative of the era. My vote is for blue this time around. Not sure if I want to be wearing a Vermillion shirt (whatever colour that is)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM
skylarkmk1

amscat,

Vermillion is a Bright Red colour sometimes tinged with orange. Other old time colours are - Gun Metal Grey, Havana Brown, Black, Silver, Orange, Stinsion Maize (sort of yellow), Leoning Yellow, Fokker Red (a darker Red) and Green. Check the list on page 479, it has the original colours and comination..
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: amscat

I like the idea of having one of the colours used on the original 1930's Wacos - both the tan (cream) and maroon looked good and representative of the era. My vote is for blue this time around. Not sure if I want to be wearing a Vermillion shirt (whatever colour that is)
I like the Blue colour idea. But what shade of Blue ?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

amscat,

Vermillion is a Bright Red colour sometimes tinged with orange.
hmmm....Bright Red colour sounds nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.