Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 49 of 736 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149549 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 18376

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: AROPLANE

ok is there room for one more only got up to page 34 but i see that #1 is online
    love aeroplanes with two wings
    got a pica 1/5 waco almost finnished
    and one in the box also have the ikon n'wst kit in the box
    a proctor albatros d5 done and I have an albatros d3 built by dave johnson
    also have a great lakes and I also have a sig j3
    but for fun i'm getting ready to build my laser cutter and do a little wood burning
    tom
    AROPLANE,

Welcome Brother #28.

The Pica, 1/5ths are welcome. The IKON N'West Waco is welcome. Don't know about all that Brand X stuff though.

We are always fairly (kinda-sorta) broad minded when it comes to other planes. Naaaaah, we even allow ARF's in here (if it's a WACO)

When you get yer Lizard slicer going, let me know...I want a laser cut 1//5th scale WACO.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

STICKBUILDER- I know you are covered up. When you have time how about posting an overview of your tips, mods, improvements to the PICA 1/5 WACO? Especially helpful are those things that will apply to us scratch building these birds who have had no experience with the kit.

I know we are getting closer and closer, a small step at a time, to making this thing a 'virtual kit', so the more people we have building it, the larger the pool of knowledge. Patterns will be refined, hardware will be (is) available, and before we know it there'll be a WACO in every shop. Well, you know what I mean.....

By the way, I made a wing alignment fixture from .060 aluminum which I would like to make available as a laser cut item. Will probably be easier to use than a pasteboard one. What do you think, Brothers? STICKBUILDER will have, in a few days, stainless steel replacements for the plastic 'L' brackets that came in the PICA kits for cowl mounts, etc. If they work OK they too will be available.
    Geez, let me see if I remember it all...
    1. Make a dent in the trash can with part #F-1, and make one from 1/4"ply.
    2. Follow suit with former #F-4B, and make one from 1/4 or 5/16th ply. Do not cut the tank access hole, and drill a hole large enough to get your fuel lines through.
    3. Make the tank floor 1 1/4" wider,, because you will not be using the maple engine bearers.
    4. Relieve former #F-7B to enable you to install the fuel tank.
    5. Replace the 1/4" square stringers back to Former #F-9B with 1/4" square hardwood, splice in 1/4" square balsa (use the lap joint method) for the remainder of the fuselage stringers.
    6. Make a new Former F-14B from 1/4" ply. You will be mounting a 1/2A or e.p. nosegear mount to this former.

Wings:
    When building the wing center section, do not use the W-10, W-10A, W-11, W11A as drawn. Instead make new ones from 1/8" ply, only make them go from the center of the wing, out at least 3 ribs into the wing. (you will need to cut the spar slots in these ribs to allow the longer wing joiners to fit.

When completing the top wing center section, do not sheet the top until you decide on the incidence. At that time you will need to drill the mount blocks, and install T-nuts. Then you may add the sheeting to the top of the center section.

When you cut the ribs for the bottom wing, use a forstner bit, and with the ribs stacked, and aligned from the rear main spar, drill a 1//2" hole in all the ribs to allow you to install a paper tube for the aileron wires to travel through.

Make the aileron door mounts from 5/16" hardwood, and install them outboard of the interplane strut mounts. Allow sufficient room for the doors to mount into place, and still be flush with the bottom of the ribs. I will do photo's. That should keep you busy for a wiile.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BRAND X WE ALL NEED CHANGE

BUT MOST OF THEM STILL HAVE TWO WINGS AND ROUND ENGINES

I SEE #7 HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD A FEW PAGES AGO AS FOR AS SCANNING PARTS FOR CUTTING WITH OR WITHOUT A LASER
    AS FOR AS GETTING PARTS CUT IF THEY CAN BE PUT INTO AUTOCAD THEN THEY CAN BE CUT WITH THE LASER THAT IM PUTTING TOGETHER BUT I WILL NEED HELP IN THE DRAWING DEPARTMENT I THINK THATS WERE CHRIS #15 MAY COME IN IF HE CAN HELP, GETTING THEM INTO AUTOCAD AS MY TIME IS IN SHORT SUPPLY AS THIS IS NOT THE ONLY PLANE WE ARE WORKING ON
    NOW DO PEOPLE WHAT THE 20% OR IS THERE A BIG CALL FOR 25% OR EVEN 30% AS IT JUST NOT CHANGING THE SIZE OF THE PARTS THERES A LOT MORE THAT GOES INTO MAKING THEM LARGER
    I DO HAVE A LARGE FORMAT SCANNER AND HAVE A NEW OLD STOCK WACO IN THE BOX #960512(LATE ONE?)IT WOULD BE BETTER TO USE ONE SET OF PLANS DO ALL THE CHANGES TOO AND THEM MAKE MORE WACO'S LET ME KNOW IF EVERONE WANTS TO WORK
    WITH ME ON THIS

TOM -AROPLANE
    THE NEWBEE WACO BROTHER HOOD 28

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

STICKBUILDER- Make the aileron door mounts from 5/16" hardwood, and install them outboard of the interplane strut mounts. Allow sufficient room for the doors to mount into place, and still be flush with the bottom of the ribs. I will do photo's. That should keep you busy for a wiile.
    Pardon my ignorance, what are the aileron door mounts, servo bays? 'Roger that' on everything else, thanks.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

damifino,

The plans call for mounting one servo in the middle of the lower wing, and using pushrods and bellcranks to operate the ailerons. The better method is to mount a servo outboard in each wing half, and eliminate the bellcrank and pushrod system. This gives rise to the need to make a mounting system that will allow the aileron to be in the wing panel, and have a substantial mount to fasten to, hence the term servo bay. This is the bay (space between the ribs) in which you would mount the servo. The most practical method is to muild a hatch that will have the aileron mount built into it, and fasten securely to the wing structure. I will include a picture of the finished item. I have a dummy version built-up, so that you can see how I did it. I will get a photo of it tonight.

