Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:32 PM
damifino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

FATHERROOSTER- You got it, 2 XXL.

A note to our more 'portly' Brothers- Double xtra large shirts will be approx. $1.00 more per shirt than S thru XL. Looks like our target of 72 shirts is in reach so I'll be able to nail down the prices soon.

To our international Brothers- I'll bend over backwards to make sure you get your shirts.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:43 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jay, you missed a good fly-in today. The weather was perfect, hardly any breeze at all until about 2pm, then just intermittent. I burned myself good. The flight line, as you may know, faces south, so sun was in our face all day. Lots of BIG 3-D and pattern stuff, must have been five or six 40% planes there. One guy had a nice Rafale turbine and flew it twice (I left before 2nd flight). In all, must have been 25 pilots and 50 or more planes.

AND NOT A SINGLE WACO AMONG THEM!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
skeeter_ca

Just wondering, Does anyone know what the diameter of a 1/6 scale YMF cowl is? I'm bashing a SS60 and love the look of the YMF cowl.

skeeter
Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damifino,
Yeah, I guess I can do that, if you can give me an indication of price I will see what I can do.
Evan, WB#12.
You realise that this will make me an exclusive club!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skeeter,

Check on the ARF Forum. Dick Pettit started a thread on the COX 1/6 th WACO. Someone there should be able to tell you the Diameter. All I have information for is the 1/5th version. Maybe someone else in here has that info for you as well. How bout it guys????

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Jim Henley

Bill,
How's the wife? Did she have her surgery? We'll be off the boards for a few days, gonna' take a little trip. We'll stop in and meet
RC Outlaw, along the way.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:50 AM
yel914

Skeeter, that 1/6 scale cowl is 7" diameter. Hope that helps
Old 04-22-2007, 08:08 AM
damifino

KHODGES- I missed YOU by about 45 minutes! Spoke with Ernie, he said two or three people have tried to buy that Skylane taildragger from him. I'd like to see it. We got to see the jet fly twice, WOW. A fellow crashed a Rearwin Speedster into a million and one pieces. He was flying down the runway when he stepped this way or that and tripped on one of the pilot station hay bales. He was p*ssed!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 AM
kestrel0222

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

Just wondering, Does anyone know what the diameter of a 1/6 scale YMF cowl is? I'm bashing a SS60 and love the look of the YMF cowl.

skeeter
I was also wondering about the size of the cowl. I contacted Craig Schmidt at Fiberglass Specialties. His response was 6 7/8" diameter(ID) by 5" long.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 AM
kestrel0222

Awesome tee shirt design!!! Put me down for a large.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 AM
khodges

ORIGINAL: damifino

KHODGES- I missed YOU by about 45 minutes! Spoke with Ernie, he said two or three people have tried to buy that Skylane taildragger from him. I'd like to see it. We got to see the jet fly twice, WOW. A fellow crashed a Rearwin Speedster into a million and one pieces. He was flying down the runway when he stepped this way or that and tripped on one of the pilot station hay bales. He was p*ssed!
Jay, sorry to hear that, I would have liked to meet you. I wanted to get home, I needed to mow the yard, and also wanted to get the rest of the WACO airframe in primer before dark. I was a "crispy critter" from looking up into the sun all day, I'm paying for it this morning, it's hard to put on a shirt. The guy with the Rearwin, we talked for a while in the morning, I don't know why he didn't fly it 'til the afternoon. He said that he had just got it and he hadn't flown it yet, so that must have been the maiden flight, as he hadn't flown it yet when I left. I don't understand why 1- he was standing in front of the bales while flying, or 2- why his spotter didn't guide him around them. Nobody else had any problems with them all day, although I didn't care for them for maybe the same reason he tripped on them. You couldn't see them while watching your plane, they were too low. They normally have either 5 or 6 flight stations there, with a concrete pad to stand at, but had decreased the # of stations to 4 for the fly-in, and marked them with the bales.

