Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need some info on an OOP Sailplane kit

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need some info on an OOP Sailplane kit

Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some info on an OOP Sailplane kit

I need to find out if anyone has knowledge of a kit called the 2-S from House of Balsa.

I have emailed House of Balsa and they are checking for me. I need plans and building instructions if they are still available. The good news is that House of Balsa is still around but I have no idea how long the kit has been out of prodution.

I understand the 2-S came in more than one wingspan. Mine is the 96" version.

Does anyone here have any experience with this model? Does anyone have plans or even a build guide?

I have looked rather extensively on the web with virtually no info on this model. I know H.O.B. makes great quality kits. And I hope they can help somehow...If not I will have to try my best to shake the bushes and see if anything worthwhile falls out.

Here is a pic of the box.

Robert

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34122.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	469615  
Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
oscar2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some info on an OOP Sailplane kit

probaly the late 70's or early 80's.
they had the 2 x 4,2x6 the 2t the 2s and a few i do not remember.I still fly my 2t that is over 20 years old.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:42 PM
build light

Thank you for your reply. I had not thought of the 2T. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always) The 2T was a Ttailed sailplane. If am correct in my thinking at this moment This could be a sister ship ( more probably a couisin) to the 2S. I know that the S in 2S stands for "Standard " the 2 is for "2 channel" R/E . So I am thinking that the T in the 2T stands for "Ttail" !

If I am correct, your plane and mine would have virtually the same build the exception being the position of the tail.

What wingspan is yours? Do you still have the plans and build instructions? If I am not able to come up with the plans for this plane I will simply have to use the wood to create something else. Most likely a sailplane but how much resemblance to the 2S or 2T I could not gaurantee.

I wonder too if I placed this in the proper forum. Since it is long out of production I guessd here despite the fact the company is still in buisness.

Robert
Old 06-02-2006, 01:12 PM
oscar2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are correct the 2t is a t tail but it is a 2 meter 2 channel plane.the 2 x4 was a 4 ft 2 channel design the 2 by 6 was a 6ft 2 channel design.the 2s sounds the a 2 channel standard class design.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:34 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert....

Some of the replies confuse me. They tend to get off topic some.

But you need to contact Don Dumbrowski at H.O.B. He has some older kits squireled away. They are not in the place they should be, but where they were last looked at. And then set down.

Doubtfull he has any spare plans. For back when, they were done via Offset Printing, and now minimum order is about 1000 sheets. If lucky, Don can scan and Xerox off a plan from old one inside a kit. A good four years ago, he began converting from crunch kits to laser cut ones. He also prints his own plans off a H-P plotter, and runs labels from a scan and Quark.

Wm.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:38 PM
build light

I knew it could be too good to be true... my heart was in the right vein, My mind however ( See post 3 about my memory and how it serves me...Gee I hope i never get old, what would they do with me?) was thinking of the difference between "standard" and "T" tails. not the sailplane competition classes. of course 96" is the span for "standard class" sailplanes. My error thanks for setting me straight on that note.
I have ever competed in any class events powered or otherwise so my mind doesn't think competitivly (and darn good reason I shouldn't)

So... back to the search...

Robert
Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

I had one. Great model.
The whole family, the 2s, 2t, 2x4, 2x6m whatever, all used the same wing, just at different lenghts. If I recall correctly, the 96" versions just used a streched center section, but don't quote me on that. I still have some of those wings around.

The 2s had a different fuse from the others, it was more of a pod and boom thing, the others were conventional fuselage. 2t was a t-tail version of the regular 2x6...it had a conventional fuse, different from the pod and boom of the 2s.
At any rate, I loved them all, wonderful flyers, fast builders...did electric conversions on some of them.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

My own 2s was in the 2m version. You really should have NO problem building this without the plans....
Old 06-03-2006, 03:54 PM
build light

Wm, indeed I have contacted Don regarding this matter. The reply was short and direct. He would dig around and see... So real good news is... Don's on it!

ET, this looks to be a real sweetheart of a plane. it sorta kinda is a podNboom but without the pod or the boom.
Not trying to sound stupid or appear as an idiot. I am including a scan of the label on the box. The larger image looks as though it is a pod N boom but if you look closely it isn't really. In the inset image where it is broken down for transport you can more easily see that there is no boom and the actual depth of the fuse extending out to the tail. As most sailplanes are slender in this area the 2S really is super slender! Almost boom like, actually more like a beam.

Could you enlighten me as to the rib spacing? do the ribs have capstrips? how about center sheeting? I am sure I can build it. but it will be a bigger challenge if I take it on without plans.

in the meantime the guy who sold it to me is also trying to dig up a planset for me. He does nort have them but has told me that someone emailed him and said he did have them. If he can dig up this guy I have another chance. Plus I am still trying to get hold of another guy I know that collects plans. This plane does not exactly fit into his genre of plans but when bying box lots one can wind up with who knows what. And he has bought many a box lot!

One more thing about the kit. the hardware and canopy are still factory wrapped and sealed! the wood is straight, clean and light. As it should be. The diecutting is clean too. The obvious things I know where they go, the rest I wish I knew.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24096.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	471110