Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Comet "Struct-O-Speed" Models

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Comet "Struct-O-Speed" Models

Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 AM
injunnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comet "Struct-O-Speed" Models

Surely many of you guys built the Comet "Struct-O-Speed" models in your earlier years? I would like to hear of your experiences with these models. As a kid I really enjoyed building these models ..... I even got one of the bigger "Dollar" models (series M-2 'Piper Cub Cruiser') to fly fairly nice! Thanks Much, Donald Garry
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Comet

I know this is a very old thread but way back in 1951 I bought my first engine (Wasp .049) from a class-mate.

One day he brought an all-balsa Comet Struct-O-Speed Piper Cub to shool that had about a 36" wingspan. It was a very nice looking model and I wanted to build one but never saw one for sale in any hobby shop.

All of the other Struct-O-Speed models I saw were much smaller.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes for me I think it was about 54 or 55 and the local store front hardware store! Had a large selection of the Comet line. I sure bought a lot of 'hardware' for a ten year old

More importantly he, FredLund Hardware had a magazine rack and that got me going mail order on the Scientific Hollow logs with an old Spitzy and well just never stopped

John
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Dan Vincent

This brings back many memories. Before I knew model airplane engines existed I used to build solid and stick model airplanes. I used to pile on the dope and try to make my solid models very smooth.

After I discovered engines I was still applying a heavy finish on the log models and had to dial it back to get them in the air.

Before the Cox line of engines hit the scene there were many makers of 1/2A engines. We had to build light to fly them.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Still have that first Spitzy:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54796.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1849903  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 AM
jaymen

Yes, a very old tread here, but it re-kindles old memories. The Comet Stuct-O-Speed model kit boxes were easily identifiable by the red end of the box; you see the stcik and tissue Comet kits had a blue end. I think I built a small lightplane, possibly the Aeronca. it was rubber powered. I bought a tube of the Army green Testors "extra fast drying" cement too, which did not work so well as I thought on this all sheet balsa kit. The print wood graphics were red as I recall, and these kits were some of the only Comet Kits that were die-crushed. Mine had some issues with the thrust bearing fitting into the nose block, and did not fly very well either, but then again, I was about 10 years old. I wish they had these kits today, as they were great starters for kids. The Jasco kits were even better, and flew great, have not seen them in years either.