Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 78 of 714 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178578 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 17848

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

John, you are a treasure trove of original detail. Those 'pit pics are beautiful. I assume you can't "drive" from the front of a UBF, at least that one. For comparison, here's a couple of cockpits from the new Classic and Super YMF's. First pic is a front cockpit, the others are both rear. Note the edge of the cockpit in the first rear shot, how worn the padding is; I assume from climbing in and out. That one is the mate to the front pit shot. On the second rear shot, note the dual altimeters and accelerometer(bottom right) I figure this guy does some aerobatics. The settings on the altimeters indicate one is set to field altitude and the other is set to MSL. The accelerometer shows limits of plus 5, minus 3, g limits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72278.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	662355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78625.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	662356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ek15175.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	662357  
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stickbuilder:

I wish to join the brotherhood.

I currently don't have a functional Waco, but I do own an old 1/6 scale version in the box that I just don't have the heart to build. It is a piece of history, so I'm going to pursue the plans from the AMA, hopefully they'll have templates soon. I'll build that one.

-Bipes
    N Central Regional Director
    Classic Pattern Association

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

The aerobatic ability was one of the over 300 improvements incorporated into the Super. Did you notice the Aresti aerobatic cheat sheet taped to the left side? I don't know what the improvements are, but the fuselage was lengthened 6" (2" in front cockpit, 4" in rear) overall, widened by 3", total airframe strengthened for aerobatics to, as you said +5/-3 g's and both the Classic and Super were given upgraded avionic packages. Allegedly, the first 39 from WACO Classic Aircraft were the Classic model that were pretty much the same as a 1930's YMF. Some of the new planes even have fuel injected Jacobs engines (injectors placed in the intake tubes just before the cylinder) that are smoother running and all cylinders are tuned to give full power. If you need a blank WACO Id plate, here's one.

Name:	Wu59409.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	662380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27316.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	662381  
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
    #2 Hughes500E
    #3 Jim Henley
    #4 mmattockx
    #5 CTflyboy
    #6 michaelj2k
    #7 Ronj10
    #8 gwulle
    #9 jim schroer
    #10 Skinny Bob
    #11 Bart5495
    #12 Pimmnz
    #13 HarryJ
    No. 14 Old Git
    #15 ChrisMH
    #16 Nerevar
    #17 Ricatic
    #18 Clay H.
    #19 Tripp2Loo
    #20 KHodges
    #21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
    #22 Mangolo (Waldo)
    #23 av8ter
    #24 yel914
    #25 damifino
    #26 skylarkmk1
    #27 Jacque
    #28 Edwin
    #29 AROPLANE
    #30 CubNut (Anthony)
    #31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
    #32 AERORON
    #33 funkymusic
    #34 RCOutlaw
    #35 obo (Bob)
    #36 Jackk36 (Jack)
    #37 fatherrooster (Jim)
    #38 Ilikebipes

#47 Todd (NightStalker)

#66 Mobyal

We have two new Brothers. Meet fatherrooster (Jim) let's all make Brother #37 feel welcome. also, we have brother #37. Lets extend a warm welcome to Ilikebipes. I hope that you guys have fun with it.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

Stick- What are you going to use for rudder control, as shown on the plans or pull-pull?

Jay,

I use pull-pull for the tail surfaces (rudder and elevotor) Most of the time, I utilize a bellcrank driven by a short pushrod. This way, there is less need for constant adjustment, and if you need to remove a servo for service, it is easier to do. Plus it takes up less room in the servo bay. Give me a call, and I'll walk you through it.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skylark,

Keep them pictures coming. Do you have the ability to get a good front shot of a Jacobs 7 Cyl radial? I guess I'm gonna have to make mine.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Master Chief, John's will probably be better than these, but maybe they'll help some. I also included schematic drawings of the Robart 1/5 scale Jacobs engine. That might also be helpful

John, I'll have that I.D plate done up and placed on the plane; doesn't it go under the left H-stab below the trim assembly?

I'm also gonna make a big one and frame it. You must have gone to that link I posted a ways back; it had all that data about upsizing the Super, and the g limits, etc. It also explained at what point the aerodynamic counterbalance was added to the rudder (Supers have it, Classics don't). It makes a good "flashcard" reference to tell them apart.

