Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Mitch,

CONGRATS on your awards.
I do have a question thought, what is or who is the "Grey Silver Awards"

GEORGE
WACO Brotherhood # 5
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
mogman

I spent today drilling lots and lots of tiny little holes and the filling them back in again! I should mention that I am really starting to hate rivets, (tiny brass round head brads)

Between the ailerons and the cowl work there are 1840 of the little bu**ers! Cowl "plates" made out of 1/32 ply. I had to basically eyeball the shapes and sizes using John's picture CD as a reference.

Not "scale" scale but close enough for me as a representation. If this plane turns out even half as good as nine-o-nine's, I'll be happy.
Great job, Mitch. Congratulatons on your Top Gun awards,

Cheers,
Dave.

W/B #180
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71705.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1604902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13689.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1604903  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi George, The Grey Eagle award is an honor symbol given to a Top Gun participant and veteran of the hobby over 60. I'm very proud to have been selected this year. Mitch
Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 PM
ceije

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

To the ENTIRE Waco Brotherhood.....
You MUST put your tee shirt pre-orders to me via snail mail. I collect a folder that way and when the design,color and price is decided I'll be able to place an order when the total is 75 units or more. Mail to:
Mitch Epstein 651 N. Main St. Leominster, MA 01453 Thanks Brothers. Mitch (Nine O Nine) WB100
mitch,
fyi, i sent you a request for shirts today, along with a check. if or when you decide not enough orders have been placed then return it otherwise not to worry.
have a great day,

chris melhus ceije #196
Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 AM
kvlasblom

Just a quick message to show my progress on my WACO SRE dashboard.
Just need to make the central piece now, and then the whole thing can finally go into the fuselage.

Name:	Cz79996.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1606063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21642.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1606064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71778.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1606065  
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

That sure is a lot of drilling and riveting looking great can’t what to see her at monster plane or top gun.

Kvlasblom,

Your dash looks fantastic how about some more pictures. Love to see her.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
kvlasblom

Thanks Dan.
The rest is still all rough woodwork I'm afraid. Once the dashboard is in I hope to make faster progress.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
aminiet

kvlasblom.

Great work on the instrument panel. I though mine was good but I think yours is better.

Angel
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM
kvlasblom

Have you built an SRE too?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Angel,

From what I understand, Claude did not make any formal, complete, detailed plans, just some rough building plans. I do not think the AMA or anyone has a copy of them.

The Cleveland plans are enlargements of a small rubber powered planes and the originals drawings have enhancements (enlaged tail feathers) for rubber flight which are also on the larger plans. The S3HD Plans also show a couple of locations for the stab (fuselage and fin mountings) and 3 fin and rudder profiles for the different ''D'' models (JHD, WHD, S3HD). It will also show the rubber powered nose button elnarged to 1/4 scale, rubber prop and the static Hamilton prop for display. The plans do have the formers and rib outlines. It would take a bit of work to redraw the plans to be used for 1/4 scale R/C but they could be used as a starting point.

1/4 scale D plans and 1/5th scale E plans by WE Tech from Scale Aero under license from Orbit Electronics, Inc. 5504 Fairbanks, El Paso, TX 79924

http://004edc4.netsolhost.com/BAWET/...l_Effinger.htm

$52 for the WHD plan at 98 inch span. It would appear to be the full set that AMA wants $92 for partial of. It is the 25% WE Tech D and does not specify number of sheets. Not an easy find as I thought the HOM resourse list would have had it included.

$49.50 for 1/5th scale SRE Plan 83.5 inch span The 25% Waco D wheel cuffs look the same as the 25% YMF pant cuff.

They work on my larger Waco pants for cabin models.

Thank you Skylark for posting larger photos recently. They are large enough to glean more useful info from.

Name:	Zx70755.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1607090  
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
aminiet

To kblasblom.

Mine is a UMF painted with the Cuban Navy color scheme.

Joe Average.

Coincidence that you posted about the WHD plans from W.E. Tech. Services.
I just read a reply e mail from the AMA giving me a phone number for AIR AGE to ask them if they have them. They don't. Talked to some one at the AMA store who told me they did not have any plans of this model.
I do have a copy of the plans from W.E. Tech. Services and they are a full set drawn to 1/4 scale, S3HD-A, There are a few issues with the plans that need to be changed such as the number of stringers on the fuselage and numbers of ribs on the wing, and how the lower wing mates to the fuselage. Otherwise the outline looks good.

Angel
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
skylarkmk1

Joe Average,

You hit on the reason I did not include the AMA version of the W.E.Tech plans for the D model, they are incomplete.

The larger pictures are due to changes made by RCU. Before I had to reduce a 2 mb picture down to less than 1 mb or I would get the infamous "File to Large" message. Now I can upload a larger file without problems.

What is your source for the cuffs? I would like to add it to the resouce file.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 AM
amscat

John - has there been any more info about the HoM site? Are there plans for an alternative?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
skylarkmk1

Andy,

I don't know any more than what was said a few weeks ago and don't have any idea about a replacement for the HoM. In the meantime, ask a question here or e-mail me and I will see what I can do to answer it. I do have most of the HoM stuff downloaded to my computer (and backed up as well). The resource page is updated as I find new info or find out the resouce is no longer available.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
amscat

John - I actually have all the stuff as well. I was just concerned that the info we all have will become dated. I had sent a note to Chris last year asking for an update to HoM; he said he would do it but I guess never got around to it before he dropped out.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
acerc

skylarkmk1,
Do you have any photo's of the top side of the top wing showing the fuel tank area. I'm currently cutting template's for everything that goes on after covering and don't have any definitive view's of that part.

Thank's
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 AM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Joe Average,

You hit on the reason I did not include the AMA version of the W.E.Tech plans for the D model, they are incomplete.

