Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 584 of 708 FirstFirst ... 84484534574582583584585586594634684 ... LastLast
Results 14,576 to 14,600 of 17690

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

One more question,and I think I know the answer.  Do both cylinders fire at the same time? Or are the cycles altermating?  My guess is they fire at the same time.

Joe
    "When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

AMA # 8870, Member since 1978.
    Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They fire alternately, you will feel that first time you rotate the engine by hand.

Skipb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skipb

They fire alternately, you will feel that first time you rotate the engine by hand.

Skipb
    Very interesting.

Thanks.
    "When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Brothers, after almost 2 years my 1/5 Pica Waco is now ready for pait and covering. I would like to replicate the blue and cream color scheme of the Pica Kit to take advantage of the supplied decals but I am experiencieng some trouble in finding color pictures that would tell me the right tone of blue. The kit box besides being obviously unrealiable, is so faded away I can't even tell that the airplane in picture was once blue...
    Any one out there who has solve this blue color problem previously?

Thanks,

Biplano

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: biplano

Dear Brothers, after almost 2 years my 1/5 Pica Waco is now ready for pait and covering. I would like to replicate the blue and cream color scheme of the Pica Kit to take advantage of the supplied decals but I am experiencieng some trouble in finding color pictures that would tell me the right tone of blue. The kit box besides being obviously unrealiable, is so faded away I can't even tell that the airplane in picture was once blue...
    Any one out there who has solve this blue color problem previously?

Thanks,

Biplano
    What is the N Number of the plane you want to replicate?\

Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Biplano,

Contact Alan Jackson [hankjackson53@yahoo.com] as he is the current owner of NC 14031, the Waco YMF that is the subject of Pica's earlier Blue plane. It is also the subject of the Paul Matt drawings that you can study for the positioning of the cream boarders and such. Alan has a CD for sale of pictures of NC 14031 taken in the last couple of years. It was restored without the personal markings of Mr Patterson (the original owner), the white eagle , or triangle fin marking. The cockpit combing was not installed on either cockpit during restoration. The cowl is a Jacobs Cowl (evenly spaced blisters) even though it is powered by a Continental engine.

The colours according to Alan are "The original factory build sheet states Berry Bros. Insignia Blue.. Bought Sig Insignia blue that wasn't within a row of trees to the real color (way too red and black). Have a friend with an original Berry Brothers color card, did our best to match that. SIG insignia blue mixed with Diana Cream did a good job; may have been 3 parts blue and one part cream. Somewhere I have that info, but can't lay my fingers on it at the moment).

Ray Brandly, National Waco Club president and holder of the Waco factory archives at the time, provided info the trim stripe was Berry Red with cream trim. This was stated below a factory picture of the airplane and is the only documentation for that combination we have seen (Tennessee Red a good match).

One deviation we made is that the interior was two different shades of red fabricoid. We used blue leather, which we purchased before we had the build sheet. Paul Matt indicated the color of the interior as blue leather, which adds to a number of errors in his drawings and data, including reference to Navy blue vs. insignia blue.

The red pinstripe is on the inside of the cream wing trim and around the numbers. Cream edge only at the outside perimeter of the wings."

I believe the Dana Cream is a good match for the cream colour on NC 14031. If you have more questions about NC14031 ask me - skylarkmk1 or Alan.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got to spend some quality time in the hanger and started with the engine mounting. I used the front plate of the cowl mounting assembly to measure the distance from the firewall to the thrust plate. It looks like the Saito 125 will just fit inside the cowl without a cutout for the rocker covers. I'm still working on an exhaust system to keep it inside the cowl and exit the bottom.

Jaybird
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58357.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1746593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40916.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1746594  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I purchased the CD from Hank. It has a complete walk around with alot of closeups to show detail. Well worth the few dollars he wants for it.

Larry
    WB 183

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you John, that was really helpful. I am contacting Alan right away.

Best,

Biplano

Everybody....check out the pix of Lonnie Johnston's YMF in the new issue of Model Airplane News. One on the contents page and the other in the piece about TopGun entries. It'll be entered in the team scale category and should static score very well. I hope that I'll be able to do it justice with decent flying scores. Having seen a look at the list of entries it'll be the toughest competiton in the world!!!!! Mitch WB100

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Everybody....check out the pix of Lonnie Johnston's YMF in the new issue of Model Airplane News. One on the contents page and the other in the piece about TopGun entries. It'll be entered in the team scale category and should static score very well. I hope that I'll be able to do it justice with decent flying scores. Having seen a look at the list of entries it'll be the toughest competiton in the world!!!!! Mitch WB100
    Mitch,

I won't look at the article until the 2nd week in May. Living 3 miles away from Lonnie as I do, it would be very easy for me to go and look it over, but it would be most unfair. You are correct about Top Gun being the toughest competition in the world, and (Lucky Me) I get to be right in the middle of it all. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the guys in.....Geez, it's about 3 weeks now. Bring your asbestos suit. Judging will be hot.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gee thanks guys No pressure

Lonnie
    Lonnie WACO Brotherhood #128

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A question for those with the GP ARF.

