Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

My Berkeley Stinson Reliant

Old 05-08-2006, 12:44 AM
E-Challenged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My Berkeley Stinson Reliant

I found the old 42" w/s Berkeley/Duke Fox kit on Ebay. Did an electric R/C conversion build thread on E-Zone, got bogged down in other electric R/C and glow projects. I modified the curved windshield and cabin from the "modern" curved SR-9 to flat panel SR-7 windshield and cabin structure. Power is a $19.00 Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT brushless outrunner, with GWS direct drive 9x5 prop and 1100mah 3-cell lipo. ROG's and climbs nicely, cruises in fast scale like manner for about 8 minutes, will loop nicely. Gear legs designed by me to break away on rough landings. Will not turn on ailerons and elevator only, will turn wellon rudder and elevator and turns better on aileron/rudder mix plus elevator. This is my lifetime fave airplane. I'm using the Spektrum DX6 R/C system to help protect this one.
I just enjoy looking at it. I have the .40 size Sterling SR-8 kit , may convert it to electric too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27751.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	457829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28526.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	457830  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
oscar2005

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My Berkeley Stinson Reliant

nice job,i have a question on the motor prop setup.any idea of the rpm it is turning?I am looking for a direct drive electric motor[brushless] that will turn a 9 x 5 prop at 10,000 rpm.thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
E-Challenged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have a tach that works, but I'll bet I'm turning around 7000 rpm. An AXI 2212/26 might turn a 9x5 direct drive prop at around 10000 rpm on a 2000mah 3S lipo. I have an AXI 2212/20 intended for speed that turns smaller props at very high rpms but pulls a lot of amps doing it.

There's a guy on E-Zone, Power Systems forum ( Kiwi) that does a lot of testing and can probably advise you best.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:47 PM
EFLAPPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great looking Stinson Reliant. This is my favorite plane also, I would love to own the real thing but so far am unable to find one for the right price.
I have to Sterling 67in kits, one is almost built complete and the other is still in the box. I purchased the one in the box first and then found the other hanging from the ceiling at my favorite Hobby shop, it needs some repairs from hard landings but otherwise it is very sound. I plan to electrify it and we can keep each other posted on our work.
I want the Berkeley kit you have also, 42inches is a great size for me. I have an open field behind my new Home and several models of this size to fly here. Your choice of an engine sounds good.
Looking forward to more conversation.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EFLAPPER

Great looking Stinson Reliant. This is my favorite plane also, I would love to own the real thing but so far am unable to find one for the right price.
I have to Sterling 67in kits, one is almost built complete and the other is still in the box. I purchased the one in the box first and then found the other hanging from the ceiling at my favorite Hobby shop, it needs some repairs from hard landings but otherwise it is very sound. I plan to electrify it and we can keep each other posted on our work.
I want the Berkeley kit you have also, 42inches is a great size for me. I have an open field behind my new Home and several models of this size to fly here. Your choice of an engine sounds good.
Looking forward to more conversation.
Engine?

Bill, AMA 4720