Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sig Acro Star Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 07:41 AM
zoomzoooie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Acro Star Biplane

I just got an old biplane that was put to gether with epoxy and had 4 layers of paint under taddered fabric covering. It looked REALLY BAD!. I finally got it all cleaned up and stripped down. I have a little bit of repair to do on it but it's starting to look good now! The only thing is I don't know what it is. It has a span of 51 1/2 " and is 47" long the way I have the engine set up. the top wing is straight with no dihedral and the bottom wing is straight with some dihedral. I found a pic on ebay of what it resembles and they are calling it a Sigtronics Astro or Acro Star biplane. If anyone has good pics of this plane I would like to see them. Sorry I can't post pics of mine. I have no camera. If the pic from ebay works on this site you can see what the Acro Star looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41305_21946.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	25924  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:32 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ZZ:

I had an AcroStar. An excellent kit, fantastic parts cutting with no laser burns. Sold it about a year ago, it was marketed by Airtronics. Yes, the radio company. Looked just like your picture.

Had to sell - without two engines, well...........

Bill.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:37 PM
zoomzoooie

WR

Would know the date that this kit was out?
Was it nice flying plane. Any bad characteristics?
Some helpful info to help ID the plane. >The fuselage sides are 1/8 ply and the rest is balsa sheet and block. The V stab is rounded and the H stab is more straight line and the elevator is rounded. Very reminiscent of Airtonics (Sigtronics).
The Airfoil is symmetrical.

It looks like it should be a very nice flier. I put an HB .61 in it.
I thought it might fly with a OS. 46 LA but might be under powered so going by the engine mount that was in it (which was a 60), I put my HB 61 in it. I'm looking at getting an OS .61 FX if I can't get the HB to be reliable. (You know, Perry carb with no security set on the needle valve).

ZZ
Old 12-16-2002, 08:28 PM
William Robison

ZZ:

It was late '70s or early '80s, I think. The airplane was a semi-scale model of Poberezny's EAA Bipe. Or the plan said it could be built as such.

The kit plan was reprint of one published in one of the magazines, and included a copy of the magazine article as its instructions. One of the odd things I remember was the article suggesting the use of coat hangers to make the struts.

Just went through my MAN plans catalog, didn't find it. Might have been from Flying Models.

It flew well with a K&B 61 engine, don't think you'd like it with a 40-46 engine.

I've never had a problem with the needle setting on a Perry carb, the HB 61 should be fine.

And it was (still is) a nice flyer, but a little on the heavy side.

Two wings or one, twin engines are fun.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:15 AM
zoomzoooie

WR

Thanks for the added info. I think what I've got sounds like what you are describing. On mine the cabane struts where made of wire. I thought it might have been older though. I thought maybe late 60's early 70's. Should have it in the air in a few weeks or so. I'll let you know how it goes.

ZZ
Old 12-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acrostar

Your airplane is either from the Airtronics kit or RCM plans which are still available. I flew one of these years ago with an OS .40 mounted. Performance was very nice and relaxed with that power. A friend in the club built one and installed an HB .61 which turned the airplane into a very hot performer. With either engine the airplane is very easy to fly.

Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 04:54 PM
William Robison

ZZ:

Mike is right, and you are too.

Went to the RCM web site, it's plan #525, publication date was 4-73. Sells for $16 including postage. Or $17 rolled in a tube, both including the magazine article.

But I was right too, I got it in the late '70s or early '80s.

You like 'em where the twins are the wings, I prefer the engines as the doubled things.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acrostar

Here's an idea of performance compared to engine size:

.40..........Bang
.50..........Boom
.60..........Bomb
.70 and up.............. Oh the humanity!

Hey, if it ain't got two wings, it ain't $***! <G>

Have a ball with it.

Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 11:35 PM
William Robison

Default Re: Acrostar

Mike:
Originally posted by Mike Denest
Here's an idea of performance compared to engine size:

.40..........Bang (1)
.50..........Boom (2)
.60..........Bomb (3)
.70 and up.............. Oh the humanity! (4)

Please read the foot notes.

(1) Not enough power for flight, this is the noise it makes when it hits your parked car.

(2) It will just get off the ground. This is the slightly muffled noise it makes hitting the ground after a tip stall in the departure turn.

