Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: skypup50

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello all,

Well, I really went and did it today not once but twice. The first time I attempted to take off I ended up side down cracked the wheel pants but other then that ok should have stopped then but I went at it again and I believe the correct term is tip stall about ten feet off the ground hit hard and broke both wings, wheel pant, Bent landing gear and broke the stabilizer O I also busted up the cowl pretty good. Needless to say I was pretty upset and ready to give up and say it wasn’t meant to be but by the time I got home I cooled down and got in the repair mode. It will take some time but she will fly again.

Was it a CG problem, wing incidence, washout in the tips or getting off to slow? Thanks for the insights.
Skypup

No CG problems or incidence the plane flew great that same day by some one else. For some reason I just haven’t been able to shake that last bit of fear when it comes to flying the Waco. May be now that I cracked her up I can relax a bit more when I fly her again.
I have the tail section removed and cleaned up this time I will make the stab adjustable. It could have been much worse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17552.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1663064  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Yank II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zor has landed over on the Aurora 9 Forum and is causing troubles over there like he did here. How did you guys get rid of him and where can we send him?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: skypup50

Hello all,

Well, I really went and did it today not once but twice. The first time I attempted to take off I ended up side down cracked the wheel pants but other then that ok should have stopped then but I went at it again and I believe the correct term is tip stall about ten feet off the ground hit hard and broke both wings, wheel pant, Bent landing gear and broke the stabilizer O I also busted up the cowl pretty good. Needless to say I was pretty upset and ready to give up and say it wasn’t meant to be but by the time I got home I cooled down and got in the repair mode. It will take some time but she will fly again.

Was it a CG problem, wing incidence, washout in the tips or getting off to slow? Thanks for the insights.
Skypup

No CG problems or incidence the plane flew great that same day by some one else. For some reason I just haven’t been able to shake that last bit of fear when it comes to flying the Waco. May be now that I cracked her up I can relax a bit more when I fly her again.
I have the tail section removed and cleaned up this time I will make the stab adjustable. It could have been much worse.

Good luck with the rebuild. That is always disheartening until you get over the grief and then get determined to get her flying again! I fly helis also and the main two things I like about those. It's easy to bring them back to spec and they are easy to store and transport.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Yank II

Zor has landed over on the Aurora 9 Forum and is causing troubles over there like he did here. How did you guys get rid of him and where can we send him?
I'll fess up. I dropped a dime on him. I think he was made an offer that he could not refuse.[8D] As far as to where to send him, I'd be in favor of RCGroups. Let Billy Hell (AKA Jim Graham) deal with him. They ought to get along famously. Nothing like a couple of know it all's in the same place to be entertaining.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 AM
ceije

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Yank II

I'll fess up. I dropped a dime on him. I think he was made an offer that he could not refuse.[8D] As far as to where to send him, I'd be in favor of RCGroups. Let Billy Hell (AKA Jim Graham) deal with him. They ought to get along famously. Nothing like a couple of know it all's in the same place to be entertaining.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Bill,

I thein you could drop an entire Mint on him and he still wouldn't GET IT!!![8D][8D]

chris melhus ceije #196
Old 09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
JoeAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

I need some assistance from the Brotherhood. I market all the Bill Effinger Designs. You may have only known of Bill's
work either as Bill Buckely, Buckely Models, or WET, W.E. Technical Services. Bill was an aeronautical engineer who's designs
were typically 25 to 30% lighter weight, yet very large for the era in which they were originally released.

Bill never had fiber glass for his designs. Instead he contracted with a gentleman in Michigan who stopped laying up glass a long
time ago, followed by someone who sucome to the ills of diabetes loosing his legs so he too stopped laying up glass parts in
support of Bill's designs. We have managed to purchase and are in the act of bringing in all the fiber glass molds for all the WET
designs....

however...

The 1/4 Scale WACO WHD fiber glass parts which ''were'' available from proper molds....are no longer available because molds
have disappeared. Due to the health of the person we purchased molds from, it was impossible to learn if he sold or lost the molds.

If anyone in the WACO Brotherhood has the cowl, wheel pants, and fairings for the WET WACO WHD we are asking for help.
We would like to use your fiber glass parts to make new molds for these items.

Does anyone here have the cowl, wheel pants and fairings for the WET aka Bill Effinger Designs 1/4 scale WACO WHD ? ? ? ? ?

