Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 03-06-2007, 05:04 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

---------------

Why not say, "If I was alive and rich back when this plane was being sold, this is how I would have ordered it." Works for me.

Ed Cregger
The saddest part of all this is that they are STILL building and selling this plane, and I AM alive (at least on weekends), but I could sell and mortgage everything I have or have had, and still couldn't afford one. A Plain Jane YMF Classic goes for about 450K with the 275hp Jake. I'll have about 1/500th of that in mine.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

---------------

Why not say, "If I was alive and rich back when this plane was being sold, this is how I would have ordered it." Works for me.

Ed Cregger
The saddest part of all this is that they are STILL building and selling this plane, and I AM alive (at least on weekends), but I could sell and mortgage everything I have or have had, and still couldn't afford one. A Plain Jane YMF Classic goes for about 450K with the 275hp Jake. I'll have about 1/500th of that in mine.
That 450K sounds cheap when you compare what it would actually be like to own one. Sigh, now how do I sneak one past the wife?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi Bill et al,

I have now a MANTRA that I NEED to repeat every morning.

"I have no need of another project.

I do not want another project.

I will NOT become MORE interested in the WACO.

The WACO Brotherhood is EVIL.

Get thee behind me Stickbuilder!"

This thread is soooo seductive.

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.

Waco Brotherhood No. 14.
Watch the spinning propeller.....You are getting very sleepy, you are relaxed, sleep, sleep, when you awaken, you will rember only,
You want a WACO......You want a WACO.....You want a WACO.....You want a WACO.....You want a WACO.....You want a WACO.....

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Hey stickbuilder,

Is the following anywhere near you?

2007 Sun'n Fun Fly-In in Lakeland, Florida, April 17 - 23, 2007
Lakeland Linder Regional Airport

From the WACO Classic Restoration Company, http://www.wacoclassic.com/
Yep, sure is close by. I'm about one hour north of Lakeland Linder (notice I said one hour, not stated in miles) In Florida, one does not dare state distance in miles, due to the overflowing of snowbirds, blue hairs, rednecks and others who clog the roadways. You may actually be 30 miles away from your destination, but you may need to state the distance as 2 hours away. See how it works? I get down to Linder quite often, since it is the site for Florida Jets, Top Gun, Sun'nfun, and quite a bit more. Lakeland is in Polk County, I'm in Lake County, and we adjoin Polk County on it's North border.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Hey,Master Chief --
Just got back from your neck of the woods. On Wed 2/28 headed down to Florida Jets in Lakeland. Spent Thursday at FW 190A8 "White 1" restoration project in Kissimee and Fantasy of Flight in Polk City. Friday and Sat at Fla Jets -- gawdawful weather w/ horrendous crosswinds, but lots of flying anyway -- then Sunday, a gorgeous day, went up to Leesburg to Tim and Peggy Preston's operation, Preston Aviation, and took an hour in the J-3 and an hour in the Stearman. Then on the way home stopped by Hodges Hobbies up in Andersonville Ga. Great trip and you live in a really nice part of the country. Wish I'd had the chance to buy you a cup of coffee.
Al
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Stickbuilder

When you were in the N2S, you were right across the street from the Dealership. I wish you had gotten my phone number, we could have gotten together for lunch. My home is only 4 miles from Leesburg International Airport. So close, and yet so far. I was at the Dealership for a while on Sunday, and saw the J-3 and the N2S flying. Did you see the YMF while you were there? It's yellow with red trim. Looks like the COX ARF version.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Stickbuilder

This evening, I leveled the crutch, and with the fuselage in dead on the bubble condition, placed the original Horizontal Stabilizer mounting plate into the original position, and would you believe, the leading edge is exactly 2 degrees up. Not wanting to open that can of worms again, but I thought it would be nice to check it before it becomes too late to do so. By tomorrow evening, the top rear of the fuselage should be completely built-up and it would be too late to check it then. Most of the original parts will be discarded in favor of the adjustable H-stab.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
mobyal

Didn't see the YMF. Wish I'd known it was there. I went off in the J-3 about 1:15 or so. If you saw the Stearman sometime around 330pm -- 1530 military time; big hand on the 3, little hand on the 6 Air Force time -- it was me.
I also saw a new auto dealership right across the road from Echo Drive. Damn....
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
damifino

Stickbuilder- Not to stir that can of worms, but, do you anticipate much cutting of your wing saddle to obtain zero degress incidence of the lower wing? I think that can it be verified at this stage of construction very easily, even without a wing.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

You guys are killing me LOL
Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
damifino

Come on, I'm being serious here. STICKBUILDER said 'can of worms' first!
Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: damifino

Stickbuilder- Not to stir that can of worms, but, do you anticipate much cutting of your wing saddle to obtain zero degress incidence of the lower wing? I think that can it be verified at this stage of construction very easily, even without a wing.
The worms crawl in....The worms crawl out....The worms play pinocchocle over your snout....and.......Oh, Oops...excuse me...With the fuse level, and the H-stab mounting plate showing 2 degrees of positive incidence, cutting an imiganiary line from the leading edge center, through the trailing edge center shows no incidence delta at all. It's just zeroed out. Of course, that can be altered by how you cut the saddle boards, and how you do the slots in the formers where the saddle mounts, Of course being the meticulous craftsm.....Oops drifting off there again. But it's zero.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Didn't see the YMF. Wish I'd known it was there. I went off in the J-3 about 1:15 or so. If you saw the Stearman sometime around 330pm -- 1530 military time; big hand on the 3, little hand on the 6 Air Force time -- it was me.
I also saw a new auto dealership right across the road from Echo Drive. Damn....
Actually you should have seen about 7 New car dealerships across from Echo drive. We have the sign with the big ol' Bow Tie.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 AM
damifino

Of course, that can be altered by how you cut the saddle boards, and how you do the slots in the formers where the saddle mounts
That's where I was going with those worms... Just wanted to know if there was a 'gotcha' on the plans concerning the shape of the wing saddles or dowel placement. I continue slow and steady dead ahead.