You missed a great "gaggle" flight. We had two SR Batteries Eindeckers, a BUSA 1/4 D-VII, and a BUSA 1/4 Pup up dogfighting and it was, as far as I'm concerned, the best show of the day. It was a rather expensive day for me; I had let my IMAA mambership lapse a couple of years ago, so I had to pay the membership fee ($25) plus the landing fee ($10) to get to fly, and only went up 4 times all day. That came out to $8.75 a flight not counting fuel. Oh, well, the price we pay to have fun. It was a great fly-in, nice people and a great field. You'll have to come to out Warbirds fly-in, 1st Saturday in June. Any size or era warbird, does not have to be in warpaint (any aircraft used as a trainer is allowed). Just no LT-40's or Telemasters with stars, etc.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:39 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Damifino...Put me down for a 2xl also.

Bill Hogue
WACO Brotherhood #21
Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
redcesar

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Bill and all the other Waco fans,

I hearth from skylarkmk1 that there is a WACO Brotherhood and that it is possible to join that Brotherhood. Oke i like that.

You have a great thread going here Bill with lots of info about the Waco.

I am busy with the Waco from Barth Modellbau from Germany. Today i have paint the fuse and the next week i do the rest. After that i must check the SG and make the flying wires.
I hope after 4 a 5 weeks be ready for the Maiden. I have also started a thread, but i think you have already notice that. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4987146/tm.htm

Oke Bill, all the best with the Waco Brotherhood.

Cesar.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500E
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 CubNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 RCOutlaw
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar

#47 Todd (NightStalker)

#55 vasek

#66 Mobyal

Gentlemen, we are honored to have redcesar become a Brother. He is currently building the Peter Barth YMF, and might I add that it is the most impressive model that I have ever seen. Cesar, you will be number 41, and again I feel honored to have you as a brother.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

[/quote]

Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Stickbuilder

Hi guys,

Jim, thanks for asking, but Janelle does not have surgery until Tuesday morning.

I just returned from Lakeland a few minutes ago, and The annual Sun and Fun festival is in progress. The ShellAero team was tearing it up in the AT-6 Texan's and if you have never seen them perform, you should take the opportunity to do so. The word, "Awesome" comes to mind, but is a little weak. We had the first Judges meeting with Bob Curry, and Frank Tiano, and talk about some nice people. I got to see the Curtiss P6E that Bob is building, as well as some of Frankie's projects. These guys make most of us look like rank amateurs. I hope that all of you get a chance to come to Lakeland FL the first week in May for the Top-Gun Invitational. I think that you will be impressed. Bob's Son was flying the T-34 that he will be competing with, and the young man is simply good. I met several members of the local R/C club (Bartow) and all were nice folks. We may even gain a couple of new brothers from the group.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

These guys make most of us look like rank amateurs.

I resemble that remark. I wasn't aware I was that rank; I took a shower.....last Thursday? What day did it rain last week?

redcesar---welcome to the Brotherhood. I'll be very interested to see some pictures of your plane. Is your model 1/3 scale? and what are the similarities to the Barth and Genesis WACO's?

I have one more coat of primer to go for the wings. I had some trouble with pinholing along the leading edge sheeting on both wings and on the elevator. I found that sanding the first coat, and applying a heavier second coat, gets rid of most all of the pinholes. Master Chief, what is your experience with these aggravations? I get a few pinholes on one plane, a lot on another, and paractically none on another, and I use the same technique on all of them. The fuse on the UMF came out without any, but the wings were pretty bad. How do you deal with them, both to prevent them and to eliminate the ones you do get?

I put the first color coat on the wheel pants. I think it's going to look pretty good. It's a pale yellow called buttercream, a Krylon color. It should contrast well with Deep Cherry Red. I also painted my flight prop, a Master Airscrew Classic 18-6. It's dull aluminum, and should look very close to a metal prop. I also have the wood prop I did a while back, it will be my static prop.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
damifino

RE-POSTING OF SHIRT INFO-

I will announce in this thread how to purchase these shirts in the coming month. I'll make it easy for you to obtain these 100% Cotton Hane's BEEFY-T shirts. This is an original design by myself and a close friend who is a professional graphic designer. This is a non-profit venture intended for the WACO Brotherhood to enjoy and for anyone else starved for neat Aeroplane themed sportswear. Hope you all like it! Stay tuned.

