Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 705 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

Well Bill here it is all dressed up and no where to go raining up here in N.Y.,Bye for now Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19330.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	514080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23533.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	514081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38303.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	514082  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shore is purty. My hat's off to you, Chris. I hope you have a blast flying this one. Weather here in Sunny Florida has been kind of rotten for the past few days. It'll be nice and Sunny one minute, and raining cats and dogs the next. Oh, well, there's always next weekend.

Bill, AMA 4720
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you Bill I have to thank you and all the others for the help,I had no plans in the repair ,without you gentlemen it would all be poke and hope.Yours is also looking real sweet ,your almost to the rewarding part, the paint,almost like grabbing the flag at the top of the mountain.Keep up the craftsmanship, there are only a few of us left!Smooth landings ,hold the flair Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Small world Chris, I'm sitting here looking at your pictures, my Waco is sitting here in the same color base coat and the red is on the shelf.... to top it off, I drove past Ravena today on my way back from Rhinebeck, nice area.
    http://scalebuilder.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jim smaller than we all realize and getting smaller.Do you go to the rhinebeck show in the fall I went years ago.Stop in some time if your going by I live on the street next to the ford dealership right off 9w.We fly behind the ravena high school about a mile back 5 minutes from my house.I hope mine helps with your color choice I really like it,the acid test was my wife she really likes it.I painted it when I was recovering from a hernia operation took forever to mask but that was ok couldent do anything anyway.Good luck with yours Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chris1949
    Do you go to the rhinebeck show in the fall...
    You're talking about the scale rally, not the regular shows I assume? I've been trying to get work schedules to synchronize for years, haven't made it yet.[>:]

I've been going to Rhinebeck for the regular shows since I took my wife there on our honeymoon, I can't get enough of the place, and luckily my wife is understanding. This time the kids were old enough and they came too. They enjoyed it too more than I expected. I think they enjoyed the Duchess County fair much more though.

Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on it next year; I'm trying to arrange a trip with a bunch of my scale buddies to fly at the show next year (didn't happen again this year due to work commitments again). I believe Wacos would just make the period requirements for the show.... anyone interested in joining in with their Wacos (or any other period aircraft)?

Not quite the same color scheme, pretty close though. Close enough I had my wife take a look at your pics and she approves. It seems she's getting tired of yellow.
    http://scalebuilder.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here my 33% Genesis Waco, RCS 215cc,

Name:	Ig12705.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	515463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95314.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	515464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot47335.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	515465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cv61975.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	515466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gr93780.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	515467  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gx30230.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	515468  
    Aircraft Modelers Research

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Add me to the list of 1/5th Waco builders
    Scratch building this one from Pica plans and templates, even bending my own wire LOL

So far I am really enjoying it. I did get the wing ribs laser cut though [:-]

I have a Saito 170 3 cylinder that I am wanting to use but, the rail mount construction has me worried a bit. Don't want to add too much weight adapting a firewall etc. May just go with a 1.25 single.

Hoping it flies as well as my 1/6 Dave Platt YMF that I sold!

Name:	Db84355.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	516710  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Add me to the list of 1/5th Waco builders
    Scratch building this one from Pica plans and templates, even bending my own wire LOL

So far I am really enjoying it. I did get the wing ribs laser cut though [:-]

I have a Saito 170 3 cylinder that I am wanting to use but, the rail mount construction has me worried a bit. Don't want to add too much weight adapting a firewall etc. May just go with a 1.25 single.

Hoping it flies as well as my 1/6 Dave Platt YMF that I sold!
    You don't appear to be too far along to change the firewall. Use the forward former (i will look up the number if I need to, but replace the stock former with one that you cut from 1/4" ply. eliminate most of the maple engine bearers, but dead end them at the back of the new firewall. Then dummy up your engine, add your blind nuts, and you are home free. The balsa block fuse end will be epoxied to the new firewall, and the rest is easy. I do this mod to all my 1/5th WACO's and I use the OS 1.60 twin for power. The triple Saito should be an outstanding choice for this bird. E-mail me if you don't understand what I told you, and we can either go back and forth in that medium, or we can do it on the phone. I'll talk you through it. It's worth the effort.