May the current always be against your stern.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Stickbuilder

Jay, when cutting the wing saddles, go slow, and be meticulous (as if you would be anything else) make them exactly the same, and route your mounting holes exactly in the correct location. Formers F-7, F-8 and F-9 set the incidence for the wing saddle. Pay close attention there, and you will be on the money.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Stickbuilder

In my kit the wing saddles came already shaped and the slots in the formers came already cut. These pieces basically interlock together. There should be no way to get them wrong and yet the incidence came out two degrees off relative to the crutch. Of course, I checked and rechecked everything according to the plans and instructions many times over and could not find any deviation from them. Even the measurements were not off, but the incidence sure was.

Bill Hogue
WACO Brotherhood #21
Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Stickbuilder

I have no idea why. I did the leveling of the crutch last night, and mine is on the money. Obviously, something has shifted, or the wing profile is incorrect. It has to be one or the other. The wing fixture is a little troublesome to get right, but when it is right, everything slips together perfectly. Is your trailing edge a little difficult to draw up tight? Did you drill the hole in the former and the doubler correctly? Look and see. I think that you will find the problem there.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Stickbuilder

You bring up some good points as usual. Yes, the trailing edge was not drawing up tight. As part of my 'investigation' I traced the wing profile from the plan and transferred it to some heavy paper to check the profile. It was right except my leading edge had a tighter radius than was on the plan. I reshaped it as best I could and trimmed the saddle in that area to compensate. The wing fit okay then but the incidence was still off. The dowel and dowel hole are exactly as shown on the plans, the hole center 9/16" from the bottom center of F-7B and the dowel center 3/8" from the flat of the wing bottom. The hole is drilled correctly. I trimmed the rest of the saddle to raise the trailing edge until I got zero. It's correct now and the fillets are done so I've moved on from there. No doubt there is something somewhere I did that didn't work out right since many of these kits have been built without this problem. Most likely in the wing fixture as it doesn't seem likely that the fuse could be wrong since these pieces interlock.

Speaking of getting the wing fixture right, one of my complaints of this kit is that the first thing you do is pin the bottom center sheeting to the plans. This covers up the plan showing the structure so you are building the structure blind except for the instruction manual. I didn't have a second set of plans at the time so this made me a little uncomfortable. Usually the wing structure is built and then sheeted.

Thanks very much for your input on this and everything else you've done for us on this thread.

Bill Hogue
WACO Brotherhood #21
Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: mobyal

1530 military time; big hand on the 3, little hand on the 6 Air Force time
that's too high tech for most of us who just rattled around in back. If the sun was up, we flew, if it was dark outside, time to go to the club for drinks.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Nightstalker

Noooo... if it's dark outside (big paw on the 6 and little paw between the 2 and 3) it's time for some Doggie Special Ops Hookers to go buzz the Master Chief's farm [8D]... Besides, who drinks when it's dark outside...? Well, it's 2:30 AM somewhere... GULP, GULP, GULP... I hate it when that happens. Good one LT!

Back to my Dog House for another cold one... err... sanding session...

Doggie 47

Todd
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Stickbuilder

Okay, I got the top or the after end of the fuselage roughed-in tonight. Still needs sanding, and the tailpost extension. The purpose of this post is to show how the articulated Horizontal Stabilizer works. In the first picture, the H-stab is at 4 degrees negative incidence. In the second picture, the H-stab is at 4+ degrees positive incidence. The third picture shows the H-stab at 2 degrees positive incidence (where it will be for the preliminary flights. The fourth photo shows the hinge assembly. If you will notice, in each of the pictures, the bellcrank is at a different position, showing the movement that the servo will cause. Neat, Huh? There is no drag, no lost motion or any other reason not to do this.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29763.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	637470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54818.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	637471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70415.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	637472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35782.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	637473  
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Nice work Bill, you-da -man.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
damifino

Sweeeeet.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:11 PM
khodges

Just like he knew what the hell he was doing Beautiful work, Master Chief.

Question: what is the total travel available on the H-stab via the linkage you have set up? Will you use the servo trim adjuster to move the stab?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Stickbuilder

The total travel for the H-stab is 8 degrees. I am going to use the flap channel for the control. I will be using a digital servo (it holds better) and will set the end points so that I won't stall the servo. I will use either a rotary knob or the prop pitch adjustment on the transmitter to control the incidence. I could set the thing up to work with the throttle, but I'm not sure that I want to give up manual control of the H-stab (at least early on). This setup must utilize a tail bracing wire set to ensure that there is no movement allowed (laterally) in the tail. It is plenty strong, there is just more room for error. I'm not sure I would reccomend someone doing this that does not have a lot of experience in building. There are just too many opportunties for screwing up. Time will tell.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Tonight I will be roughing-in the top fillets for the vertical stab. I need to remember to make the V-stab taller since it no longer sits atop the H-stab. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.