Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 618 of 705 FirstFirst ... 118518568608616617618619620628668 ... LastLast
Results 15,426 to 15,450 of 17604

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: ceije

To all, for what it's worth- for those who don't have the time or are not very good at making small parts such as the strut fittings as I am Lou Proctor has a large selection of these to choose from.-

Chris melhus ceije 196

"sometimes you have to build it a little wrong in order for it to look right"DAVE PLATT
    Idid look at what Procter had to offer. That's why Idesigned my own. I didn't see anything that would lend itself to what Ihad in mind. They do have a lot of different small brass parts. The turnbuckles look more like they belong on boats, or WWI type aircraft.

Joe

"When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

AMA # 8870, Member since 1978.
    Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: georgewaldrop

Bill,

I am not a masters class builder, heck I'm barely what anyone in their right mind would call a ''builder'' LOL! What, in your opinion, are the best relatively readily available scale drawings of the Waco, so that I could start studying where I might more easily see/understand which areas you are refering to (leading edge - is the overall shape of the tail surface incorrect or is the thickness of the LE wrong due to the thicker cross section you mention of the surface?) I am enjoying learning more about scale design and building, of which you have been an inspiration. Keep it up!

The best drawings are the archive drawings that I have from the original Factory prints. The problem with the tail feathers begin with the slab and rib design. There is no way that you will ever get a scale outline from that. The original full scale uses ribs, spars and a tubular leading and trailing edge design. It is as far off as are the wing tips. If you put it on the table at Top Gun with a good set of 3 views, you would never be in contention for a trophy.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, do you know if anyone has done a good 3-view from the Waco factory drawings? I have the factory drawings, but there are so many and they are in some weird, difficult to navigate order. It would be nice if someone has already done the hard work and collated everything from the factory drawings into a nice, concise 3-view.
    WACO Brotherhood #228
    Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood #26

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jymster

Bill, do you know if anyone has done a good 3-view from the Waco factory drawings? I have the factory drawings, but there are so many and they are in some weird, difficult to navigate order. It would be nice if someone has already done the hard work and collated everything from the factory drawings into a nice, concise 3-view.
    Here! Here!

Inquiring minds want to know...!!!

Thanks Bill for the information, and jymster for the concise query! Although, I do not have the factory drawings :<(

have a Blessed Day!
    George

George Waldrop~AMA-L1307~IMAA-LM207~Have a Blessed Day!
    Waco Brotherhood #151 ~~ Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #58

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jymster

Be careful what you wish for. If we were to use an accurate set of 3 views, we might not do so well at a contest. If someone wishes to take this on, I will be happy to provide a set of the drawings.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the Waco out yesterday evening and dusted it off. Gonna either need to return to the build, or get after the 27% drawings. Sometimes It's difficult to get into the building mood, but I feel it coming on. So many planes to build, and so little time left.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I need some info from someone with 1/5 waco experience. The evolution 7-35 radial will fit. It generates 2.2 HP and swings a 17" to 18" prop at 1000 to 6300 rpm. Displacement is 35cc and it weighs 3#. It would fit nicely. Is this enough power to fly this plane? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. It's a lot of money and I would not want to screw this up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have flown this plane with a G-23 for several years and befor that I used a 90 and was really scale under powerd for my taste

Jacque
    waco Brotherhood 27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,
    Iā€™d like to see you get back to the build and give me some inspiration I've been in a building slump lately and need a kick start LOL.
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with Dan, regardless of how bad I want a set of those plans...I need some inspiration to get going on mine!
    George Waldrop~AMA-L1307~IMAA-LM207~Have a Blessed Day!
    Waco Brotherhood #151 ~~ Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #58

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: Aluminum struts for the Pica WACO

I currently have expressions of interest from two people for aluminum sheet struts like those I have mounted on my WACO.  I have spoken with the fab shop that made mine, and can buy sets for substantially less than the $105, plus tax I paid if I order in quantity.  Specifically, if I order 2, the cost is $90 each.  If I order 3 sets the cost is $82 each.  4 sets would be $75.50 each.  At five sets the price is down to $75 each.  I do not intend to become a dealer, and will add only shipping at cost for each set.  Please let me know by PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan , get to building, push, push, there it is all the inspiration we all need, need to start adding more posts also, the Fleetbrotherhood is passing us up on posts per day. Happy building, build a WACO!!
    George Waco brother#209

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few posts back, Ishowed you the fitting I made for my N-Struts. I finally finished them over the weekend. They may not have scale ends on them, and the sross section is stream lined rather than a flattened oval, but Idon't think they look too bad. They finished up at four ounces for the set. Total costs about fifteen dollars or so counting the brass Iused for the end pieces.