Name:	Ro41629.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	662731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26482.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	662732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch95379.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	662733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn32439.jpg 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	662734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65694.jpg 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	662735  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23710.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	662736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pv52932.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	662737  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Maybe this Sunday. I have a sail boat race three miles from the Airport and I have to pick up the Race Officials Trailer from the boatyard next to the Airport, so I will stop in and see if they have a Jacobs engine and try to get some close ups of a single cylinder, the crankcase and whatnot. The UBFs all have the Continental (picts 1 & 2, note the different intakes), the Jacobs is from the web (pict 3, forget what site) and I don't know what engine (it is a big one) is in the 4th picture of a Russian AN-2 (yes it is a Biplane). Have you tried Aerotechmodels http://www.aerotechmodels.com/index.htm , they have an 8" diameter 7 Cylinder (make not specified) resin cast engine for $60[:@], a little pricey though.

Name:	Yw67845.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	662756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78531.jpg 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	662757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78007.jpg 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	662758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm36023.jpg 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	662759  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

I am not sure where the ID plate goes, I will find out Sunday. If you are talking about WACO Classic Aircraft Corp., yes it is the same site. And we also went to the same engine site as well. I have conflicting info on when the change was made from Classic to Super, one source says after # 36, another says after #39. And here is the Super's rear instrument panel from the web site. Open cockpit jet anyone?

Name:	Nl29125.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	662770  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Larry,
    That would be great! I got your PM and will be respondingas soon as I get more information.
    Thanks again for the assist!
    Jim,
    WACO Brotherhood #3, AMA 816592, IMAA 41683,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,
    Thank you so much! with all the help everyone is offering I should be able to come up with a decent instrument pannel.
    Thanks again to all!
    Jim,
    WACO Brotherhood #3, AMA 816592, IMAA 41683,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's interesting how the detailing changes over the years. When every one goes to the latest FAA regulations for the aircraft not with the original. Looking at the instruments how they have changed from the 1937 YMF3. Just thinking out loud
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Ken,

I am not sure where the ID plate goes, I will find out Sunday. If you are talking about WACO Classic Aircraft Corp., yes it is the same site. And we also went to the same engine site as well. I have conflicting info on when the change was made from Classic to Super, one source says after # 36, another says after #39. And here is the Super's rear instrument panel from the web site. Open cockpit jet anyone?
    The site I referred to is an AOPA magazine article from 2002. It talks about the new WACO and in part how they are equipped; it seems that your wallet is the only limiting factor in what you can get as far as avionics. this article gives SN#40 as the first Super. The increase in length and diameter gives 4 more inches in the rear cockpit and 2 more in the front; the door to the front 'pit is also larger on the Super than the Classic, and the Super has a higher max gross takeoff weight (2950 lbs vs. 2770 lbs.)

The writer of the article describes his first pilotage of a YMF, #100. Makes you feel like you're in there with him. Some more interesting stats: Takeoff distance 600 feet, over a 50 ft obstacle is 1550 ft; rate of climb (sea level) 800ft/min; Vr 55KIAS, stall 50KIAS, Vne 182KIAS. The airframe is stressed for positive 5.8 and negative 2.3 g's

Look under the H stab, between it and the bottom of the tail brace in the picture below. Isn't that small square the I.D plate?
    Thanks for the clear pics, Ken

Name:	Ay74122.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	662988  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To ALL
    the WACO on ebay just went for $ 332.50.
    they are definitely getting up there[&o]

GEORGE
    WACO Brotherhood # 5
    Remember, Man\'\'s 2nd greatest adventure is FLYING, LANDING is his FIRST.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

Not sure from the picture, but could be the location for the ID plate. I am thinking it may be located inside the fuselage were it would not interfere with the covering/recovering process.

Check out WACO Classic Aircraft Corp. http://www.wacoclassic.com/intro.html go to the sales page and the paragraph next to the cockpit shot has the statement "Thirty-six WACO YMF Classics were born." and you can see the confusion between it and the AOPA article. That and I think the AOPA author actually flew in #97 because #100 was not available due to upgrades.