The WACO Brotherhood was formed on September 6, 2006

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I've done the aileron servo hatch, door, bay thing a few times. No problem, would be pleased to see your pictures.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay, I'll post a set of photos tonight. It is pretty simple, just remember to use some triangulation to eliminate any movement from front and side loads.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All,

The website has been updated with the wing parts I received from Stickbuilder.

Chris Hogan
    WACO Brotherhood #15 - http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How many pages diod you receive?...I'm not sure that they all went through.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

How many pages diod you receive?...I'm not sure that they all went through.
    5 total.

Chris Hogan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just re-sent pages 19 and 20. These are both large files, and may not go. If not, I will break them down, and do it again. These are critical pages, and must be included.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Did you install the 1/8” x 7/8” x 4-1/4” ply servo rails in the center section of the bottom wing? I believe they can be omitted when using dual aileron servos mounted in the wing bays. It won't hurt anything if they are installed except add a few grams of weight.

Thanks.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skylark1,

The plywood rails are not needed in the modified version. You will be extending the wing joiners to the center of the wing center section, and will need to add a tie piece to sandwich the pieces as a unit. All you do when you add unecessary wood to a model airplane is to make it heavier. A heavy airplane makes a deeper hole when it hits the ground. I would not reccomend adding the servo mount to the bottom wing center, but it's your plane.

You will need to use a farstner bit to cut holes in all the wing ribs in the bottom wing to facillitate adding a paper tube for a wireway for the aileron servo leads. You will need to cut 2 holes in the wing top sheeting (bottom wing) to allow the servo leads to come into the fuselage.

I hope that if you guys are about to start the build, you will at least talk about the modifications that I have learned so that you can have the best flying WACO possible. I have posted the wing mods earlier on the previous page.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chrismh,

You just received 5 more e-mails. I had to break pages 19, and 20 to make the files smaller in order to be able to send them.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AROPLANE NEWBEE 28 OR AM I 29???

FINNISHED READING ALL 49 PAGES LOONNGG TIME ANY HOW I ALSO LOOKED AT THE WEB SITE AND LOOKED AT THE PLANS THAT ARE THERE THEY MUST BE FROM THE BEGINING OF TIME AS THERE THREE PAGES THE ONES I HAVE HAVE ONLY TWO PAGES AND PRINTED AFTER 1990 KIT #960512 DONT HAVE THE PLANS FROM MY FIRST WACO BUT DO HAVE THE INSTRUCTION BOOK FROM THE EARLY ONES IT ONLY HAS 13 PAGES THE BOOK THAT CAME WITH THE LATER MODEL HAS 45 PAGES DID THEY LEARN ANYTHING THAT A BIG DIFFERANCE I DID FIND THAT THE PLANS ON THE WEB HAVE THE OUTLINE FOR A CANOPY FOR A CABIN MODEL MINE DON'T ANY ONE KNOW MORE???
    I ALSO COUND NOT OPEN THE DXF DRAWING EVEN WITH AUTOCAD SAID THEY WERE BAD?? THATS WHAT WE NEED TO START TO GETTING A CUT FILE FOR THE LASER GOING
    ONE MORE THING DO PEOPLE WHAT THE 1/5 SIZE 72" OR SAY 25% WHICH CAMES OUT TO 90"S WHICH IS MORE IN THE LINES OF WHAT WE HAVE BE DOING WHIT SOME OTHER AEROPLANES
    LET ME KNOW THANKS
    AROPLANE NEWBEE WACO BROTHERHOOD #28 OR 29

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Additional shouting removed...
    First, think about proper capitilization and just a touch of punctuation. Please Your post was very hard to read.

What dxf file were you having problems with? I created them for AutoCAD 2007; if you have a significantly earlier version, it may be a problem.

Chris
    Chris Hogan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, I will try to make to improve
    I have AutoCAD 2004 the dxf would not open with it

tom aroplane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engineering department at my work cannot open them either. They say they are 'bad' as well. Perhaps once the files are cleaned up proper and properly converted they will be useful. As it is now, they are good only for looking at un-scaled shapes as jpeg's. Not being critical, just telling it like it is at this point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, I will try to make to improve
    I have AutoCAD 2004 the dxf would not open with it

tom aroplane
    OK, looks like we may have a compatibility problem since you're using an earlier version than I am. I'll see what I can do about posting more compatible versions.

Chris

Chris Hogan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AROPLANE NEWBEE WACO BROTHERHOOD #28 OR 29
    Are you AROPLANE? or are you EDWIN?

EDWIN is #28
    AROPLANE is #29

If you are the same person, why did you change your name? This does occasionally happen, and causes no real problem. Just tell me who you are.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay,

Who in here has the ability, and the capability to take a set of the templates (hard copies) and transform them into something useful? Jay (damifino) is already getting a set, but with his work load, I don't think it's fair to expect him to do it. If someone has a large format copier, then maybe this is the way to go, and just make sets of copies available to whomever needs them. What does everyone think? Let's hear from several of you about this...

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm going to go ahead and post the wing parts here, so everyone knows how much they need.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And some more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris, I can't open either set of the files on the website. They are compressed, and my winzip will not open them. The DXF file is corrupted, or is a bad file, and I cannot open it either.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Guys, don't be alarmed. Hard copies do exist. I think that we can get this worked out, and make it easier for everyone than to have to make multiple copies and send them via snail mail. There is an engineering company down the street, and perhaps I can get some ideas from them.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

(holding hand up) I am me, Edwin #28. Just caught that last night. I dont think I have an alter personality. Do I? No you dont! How do I know? Just trust me!
    Edwin