I bought all of the molds from precision that I thought were any good including the Waco D 3pc cowl mold. Both pants have 2 halves and then there 4 strut fairing molds. The lower wheel fairings can be nicely applied to any 25% Waco pant. They are all in near perfect shape or better and professionally made. I may consider selling the set. It's not practical to loan them.

Someone wanted the molds for these. Sorry that reasonable wouldn't have sufficed. Free would be great though. Could I have picked up the postage too????
Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
skylarkmk1

JoeA,

No need to shout though a megaphone. You seem to be implying that a brotherhood member has the molds. I tend to doubt that as the brotherhood members are generally generous and help each other out whenever we can.

If the parts that are in your pictures are in your possession and are in good shape, reverse engineer them and make new molds from them. Whoops, I see that is what you intend to do if you can find the parts. If that is not possible, it may be time to carve new patterns for the molds from the plans.

If anyone here has a clue or any information, please get in touch with JoeAverage and help him out, it is at least the third time he has requested help in finding the molds.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can always do as we did and build a plug and have it converted into a mold for parts. We did that in concert with Stan's Fibertech to get our YMF cowling. Why don't you do the same for the one that you need?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Bill & John, If this is one of many calls for FREE plugs from joe -maybe he'll have to do as you've suggested [ and we've all done if you really need it ] & carve your own. Bill. WB #126, AMA 6416
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM
lrayj

Hey Gentlemen. I know I have not been here for sometime. I have now maidened the WACO and the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnhhqsMoNo

Lonnie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85190.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1664311  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 AM
skypup50

That looks and sounds great. Nice day for flying. Great job.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM
lrayj

The WACO seemed to be under powered with a DA-150. Thinking of replacing with a DLE-170. The right landing gear is slightly bent from the hard landing. The temp was 77 degrees and I do not think it will fly on a hot day in the 90's. Rudder was totally ineffective on take off. Had to change to give full throw to keep it on the runway. Aileron was totally ineffective until rudder was applied. No aileron turns at all. Will also have to increase the amount of throw on the elevator. Even though it appeared to fly well in the video the controls were very mushy.

Lonnie
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
skypup50

Guys

My 1/6 60" Pica YMF bipe kit arrived a few minutes ago. I bought the complete kit for $101.00. With shipping it came to $117.61. I am working on other projects. If anyone is interested let me know. I thought it was a great price. I have a 100% ebay record and believe I have a good rating here also. Thought I'd pass it to fellow modelers here first.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Lonnie,

Congratulations on your maiden flight can’t what to see her up close hope to see you at next Top Gun
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 AM
lrayj

Thanks Dan. Hope to see you there

Lonnie
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
acerc

Very nice Lonnie. Looked scale to me, power wise and all.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Skypup50, why selling ? just received. Are you not happy with your kit? something wrong. I have one of those kits. the kit itself is great but the box was in pretty rough shape. I might be interested in buying.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
skypup50

I loved this kit and framed one up years ago and sold it when I was too busy at work. I'm 61 now and am not sure if I will really build it. I'm also interested in helis for the last 13 years and am eyeing up a new heli. I have yet to open the package but here's is the one I bought:

Try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190574061401...84.m1423.l2649

Shopping.com
MODEL AIRPLANE KIT "PICA DAVE PLATT WACO-YMF-3"

Enlarge

Sell one like this

Item condition: New
Ended: Sep 13, 201108:21:40 PDT
Bid history:
9 bids
Winning bid: US $102.50

Add to list

Shipping: $15.21 Economy Shipping
| See all shipping details
Delivery:
Estimated within 5-11 business days. help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Returns:
7 days money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read return policy details
Learn moreabout eBay Buyer Protection - opens in a new window or tab

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM
rccrasher65

Skypup50, Sorry about that, looks like kit was in water. thanks anyways.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: rccrasher65

I better open it. If that's the case he has a 7 day refund policy. I'll return it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM
skypup50

I checked it out and you are right. I think it sat in a damp basement. The decals are not useable. I wrote to the seller to let him know that I would be returning it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
rccrasher65

Skypup50, I agree, get you money back on that one. Did he state condition of kit when selling, definately in water.I would ask for a complete refund.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
skypup50

Skypup50, I agree, get you money back on that one. Did he state condition of kit when selling, definately in water.I would ask for a complete refund.
He listed a 7 day return, buyer pays shipping. Guess I'm out a few bucks on shipping.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
rccrasher65

RCplanman, Go back in the thread about 2 months, might be 3 I saw someone answering your post about having a set he would sell.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM
rccrasher65

I would rather be out a few bucks for shipping, than getting stuck with that musty mess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.