Bill, check the WACO Classic Aircraft links page for Radial Engines Ltd. http://www.radialengines.com/ and you will find out about the fuel injection for the Jacobs engines. More pictures of various engines and close ups. I will try to get the same sort of close ups if I can find a Jacobs engine that's accessible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Been doing some more diggin' in the files and found a Jacobs L-4/R755-7 in a WACO AVN-8 (Cabin Tricycle Gear) N 19378 at Creve Coeur Airport Museum. The side photo is 2 pictures stitched together, not enough room to get it all in one shot. From the Airliners web site, the orange plane NC 16512 is a YKS-6 with a bit of a problem with the prop mounted on a Jacobs L-4/R755-7. The take off was aborted. (ouch[:@]). The front shot of the white cowl w/red bumps, engine unknown. The last photo is of YMF NC 30056, according to the FAA registry is; ...Engine Manufacture - AMA/EXPR Engine Model - UNKNOWN. ... Note the smooth cowl (no bumps and extra cooling).

Whoops, the picture with the "For Sale" sign is the AVN-8 engine.

Name:	Ay75717.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	663106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq45768.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	663107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94541.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	663108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96866.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	663109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz77595.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	663110  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us55216.jpg 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	663111  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I can get some good pics of the Jacobs 225, I think that I can make one to be used for a plug to make a mold. Lordy, what a ton of work! Last evening, I laid up the fiberglass access hatches for the forward fuselage (both sides) They should work nicely, with the magnet latches to hold them in place when closed. I'll do some more pics this weekend.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sorry, but a nose wheel just looks WAAAAY out of place on a WACO. Looks like the illigitimate child of a YMF and a 182 Cessna

Wouldn't that AVN-8 and maybe the WRE be considered sesquiplanes? When you compare the bottom wing sizes to the top wings, there is a LOT of difference in both chord and span.

You think that YKS-6 over-rotated on takeoff and hit his tips? That looks EXPENSIVE, considering it's a variable pitch metal and the wood Senseniches are about 3 grand.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

To ALL

GEORGE
    WACO Brotherhood # 5

Gawd, you can almost buy the ARF for that Somebody slap me for saying that.

Have we artificially driven up the cost for these kits by talking about how wonderful they are? Maybe we should all smile under our collars and start saying what POS's they are, everyone that has one will start trying to dump them, and we'll rack up........right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

To ALL

GEORGE
    WACO Brotherhood # 5

Have we artificially driven up the cost for these kits by talking about how wonderful they are? Maybe we should all smile under our collars and start saying what POS's they are, everyone that has one will start trying to dump them, and we'll rack up........right.
    Just cut your own kits, and don't pay the inflated prices for the POS die-crunched junk. The kit that I cut this winter fits better than any of the originals that I have ever built. Try it, you'll like it.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

Maybe that is why the AVN-8 is up for sale (it just aint right). The military impressed 4 AVNs/1 ZVN during WWII but used more SREs (13) than any other variant. See Aerofiles http://aerofiles.com/_waco.html for a more detailed listing.

The (X)VN series (AVN, ZVN), (X)RE series (ARE, SRE, WRE) and others with a short lower wing and much larger upper wing (incomparision) all fall into that catagory although I am not sure what the ratio of upper to lower is. Sesqui = 1-1/2 as in sesquicentenial = 150 years.

According to the caption accompaning the picture in Airliners http://www.airliners.net/ that is what happened.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just cut your own kits, and don't pay the inflated prices for the POS die-crunched junk. The kit that I cut this winter fits better than any of the originals that I have ever built. Try it, you'll like it.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    khodges > SLAP 2xU!

BILL > cut me a kit BUT find me also a COWL & WHEELPANTS for less than 100$ shipped and U R da man!

Cheers to all Waco buffs,
    Vasek
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vasek

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    khodges > SLAP 2xU!

BILL > cut me a kit BUT find me also a COWL & WHEELPANTS for less than 100$ shipped and U R da man!

Cheers to all Waco buffs,
    Vasek
    Give Fiberglass Specialists a try. I think that you can get the cowl and pants for under a hun.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stickbuilder I call the AMA to ask if they got the temps yet & they said no.The fellow there said that a guy was sending him a set of temp, I took it that guy might have been you wasn't sure. Do you know the status on the temps or where I can get them? I seen that web page where the the temp where on. Be nice if I could just buy a set.

Bob Brotherhood #35

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: obo

Stickbuilder I call the AMA to ask if they got the temps yet & they said no.The fellow there said that a guy was sending him a set of temp, I took it that guy might have been you wasn't sure. Do you know the status on the temps or where I can get them? I seen that web page where the the temp where on. Be nice if I could just buy a set.

Bob Brotherhood #35
    The AMA has had the templates for about 6 weeks now. I don't know what the time frame is to get them ready. My printer promised my copies 2 weeks ago, and he has not come through either.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1