The larger pictures are due to changes made by RCU. Before I had to reduce a 2 mb picture down to less than 1 mb or I would get the infamous ''File to Large'' message. Now I can upload a larger file without problems.

What is your source for the cuffs? I would like to add it to the resouce file.
Glad to see the big pics.

I see the AMA has removed the incomplete $92 4 sheet set of WE Tech D plans from their list and replaced it with the $55 set. I have that now "11" sheet set and I don't know how that much paper can be sold for that much money. Precision Fiberglass was the source for all the D parts. They were the sole provider for several parts for many timeless subjects. Precision has gone out of business although their inventory of molds is for sale, or was 8 months ago.

Mr. kvlasblom is a real craftsman. There are many craftsmen here but I have told him that "He's Good" a few times. This time is for general consumption. Check the radio!!!! and thanks for sharing some technique Mr. K.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
kvlasblom

Gee, thanks! -But there's always room for improvement.
I build far too slow. And that dashboard, well, it doesn't even count towards points at F4C competitions. But I decided that if I was going to make it scale, all of it should be. "If you're going to do a job, do it properly"...
I ought to put more time in practising my flying, God knows I need it!
Anyway, thank you for the compliment!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM
skylarkmk1

acerc,

P1 - This has most of the top detail at the center section. The fuel vents and caps for the tanks, the tank top sides that form the upper wing surface, the joining strap (in the center), hand holds, mirror, storage compartment cover, the different windshields for the front and rear cockpits, the pilots and passengers positions in the cockpits and a bit more. This is a 1987 Waco Classics Aircraft YMF, F5-009, NC 14081, the last YMF by WCA to be built to the 1935 dimensions (landing gear length, Tail wheel height, fuselage length/width, etc.). I do not have any pictures of an early (1935 era) YMF. I do have some of a 1932 UBF and QCF center sections that do not have the hard tank top as the upper surface of the center section, just fabric, which is similar to the YMF/UMFs of that era.

P2 – A closer view of the caps and vents and center strip.

Contact Alan "Hank" Jackson for a CD with pictures of his 1934 UMF, NC 14031 (yes, the Pica and Matt subject plane). PM me and I will forward you his e-mail. NC 14031 has a fabric covered tank with the fuel caps at the outside ends of the tanks and the vents in the center. Of notable interest is NC 14031 in its current configuation has a Continental engine with a YMF (Jacobs) Cowl. When it left the factory it was YMF with the Jacobs engine and the change to a Continental was believed to have been done in the 1960s before Hank got the plane.

Name:	Pn35185.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1607418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94215.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1607419  
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 AM
tmac48

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all, I have a bit of a problem that someone might be able to help we with. I am in the process of applying the rib stitching as supplied by scale rib stitch and in the directions they say to remove the heavy backing from the stitching,apply to model and then remove the top backing and then apply the covering tape( pinked tape) , However try as I might I just can seem to find the top backing. It must be there because the cotton (simulated stitching ) is under this and when I try to remove the covering it takes the stitching with it. I was wondering if anyone else has used this product and if so how did they find it . It appears to me that the top covering is the fine sticky tap that should be left behind when the backing is removed,if this makes sense to anyone. What is left at the moment is rather fat and just does not look right under the cover tape. The top backing is so thin that the only way you can remove it is by rolling it back on itself, like removing Durex or thin sticky tape from glass.
Regards tmac
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM
acerc

Sorry tmac I can't be of any help.
But finally, finally I got to get started on covering. Rudder and elevator, the worst parts to cover for me.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
mogman

ORIGINAL: tmac48

Hi all, I have a bit of a problem that someone might be able to help we with. I am in the process of applying the rib stitching as supplied by scale rib stitch and in the directions they say to remove the heavy backing from the stitching,apply to model and then remove the top backing and then apply the covering tape( pinked tape) , However try as I might I just can seem to find the top backing. It must be there because the cotton (simulated stitching ) is under this and when I try to remove the covering it takes the stitching with it. I was wondering if anyone else has used this product and if so how did they find it . It appears to me that the top covering is the fine sticky tap that should be left behind when the backing is removed,if this makes sense to anyone. What is left at the moment is rather fat and just does not look right under the cover tape. The top backing is so thin that the only way you can remove it is by rolling it back on itself, like removing Durex or thin sticky tape from glass.
Regards tmac
I just had a look at the roll that I just received from Scale stitch. I managed to start peeling back the heavy tape on one side and the thin almost clear tape on the other side. the tape with the cotton stitch is sticky both sides. I didn't remove very much of the tape because I'm not quite to that stage yet, but it separated rather easily.

Perhaps drop him an e-mail. I found him very accomodating to deal with.

Cheers,
Dave.

W/B #180
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
tmac48

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys, I did drop Ken an email and all is sorted,another shipment on its way. You are correct he is a stand up guy, I am embarrassed that this has happened and I have offered to at least pay for the postage. Again thanks for the replies.
Tmac
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An update on ol Stickbuilder's health issues. I went to see the Cardiologist yesterday and got some good news and some that is not so good. The good news is that The recent heart attack (December 10) did not cause more damage than was already done to my heart (June 03). The bad news is that the bypasses have not improved the circulation and the discharge ratio, which is still at about 35%. Since the discharge ratio is so low, he is concerned that I will have cardiac arrest, and wants me to have a miniature defibrillator installed. Without it, an experience of cardiac arrest will be >95% fatal. With it, the same arrest would be <2% fatal. Guess what I'm going to get put in. This one is a no brainer, but I'll be out of commission for a few days. It is going to happen in the next couple of weeks (the scheduling nurse is working on that), so I'll keep you informed.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 AM
acerc

Good luck, Wish you the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.