I want to make this thing as simple as possible for all involved. Pricing the job is happening as I write this. More quanity = Less cost, so I propose a one price deal for 2 shirts including postage so there is no hidden cost. Outside the U.S. may be different.

I am checking the thread daily for your requests. We have at least 44 requests so far. I'd like to think we'll have them ready before the end of May. Let your WACO Brothers know about this deal so we can keep it rollin'.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87963.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	670255  
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2007, 08:50 PM
skeeter_ca

Thanks guys, for those cowl dimensions. 6 7/8" to 7" sounds like the perfect size for the OS FX .91 even if i do have to shoehorn it in. I'll be ordering it from Fiberglass Specialties soon. Hope to start a build thread after i get started on it. Still have to work out the landing gear logistics. Looking at going with an aluminum gear with pants but the location is still iffy. Ahead of the wing or mounted under the wing.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 PM
skylarkmk1

Jay,

Should this T-shirt thing really get rolling and we go for another shirt next year, maybe we could change just the plane to a cabin model such as a SRE/ARE, HKS or YKC. Maybe a change of color also.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
damifino

We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Stickbuilder

Ken,

The pin-hole issue always crops up. I normally do the first two coats of 50-50 dope and then use a strong direct light to find them. This only works on open areas of the model. You indicated that you were having a problem with the sheeted area of the plane. I feel that this is due to the technique that you chose to use with the stix-it. If you dope the sheeted areas first, and then apply the Koverall to the model, the dope on the sheeting allows the weave to fill more completely, since the dope will back up into the weave from the bottom. You can still use the direct light method to find the voids and pin holes in the sheeted areas of the model, by holding the light at an acute angle to the surface. The pin holes will show up there as a rough area of the covering, and you just apply more dope to the area until the roughness disappears. It is not unusual for the pin-holes to not show up until the first coat of primer is applied. If you use a lacquer based primer, you can brush another coat of primer over the area, and sand it out with 400 grit wet. It's a pain in the tukkus, but the final outcome is worth the effort.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Damifino,
I will only be able to pay using a money order. I hope that is O.K.
I think it is good for the Brotherhood to know some facts about Paypal.
Many people avoid Paypal because they demand your personal account numbers and ss#. Their contract that you agree to (nobody reads it) allows them access to your accounts at their complete discretion. They also retain the right to use your personal information however they want. All that, and they have no phone number for complaints or fixing your account, only for starting an account. Period. E-mail only to settle complaints and disputes.
Unless they have recently changed, you will actually have to start a lawsuit to get access to a real live conversation with PayPal.
It is no wonder that the NY Attorney General Spitzer, as well as attorney generals of 6 other states including California have had or still have lawsuits pending against Paypal.
You can do a Google search of Paypal abuses and horror stories and the list is longer than those who hate George Bush (I don't hate George bush, it is just the point I am making). People actually start and pay for web sites just to vent thier frustrations and problems with Paypal. It is really rare for people to get that pissed and something to take note of.
You may never have a problem with Paypal, many don't. It is when you do have a problem that you are in a world of hurt trying to fix it. I hope a money order is o.k.
Ron
Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Damifino, I agree with ron. I cannot pay with paypal. I only use us postal money orders. If that is not ok please let me know

Jacque....brotherhood 27
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
kestrel0222

ORIGINAL: Jacque

Damifino, I agree with ron. I cannot pay with paypal. I only use us postal money orders. If that is not ok please let me know

Jacque....brotherhood 27
Same here, I have used PayPal in the past and have had problems with it. I hope Money Orders will not be a problem. Please, let me know if it is not O.K.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

I agree with everyone on this PayPal mess. I used them for years until I had two problems in a row, both major ones. After two years my court case is still pending. Stay away from PayPal by all means. I buy and sell using USPS Money Orders, never had a problem and the fee is less than PayPal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.