I'm trying to figure out if the cowl rings should look like they are slanted backwards when the fuselage is viewed from the side? I'm having trouble getting the engine thrust line set up with the firewall without it looking like the cowl and mounting rings have a positive "up" thrust compared to the fuselage. How does yours look viewed from the side?

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

A question for those with the GP ARF.

I'm trying to figure out if the cowl rings should look like they are slanted backwards when the fuselage is viewed from the side? I'm having trouble getting the engine thrust line set up with the firewall without it looking like the cowl and mounting rings have a positive ''up'' thrust compared to the fuselage. How does yours look viewed from the side?

Jaybird

Are you using the right and down thrust crutch? If you are, something will always look wrong. Either your prop shaft will be gilhooley or your cowl will. If you learn throttle management and learn to use the rudder, you don't need either.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lrayj

Gee thanks guys No pressure

Lonnie
    Lonnie,

If you didn't want any pressure why did you enter Top Gun. It is well known for being the pressure cooker that it is. You are up against the best in the World. You got invited, so relax and enjoy it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will try to relax. Kinda hard to do when your old country boy from the hills of East Tenn going up against the best in the world.

Lonnie
    Lonnie WACO Brotherhood #128

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No crutches, just checking the sight picture. I'm trying to make sure I don't put any side or down thrust in. I use the throttle and rudder when flying my models and full size aircraft. The ARF manual doesn't provide any numbers for incidence or thrust lines so you just have to trust that everything is aligned properly. Since I'm just starting to put things together I wanted to double check with some of the other ARF builders to see if they noticed the same thing.

Saw the picture referred to above in the magazine rack at the hobby shop...impressive to say the least!

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay,

Your bottom wing incidence should be at zero. Your top wing will probably fall somewhere in the 1 degree range either plus or minus. I prefer minus one. The horizontal stab should be somewhere in the 2-2.5 degree range (positive) range. These will be good base numbers for you to start.

With the bottom wing set at zero (just block up the tail until the wing zeros out, and then go from there. Use the bottom wing as your base and everything else should fall in place. You can place a strip of tape along the fuse to represent the datum line then, and work out your engine thrust line from there. That's another thing that I don't like about a model that someone else built. You have to put too much trust into what they did. Everyone seems to think that the GP Waco flies well, so I'd say that they are following the instructions of whomever did the design work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the numbers, that will be great reference to check against. I built an old Great Planes Super Skybolt kit two winters ago and it has similar numbers with the top wing at -1 degree. Flies great! I spent a lot time with two incidence meters setting up the Top Flite SE5a with functional rigging. That had top and bottom wing and elevator designed for +5 degrees incidence to the fuselage longeron. Very odd to look at but again flies well once it was properly set.

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

The tee shirts have been ordered and the printer says they will do 'em Thursday. I've ordered a few extras just in case. Hopefully we'll be able to ship them out on the 11 th or 12th of June (yeah, yeah, this year).

Any T-shirts still available? Medium would be great!

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Best of luck Lonnie! One nice look'n YMF!!!!!!!!!!
    Marko
    WACO Brother #163

Hello all,

Looking forward seeing every one at TG. One of the nice things about working the event is I can get right up front when the time is right. I hope to see Mitch & Lonnie flying at the same time that will be a Kodak moment for sure. Not only will the judging be hot the temps already in the 90s looks like typical TG weather HOT.
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like one of the T-shirts in a XXL. Let me know cost etc when they are available. What color are they?

Joe

Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The post that Jay was talking about was from 2007. Mitch has been taking care of the T shirt business for the past few years. I doubt that any shirts are available at this time. Maybe we need to look at another run. The first one was Tan, next was Maroon, and now Navy. I don't know which color to go with for version 4.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The post that Jay was talking about was from 2007. Mitch has been taking care of the T shirt business for the past few years. I doubt that any shirts are available at this time. Maybe we need to look at another run. The first one was Tan, next was Maroon, and now Navy. I don't know which color to go with for version 4.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Sky Blue, Red, almost anything but green.

Joe

Waco Brotherhood # 219.