My only concern now is the time required to install and dismantle them to go flying. Not to mention the flying wires. I'm not sure if it will go into my Caravan fully assembled. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51093.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1807042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76412.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	1807043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20978.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	1807044  
    "When you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

A few posts back, IĀ*showed you the fitting I made for my N-Struts. I finally finished them over the weekend. They may not have scale ends on them, and the sross section is stream lined rather than a flattened oval, but IĀ*don't think they look too bad.Ā* They finished up at four ounces for the set. Total costs about fifteen dollars or so counting the brass IĀ*used for the end pieces.Ā*

My only concern now is the time required to install and dismantle them to go flying. Not to mention the flying wires.Ā* I'm not sure if it will go into my Caravan fully assembled.Ā* Does anyone have any experience with this?

Joe

Looks good. For quicker assembly/dis-assembly you might consider clevis pins and clips like they use on r/c car hoods. Much quicker than bolts and nuts.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/cle...071&sst=subset

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Does anyone have any experience with this?"

Me. I bought a crew cab dually, and put a camper shell on it:-))))))))))))

Les

Name:	Pn36426.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1807172  

Les I use that system alot. Here is a couple of ideas, make up some wheel chocks to keep things from moving around. The best ones I found hold the axles up so you do not get flat spots on soft tires. Also you might want to make the platform they are sitting on sliding so you can pull it out and save having to climb in the back bent over to get at what is in front. Just a couple of thoughts hope it helps.

Larry
    WB 183

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skypup50

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

My only concern now is the time required to install and dismantle them to go flying. Not to mention the flying wires. I'm not sure if it will go into my Caravan fully assembled. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Joe

Looks good. For quicker assembly/dis-assembly you might consider clevis pins and clips like they use on r/c car hoods. Much quicker than bolts and nuts.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/cle...071&sst=subset
    Iwould like to use clevis pins, but the problem is size. They would have to go through a piece of 1/8 inch brass tubeing. I'm using a 2-56 socket head screw now.

Joe

Waco Brotherhood # 219.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re;  Aluminum landing gear struts

After only one day since I posted my offer I have 3 commitments for aluminum struts for the 1/5 scale Pica WACO.  The unit cost is now down to $82.  The next order will bring the price for all buyers down to $75.50.  I will wait a couple more days before placing the order with the fab shop to see if I get additional inquiries.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe what is the thickness of the brass sheet, you used for your fittings, thanks George
    George Waco brother#209

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jmdunstan

Re;Ā* Aluminum landing gear struts

After only one day since I posted my offer I have 3 commitments for aluminum struts for the 1/5 scale Pica WACO.Ā* The unit cost is now down to $82.Ā* The next order will bring the price for all buyers down to $75.50.Ā* I will wait a couple more days before placing the order with the fab shop to see if I get additional inquiries.

Jim

Are these the inter-plane struts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: Aluminum struts for the 1/5 scale Pica WACO

For those who did not see them earlier - and I can't find the message in this very long thread - here are a couple of photos of my struts and mount. The struts are 5052 aluminum, 1/8" thick. I use a 1/4" bolt that passes through the strut base and supporting ply plate to spring-load the inner brace. This puts the spring force directly into the plywood mount, but makes assembly/disassembly something of a pain, since I cannot unbolt the struts to access the belly area without removing the t-nut on the spring. I used a t-nut because it is much easier to assemble onto the end of the bolt than a separate washer and hex nut. If I were to design this assembly again, I would probably cut back the edge of the plywood so the spring could mount directly onto the base of the strut.

Jim

Name:	Fd90717.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	1807223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs56978.jpg 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1807224  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re:  aluminum struts for the Pica 1/5 scale WACO

I must now close my offer of the subject struts.  I have received 4 confirmed orders, and have released the fab shop to make the struts.  I am willing to consider other requests with the understanding that each new order will start at $115, including tax, and that each additional set with the same order will add $70 to the total.  These are my cost.  My practice, just begun, is to divide the total cost among all buyers within one order.  Shipping is additional, at my cost.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gentlemen.

Regarding the making of the aluminum struts, there is a cheaper way of making then. I used the K&S struts and modify then by cutting the trailing edge lenghtwise and bonding a brass tube for strenght, and sanding to the correct shape. Also I used Dubro's 1/4 turnbuckles cut at the center of the barrel and soldered inside of the brass tube for adjusting the lenght of the strut.
    See page 500 for some pictures of my model.
    SO MANY WACOS, SO LITTLE TIME.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a fixture to reshape the round tubing that I used on my Cabanes. I use a drill press to apply pressure when reshaping the tubing. Here is another picture of the completed Cabanes all silver brazed and ready to finish. I'll be using the fixture to make my Interplane Struts too.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Name:	Ay74804.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	1808239  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,
    Glade to see your Waco back on the work bench. The cabanes look good. Monster planes is coming up soon will you & Janelle be coming down? Hope so.
    Any one else planning on attending monster planes this year? Dave will we be see that big green Waco again this year?
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"