Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

world engines inc.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 07:44 PM
chevyman-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default world engines inc.?

i was going thru my dads old stuff and i found the wing and plans to a world engines inc. hawk 460 kit. i was wondering if the company is still in buisness or not and if i can get ahold of a fuselage. the fuse is supposed to be foam and the bottom is ply.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:22 AM
kdheath

WE was in Cinncinati and AFAIK is out of business. They were the OS & ST importer for a number of years and put out a few kits like the Hawk and the Robin series and a larger engine called the Maloney. Oh, yes, the founder of WE was John Maloney. Dave Brown worked there for a time.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:39 PM
skyz

Ah yes, World Engines.
What a nice group of guys in the 70's.
John Maloney
Dave Brown
Mark Radcliff
Tony Frackowiak
Gene Steincamp
Jim Lanterman
Old 01-26-2003, 11:43 PM
skyz

Default World Engines Inc.

So does anyone know if Mark Radcliff is
still in the hobby/flying?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:07 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default World Engines Expert Radio...

Yes, my first radio was a World Engines Expert. 1977. It spent more being shipped to Cincinatti for check out than it did flying, mainly because it crashed so many airplanes! I remember finally writing a personal letter to John Maloney, and God bless him, he replaced the radio with a new one. W.E. was a great company that understood customer service, way back before the Borg (that is, Great Planes) began assimilating every small hobby industry company in the USA.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:23 AM
dasflugmodele

World Engines
Yes the y were great to do business with. No longer around as glowplugboy says the BORG got'em as they did a bunch of others. Now we are left with a bunch of folks that are interested in their own ideals and not those of the modeler.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:54 AM
Ben Lanterman

I have one of the Hawk 460s that I still fly now and then. I put a builtup wing and tail left over from another accident on the fuselage. The fuse was a formed foam molded thing and the lower fuse a was a 1/8 or so plywood slab. This gave a lot of strength to the whole thing. I covered mine in thin cloth and epoxy and it could be used for a golf club so is a little overweight and imprevious to hangar rash.

Anything that will hold the wing and stab in the right position, basically 0-0 will work fine. The airplane does turn out heavier than a modern model of the same size would. The foam wings themselves also tend to turn out heavy, my opinion, about twice what they should with built up construction.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:32 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey dude, I have a NIB 460 Hawk.. ya interested?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 PM
bgchip
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: world engines inc.?

Does anyone know where I can get an old World Engines Expert Tx? I need one for parts. A bracket on one of the pots broke and I need to replace. I have two Hawk kits, never built. One has a fiberglass fuselage. Thank you
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Would anyone be interested in some world engines S-11 servos and some world micro servos. If interested let me know. I know nothing about world servos. I got these from an older gentleman who was getting rid of all his hobby radio's and equipment.

thanks bob
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Everybody talking about "I got these from and old guy"; my dad talked about them; jeez, that makes me feel old. I remember them first hand.:-))))

Les
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Frank Schwartz

Yes...I remember all those fellows who worked at WE that were listed above...one omission was a fellow named Scotty Fahnstock...whose grandfather invented the Fahnstock clip used on thos big 1 1/2 volt batteries and on early radio gear for years. Most of you young whippersnappers have no idea what a Fahnstock clip is.... a bit of history most people have forgotten...
Frank Schwartz
Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

one omission was a fellow named Scotty Fahnstock...whose grandfather invented the Fahnstock clip used on thos big 1 1/2 volt batteries and on early radio gear for years. Most of you young whippersnappers have no idea what a Fahnstock clip is
You mean one of these?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99416.gif
Views:	75
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1537431  
Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: bgchip

Does anyone know where I can get an old World Engines Expert Tx? I need one for parts. A bracket on one of the pots broke and I need to replace.
Was that the orange 6 channel that Hobby Shack used to sell before they went to rebranding Futabas or was that the 3 channel that quite a few outfits sold as a low end starter radio?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: masteromodels

Would anyone be interested in some world engines S-11 servos and some world micro servos.
I have a Pilot Box Fly with the big old S11's in it (they were not considered big then). Ithought that World Engines used todistribute the Pilot line of plane kits but I might be mistaken on that one.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Frank Schwartz

Re: The Fahnstock clip...

Yes, that's it!! Glad somebody remembered !!

Frank Schwartz
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

Re: The Fahnstock clip...

Yes, that's it!! Glad somebody remembered !!

Frank Schwartz

Frank,
It's one thing to be old enough to remember that clip.
It's anopther thing to tell the world that your old enough to remember it.
LOL
From another 'old' modeller.
Dennis
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 AM
overbuild

The Fahnstock clip looks like a clip used in a gang of three clips by Lionel Trains to supply power to the track.Memories of long ago.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Seems like my first crystal radio receiver used those for connections, so that the unintiated would not have to solder wires.

Les
Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Mooney_driver

Actually, Ithinkthe fahnstock clipwas invented so that the uninitiated could fix the problem...a dozen times before it would work. With the fahnstock clip we could test until we were blue in the face...or it worked. Which ever came first!
ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Seems like my first crystal radio receiver used those for connections, so that the unintiated would not have to solder wires.

Les
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Frank Schwartz

Yes..the wonderful and great Fahnstock clip. Some of you mgiht remember the old "doorbell" batteries...1 1/2 volts abnd abouit the diameter of a soft drink can and twice as high...early ones had thos fahnstock clips and I used them a lot on this and that...they progress came along and the clips were replaced with screw studs with round nuts to hold the wire in place....
One wonders about progress...it is like the contintntal drift...no one can stop it...
Frank Schwartz
AMA 123 85 years young...still building and flying.... chasing women, too, but scared I might catch one.....
Old 10-14-2017, 02:48 PM
pilotdude57

Do you still have the Hawk 460 kit? If so, please email me at [email protected] Thanks, Tracy