Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM
rc_wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice start Herb! I see you have good taste in transmitters!!!

Last edited by rc_wings; 03-20-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:10 PM
michaelnel

Hi Folks

Later today, UPS will be delivering a Great Planes WACO ARF to me. I have thought a lot of this through, but I am looking for ideas on how best to protect this large beast while transporting it 20-30 miles to the field in my Nissan Xterra SUV.

I guess you remove the fasteners from the framework that supports the two wings and remove them and transport them separately, correct?

I am thinking to wrap the wings in moving blankets, and doing the same with the fuselage, then perhaps putting some stuff in the corners of the truck for the wing to rest on, with the fuselage underneath.

That's the best I have come up with. This is going to be an awkward plane to transport, and I don't envision flying it as often as my other planes, but I would sure like to get it to and from the field without incurring hanger damage.

How do you experienced folks transport large biplanes?

Last edited by michaelnel; 03-20-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnel
Hi Folks

Later today, UPS will be delivering a Great Planes WACO ARF to me. I have thought a lot of this through, but I am looking for ideas on how best to protect this large beast while transporting it 20-30 miles to the field in my Nissan Xterra SUV.

The 72" wings detach from the fuselage as a unit, upper and lower wings stay together when you remove them, I think. Maybe not, maybe you separate them for transport, I think. Maybe not though, maybe the wings separate for transport.

I am thinking to wrap the wing assembly in a moving blanket, and doing the same with the fuselage, then perhaps putting some stuff in the corners of the truck for the wing to rest on, with the fuselage underneath.

That's the best I have come up with. This is going to be an awkward plane to transport, and I don't envision flying it as often as my other planes, but I would sure like to get it to and from the field without incurring hanger damage.

How do you experienced folks transport large biplanes?
michaelnel,
Sounds like your on the right track protect your Waco the best way you can moving blankets will do just fine. I have a full size van and I am able to carry mine in one piece makes it real easy to transport.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:03 PM
stevegauth30

Harbor freight has nice blankets for $10. You can even get fancy and sew them into wing bags. Or, I've seen guys get the fan fold insulation from the depot and use tape to make wing bags. As for the fuse, I usually find a way to put some straps over the landing gear or something like that so if you have to slam on the brakes the fuselage doesn't come slamming forward. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 PM
michaelnel

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Harbor freight has nice blankets for $10.
Thanks, I ordered some for a little more than that from Amazon.

You can even get fancy and sew them into wing bags.
Haha, not me! I can barely tie my own shoes.

As for the fuse, I usually find a way to put some straps over the landing gear or something like that so if you have to slam on the brakes the fuselage doesn't come slamming forward. Hope this helps a bit.
Several of the guys I fly with use old gym socks filled with gravel and then knotted. You just kinda flop them over where the LG meet the wheels, and it immobilizes the aircraft. Works really well, and is virtually free.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 PM
DIVERHERB

Bill a.k.a Stickbuilder as I have posted I picked up an old Pica WACO kit and am in the process of reading all of the posts before starting to build plus am finishing a Citabria Pro. got to the link "houseofmoy.com/Waco/ for the templates for the formers and it appears to no longer exist. By any chance are the former templates still available and if so where might I obtain them. By the way this has been one of the best threads I have been on, now on post # 1097. I have really enjoyed it.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM
mrdhud

Herb
You have a lot of good reading to go can't say I would take on this thread from the start. You can find what your looking for here.

http://mrdhud.wix.com/classicair
Old 03-21-2015, 04:29 PM
DIVERHERB

Thanks Marko, love my Futaba.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:35 PM
DIVERHERB

Thanks Dan that is what I was looking for. Appreciate it. There is so much fantastic information from you guys on this thread that I cant help but read it. There is a lot of things on the plane I picked up that I need to change so reading all of the thread will be a big help. Plus after finishing this one I really would like to do a second. Every time I have seen some ones WACO at an event I am jealous LOL. and always wanted to build one so here goes. Thanks again all for the immeasurable amount of information.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:37 PM
michaelnel

I got my Great Planes WACO ARF yesterday afternoon. Made great progress so far. Both wings are done, including installing the servos. Landing gear, horizontal stabilizers and elevators are on. The fuselage part of the cabane is on, carrying handle installed on the cabane. Rudder and tail wheel are installed and working. I expect to finish with the main part of the plane tomorrow, perhaps may get the engine mounted too (O.S. FS-120 pumper). Looking good, I am looking tired. ;-)

Last edited by michaelnel; 03-21-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:35 AM
mrdhud

Attention

I received a check in the mail today from R Demello I need your call name here on RCU. When sending me payments for tee shirts please make sure I have both your name address and call name.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM
michaelnel

Engine is mounted, fuel tank installed, fuel lines run, all control servos and control rods installed and adjusted and tested, windscreens and turtle deck installed, working on the cowl now.