(3) Enough power to make you overconfident, then you lose it and do a vertical attack on the pit area.

(4) With this much power you are always slightly nervous flying. Even though you do every sort of aerobatics you can, the nervousness makes you careful. The airplane lasts for years and many enjoyable flights.

So you see, Mike, overpowered often isn't.

ANy number of engines is fine, until the plane takes that last verical line.

Bill.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:09 AM
zoomzoooie

Thanks for all the info guys!

I can't wait wait to get this thing in the air.
Alas... I will be out of town after the holdidays for a while.

hmmm... I do have a Supertigre .75
mmmwwwwwhhhaaaahhaaaa!

Only joking!

Your right, 2 wings are better then one.
I never flew twin engine yet.

I do have a Pic-a-Pac DH Mosquito though, needs to be finished. It's a kit from England.

ZZ
Old 12-18-2002, 03:36 AM
William Robison

ZZ

You could bash the Acro-Star into a deHavilland Dragon for your first twin. Both taildragger bipes. But the Dragon makes the devil's grandmother look like a beauty.

Northeast Aerodynamics has a very nice easy building starter twin, the Twin-Air 45, $154.95 delivered to your door.

John (John Marien, owner of N-E Aero) is designing a .15 powered twin that would be a very inexpensive intro to twins.

Check them out:

www.ne-aero.com

Nothing like it. You'll throw rocks at singles.

Speak true, I still fly singles as much as twins, but I don't admit it in mixed company. Haw!

Put a twin in your pocket, it's a thrill like a rocket.

Bill.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:56 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCM used to have a conversion plan to make this a HAWKER FURY.Best watch that Bill ,he`ll put two engines on your field box!! HAHA big max 1935
Old 12-27-2002, 02:01 PM
William Robison

ZZ and Max:

Found it. RCM, June 1977. Page131. Top right corner.

Standard Hobby Supply ad, Airtronics Acro Star - $61.99.

Plus $2.80 postage and handling.

Sounds cheap, by current standards, but in the same ad a Bridi Super Kaos is $37.50, and for $61.50 you get an OS .60 FI r/c engine.

It would be very nice to have "Now" money and "Then" prices.

Buy it now or buy it then, the only choice is still a twin.

Bill.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:30 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill & ZZ: Plan#525,Acro Star,April,1973 & plan #569,Acro Fury,August,1974. Both are still listed in RCM plans catalog. May give you some ideas,ZZ. big max 1935 The best twin is two on each side,either women or engines!
Old 12-31-2002, 12:42 AM
Joe Nagy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default More needed[?] Acro Star info

Hi Zz;

Seasons Greetings to you from the almost warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

All of the Preceding info is rite on, [good work Guys]. RCM also published a similar bipe design called the Wayfarer in their 2/72 issue, plan # 482, and it was kitted by Svenson. The Wayfarer, was designed by RCM Founder/Publisher, the late Don Dewey, had a simpler structure...like: rubber banded wing hold downs, no wheel pants, however for all intents and purposes the two designs are virtulally identical. The later Acro Star design published by RCM in 4/73 by the late Lee Renaud, owner of Airtronics, and Don Dewey. Both are beautiful Bipes...the Wayfarer kinda 'Crude', and the Acro Star kinda 'Lewd'. What can I say.

As an aside, at the '73 Toledo, I gasped in utter dismay/amazement at the Airtronics Booth, wherein the Acro Star kit was presented at the then 'outrageous' price of $69.95. Little did I know then it was but a portend of things and prices to come.

I know with my info presented herein, you probably know MORE about the Acro Star than you ever wanted to, but I contributed anyway. Btw, I have a complete but very beat up kitbox of the Svenseon Wayfarer.

Should you like copies of the RCM Wayfarer/Acro Star articles let me know.

In closing, the best and happiest '03 for all of us, and best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy. email: [email protected]
Old 06-25-2010, 03:01 PM
DarkWingDuck

Default RE: More needed[?] Acro Star info

Does anyone have a construction manual for the Airtronics Acro Star?

Thx

DWG
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM
EKS

Default RE: Sig Acro Star Biplane

http://www.aerosphereonline.com/mm5/...ory_Code=Large

This link will get you construction manual and plans for the original ACROSTAR by Airtronics.