Bill, AMA 4720
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I understand, thanks for your effort. Attaching a firewall to 4B is simple enough, cut the beams flush and use them to help support the new 1/4 " firewall etc etc. Run blind nuts through both the ply F-4B and the 1/4 inch. I guess the fuel tank is the biggest hurdle!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I understand, thanks for your effort. Attaching a firewall to 4B is simple enough, cut the beams flush and use them to help support the new 1/4 " firewall etc etc. Run blind nuts through both the ply F-4B and the 1/4 inch. I guess the fuel tank is the biggest hurdle!
    Actually not. Before you attach the new firewall, drill a hole at each of the rear corners of the tank box. Using these holes as a guide, cut the back out of the tank box, and you now have a tail loader. You may have to enlarge the aft bulkhead hole, but you can close this on up after the tank installation is complete.

Bill, AMA 4720

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bill,
    I purchased a 16oz Hayes tank, new old stock. Fits in the tank compartment like a glove. I will have to cut 6B and 7B in order to get the longer slim tank out. Little worried about cutting 7B, it supports the main gear rear wire.

Any thoughts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bill,
    I purchased a 16oz Hayes tank, new old stock. Fits in the tank compartment like a glove. I will have to cut 6B and 7B in order to get the longer slim tank out. Little worried about cutting 7B, it supports the main gear rear wire.

Any thoughts?

Yep, once the tank is installed to your liking, take a piece of ply and epoxy it over the piece of wood that you removed from 7B. This will give you adequate strength. If you are that worried about the geat being as sturdy as a tank, then use some nylon straps in conjuction with the gear blocks.

The piece of wood should go from one side of the fuse to the other. This will add back the torsional ridgidity that you have taken away by cutting the former to allow for the tank. I am using a Hayes 16 oz slimlike tank in mine as well. Works like a champ and feeds my 160 twin all I want for a flight.

Bill, AMA 4720

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was thinking along the same lines.

I'm getting excited

Thanks Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I am going to take one of the kits of the WACO (Ihave several of them) and scan each part. There are no parts on the plans, so you either must redraw the parts by tracing, or by scanning. I will have an exact template for each part. I would be happy to make a copy for you , and then you can build this one using the plans from your friend. You can get the cowl and wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties.

Bill, AMA 4720

I bought a Platt 1/6th Waco kit. I understand it was one of the very first. The die-cutting was superb. I didn't have the heart to build this collector's item so in my usual fashion I traced every die cut part out with particular care. I then took my pattern sheet to a copier that has a dead on machine and copied the .3 mm 2H lead tracings and made reusable patterns using my regular method. I then obtained a set of 1/5 plans and parts patterns from a friend. The previous coping of these plans and crude patterns distorted everything. The 1/5th Pica does have a comprehensive manual that came in handy and unlike the 1/6th Platt manual it inclubed a BOM. After studying the 1/5 I realized there was little difference between the 2 except for size. The 1/5 has bulkheads in halves that are one piece in the smaller kit.

The 1/6 Platt Waco has 4 sheets of plans and allows for a built up wing tip. Later Pica versions had plastic. In order to optimise my building experience for the 1/5th Waco I took my 1/6th set of plans (4 small plan sheets and the pattern sheet on 30" wide paper) to the copy shop and had all sheets enlarged to 120% of original. Because of the size of the original plans, everything was enlarged onto 36" wide paper. Building a 1/5th scale from the enlarged Platt 1/6th scale is a joy. I am kit cutting now. I treat myself to Fiberglass Specialties Epoxy glass parts. I have made wooden wheelpants and found it rewarding. They end up like little drums. If you knock on them they sound the same. If they don't, they're not and if done properly, surpass glass parts in appearance.