It's true that the first 90% of the job takes the first 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the job takes the other 90% of the time. The detail work is pretty involved!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:01 PM
mrdhud

Originally Posted by michaelnel
Engine is mounted, fuel tank installed, fuel lines run, all control servos and control rods installed and adjusted and tested, windscreens and turtle deck installed, working on the cowl now.

It's true that the first 90% of the job takes the first 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the job takes the other 90% of the time. The detail work is pretty involved!
Sounds like your moving right along like to see some pictures. The O.S. FS-120 should be plenty power and sound good at the same time.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
michaelnel

Originally Posted by mrdhud
Sounds like your moving right along like to see some pictures. The O.S. FS-120 should be plenty power and sound good at the same time.
I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. Had to put the WACO on the back burner after getting the cowl fitted today (looks good, the OS FS-120 cylinder head just pokes out the side and the exhaust exits at a jaunty angle). The whole cowl fitting thing was a big PITA though, took us about two hours.

Trying to decide what to do about the glow plug now. Do folks go ahead and make the cutout in the cowl big enough to insert a glow plug igniter (I figure I could make it kind of teardrop shaped to accept the igniter and follow the art deco theme of the whole thing), or I could get one of those onboard glow systems. I am not sure I want to add the complexity of one of those to the airplane though.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 AM
stevegauth30

He about a remote glow setup? Nothing complex there, and you can put it virtually anywhere you like.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:20 AM
michaelnel

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
He about a remote glow setup? Nothing complex there, and you can put it virtually anywhere you like.
Perfect! Thanks for the suggestion. As you can tell, I'm new at this.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 AM
stevegauth30

A sure way to learn is to ask. Feel free.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:21 AM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

with a remote glow setup you could even mount it in the hatch,and install the on/off switch there as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM
froghair1

sorry about that , my brotherhood number is 127. I will try to do better next time
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan,
Not that I am in a hurry just curious as to when the shirts may be shipping?
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM
mrdhud

Attention

I have little over half of the brothers paid for there shirts so far as soon as all the money has been collected I will order the shirts. It will take two weeks for the shirts to be made and shipped to me. As soon as I get them I will mail them out.

I have PMed every one with my address to send payments to. I will post it here to Please if you ordered shirts send your money to me ASAP
Dan Hudson
1050 S Oak Ave
Bartow, FL

The shirts are priced as followed
Base price 17.01 each this covers sizes up to XL
Additional 2.00 charge for 2X
Additional 3.50 charge for 3X
Additional 4.50 charge for 4X
Plus 4.00 shipping.

If using PayPal please add 2.9% plus .30 cent.
[email protected]
Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM
michaelnel

Hi Folks

Someone asked for picture of the current state of the build on my GP WACO. Here it is as of today. This morning I did the final fitting and install of the cowl (if there isn't a picture of that in the dictionary next to "fiddly" there sure should be!). Working on the crappy brittle plastic fake radial now. Looks lousy, may just leave it out for better cooling.

I decided to scrap the fake radial thing. It looked awful and had to sit right up against the engine's fins in order to fit with the prop and all. Better without it. I am building a flyer here, not a museum piece.

All that's left now is the final wiring stuff (mounting the receiver & battery, connecting up all the servos, tidying stuff up, check control throws and CG). I think it's pretty nice looking!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150326_145425-X2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	2084323  
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Your plane looks good,
You can always pick up a fiberglass dummy radial. I have one in my 1/3 Waco and they are much stronger. They can also help with cooling. The air is going to take the path of less resistance. If you have a dummy radial in the cowl and only cut out between the cylinders in front of your engine cylinder then the air will be forced over your engine improving the cooling. I also have a baffle installed so the air cannot bypass the jugs on my twin gasser.
Later!!
Anthony

ps. Dan, If all the orders do not come thru and you need more $$ to cover the cost on the shirts let me know.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:15 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

michaelnel,
Its looks OK for an arf,
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM
michaelnel

Originally Posted by ctflyboy
michaelnel,
Its looks OK for an arf,
Gee, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.