I have learned to accept ARFs. I will walk by them all to see the humblest homebuilt model. Certainly many ARFs exceed the abilities of many modelers. There is only one way to overcome that though. Build! I believe that building and flying are unique skills. There are modelers who can fly circles around guys who can build circles around them.

Personally ARFs do not interest me. Each to their own though. I do wish that every field had the product of builders labour but that is entirely subjective on my part and not without hipocracy. Every engine I have owned was an ARF.

Edited for spelling
    Main love is Midwest CAP232 with OS 33GT
    '69 El Camino 406 stroker 456 locker and she pulls drag legal.11 sec. Much better looking than I.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, It's Sunday afternoon, It's been raining here in sunny Florida, and I got the servo mounts done in the lower wing. The bottom wing is now covered, and I will prime it tomorrow (Labor Day). I've been working on the cockpit as well.

Bill, AMA 4720

Name:	Us54187.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	518387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt63207.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	518388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm22455.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	518389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn32954.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	518390  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And a few more.

Bill, AMA 4720

Name:	Pn37071.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	518391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up49027.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	518392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp33644.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	518393  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi bill went to fly my waco the other day didnt go well,with a castering tail wheel it was a bear an the ground.I thought I had plenty of airspeed,obviously not, did the meanest wing over I ever saw.Good news is minimal damage no tears a few scars .I felt like I got away with something,it lives to fight another day Phew! yours is looking great have you grabbed the flag yet Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No time to grab the flag yet. Gotta wait until I'm at the top. If all else fails, Lock your tailwheel straight ahead, and get rid of the free caster business. That's a guarenteed disaster waiting to happen.

Bill, AMA 4720
    (WACO Brotherhood #1)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's finally ready for the color!!!!

Bill, AMA 4720

Name:	Rp44449.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	521166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa87121.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	521167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69808.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	521168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey71499.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	521169  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bill,
    save me from going back and reading etc, can you explain your finishing process?

I plan on using super coverite and Klasscote epoxy paint, hoping I won't have to prime
    (will have to go read the fine print)

Here is my progress so far. I am going with the Saito 170 3 cylinder. The radial mount fits around the fuel tank opening. Very easy to setup!

Name:	Sq46759.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	521301  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never used Klass Kote. If it is similar to the old (and sadly missed) Pettit Hobby-Poxy, then primer is not needed. As I said, I have no experience with the Class Kote products, but I'm sure that someone here does.

My finishing process is pretty simple. I cover with Koverall, apply 2-3 coats of Nitrate dope (thinned 50-50) and then applications of automotive primer with sanding between coats. I try to lose all the weave of the fabric. Next I apply the color (normally automotive two-stage acrylic) usually 2 coats. After the color outgasses, I apply the final clearcoat (again automotive paint) last is the compounding (using machine compound) and then comes the final application of machine glaze and wax. It's pretty simple, very durable and is fuel proof (at least to the amount of nitro that I use) as long as you clean it up within a couple of hours after flying. Simple Green works well for clean-up, as does any cleaner that you would use around the home (except bleaches) I''m thinking of 409, fantastic, windex and there are probably others. I stopped looking when I found the one that I liked best.

Bill, AMA 4720

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice, looking forward to seeing it when you're done!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one being finished as well. As soon as it is, I'll be starting on another one...just like it, and another one after that, and another one after that etc, etc. It's great to be alive, and building WACO's.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I decided that since I needed a couple of tubes to act as drains; one for the crankcase, and the other for a fuel tank overflow/vent, why not do them in a scale looking manner. Here is what I came up with. Acouple of pieces of brass tubing, and a piece of flat brass stock, some solder and a couple of screws, and...

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Db86188.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	521847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73301.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	521848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot48697.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	521849  

Page 5 of 705 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast