Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Butterfly ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Butterfly ?

OK guy's I need your help. I have a friend who tells me that this airplane is a Butterfly. I am not sure if it was built from kit or plans. I want to make sure it is balanced correctly before I put it in the air. Do any of you know where the CG should be set for this airplane.
Thanks,
Dale
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20568.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	478722  
Old 06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Butterfly ?

It looks like a design called the Dragonfly. If so, I have the issue of Model Builder with the construction article. I'll try to dig it up and get you the CG. But, if it has a lifting (airfoiled) tail you'll be fine around 40 to 50% back from the LE.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Gollywock

rainedav- I believe you might have hit the nail on the head. The best I remember, it was designed by Tex Newman for laid back flying. Pretty sure it had a 72" wing. Jim
Old 06-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Just Plane Nuts

It does have an air-foiled tail. It would be great if you can find the article. I don't want to make a mistake with this one by making it tail heavy. This airplane has an OS .26 four stroke on it. I am looking forward to flying it.
Thanks,
Dale
Old 06-17-2006, 06:54 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a pretty cool ride my friend! What is the fuselage length and the span of the stabilizer?

Robert
Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

It IS a Dragonfly! I built and lost one in a fly-away. I have the second framed up waiting for winter to finish. I LOVE that airplane!

I had an early O.S. .20 (yeah .20) 4-stroke engine it to start but quickly replaced it with a .15 FP. I have been toying with the idea of electrifying the next one. Anyway, the first one was just about the most graceful R/C model I've ever had - and that includes many sailplanes - since my first one I flew (once) in 1958.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:42 PM
rainedave

Dale, from the 10/96 Model Builder. From the sideview on the plans the CG looks to be around 55 to 60% back.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78764.gif
Views:	183
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	479029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77885.gif
Views:	121
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	479030  
Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Gollywock

I've been looking at the same article, and if my math serves me, it figures out to 55% aft from the leading edge. Anyone interested in building one, plans are available from Bill Northrop's Plan Service, comes with the magazine article. (702 896-2162) He takes calls from 10am-4pm pacific time. Email [email protected] Jim
Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Just Plane Nuts

ORIGINAL: build light

That is a pretty cool ride my friend! What is the fuselage length and the span of the stabilizer?

Robert
The fuse lenght is 48 1/2" and the horizontal stab is 30" wide.

rainedav,
Thanks for posting the print / CG for me and the glide test directions. I will have to call and order a set of prints for it.
I hope to have it in the air very soon. The 4-stroke was all gummed up from sitting so I took it off tonight and gave it a good cleaning. I was very impressed with the power of the .26 with a 10 x 4 prop on it. I have to put a new receiver in it and get it to balance. This airplane is from a collection of airplanes that I have been selling for a family of a fellow club member who passed away at a very young age (47). He had quite a collection. His family had him cremated and we have a drop box made and attached it to one of his airplanes and we are going to spread his ashes over the flying field. I am trying to get a bunch of his other airplanes together to have them flying the pattern when we drop him. I am sure his parents as well as his brother and sister would like to see them all airborn as Dan takes his last plane ride.
Dale
Old 06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
build light

Thanks Dale, This plane looks kinda like some of the electric parkflyers designed in the late 1990s. In another way it reminds me of some of the indoor unlimited rubber models in basic layout.

I am betting that this is a zero to very low wind flyer as it must have a really light wing loading. I love the description of the ROG with the .049 in a hands off liftoff! It sounds surrealistic.

I am thinking of using this design to make a slightly smaller electric version. I do like the idea of the lifting stab and it is even larger than I had suspected.
I like the other features. For instance the movable wing moment and the removable LG. Really cool stuff. It seems to cry out for a folding prop as well.

Is the stab and verticle fin also removable? If so one could easily break it down to fit in a box.

Robert
Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
build light

Dale, a couple more observations.The wing outwardly looks a great deal like the House of Balsa 2X6 sailplane.
Also the wheels appear to be a pair of the Williams Bros vintage wheels. Those things are both slim and light. A great choice someone made for this plane.

Robert
Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Gollywock

Robert- The plans/article explain a really neat method to build the wheels out of plywood discs and vacuum cleaner belts- Jim
Old 06-18-2006, 05:11 PM
build light

The more said about this, the more i think i should try to get a copy of the magazine if it is still available... Heck I might even buy the plan just to have the article though I am curious as to the rest of the magazine for that month.

Robert
Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Builderflyer

Dale, Gentlemen,
My name is Tex Newman, co-designer of the Dragonfly. It is always good to hear comments about that dear old airplane. I just stumbled across this site and read Dale's questions. The old bird flies well when balanced on the rear wing spar. Just slide it back and forth as necessary and go fly. Over the years since 1976 when it was first published, I have flow and test flown many many Dragonflys. Out of all of them there was only one that did not fly well, That one had been built and covered without carving and shaping the leading edges or trailing edges of both wing and stab. just square blunt edges. It flew but just barely. Don't worry about it Dale, if you haven't flown it yet just go and enjoy.
Over the years I have built several different size variations. The first was a 4' one with a Cox Tee Dee .020 and and Ace pulse proportional radio. I still fly it occoasionally. Next was an electric version using an Astro Cobalt .05 and about a pound of ni-cads. This motor had belonged to my good friend and Dragonfly co-designer Bob Lee. Bob died in 1992 and one of his sons gave me the electric motor. I promptly built a new Dragonfly and extended the wing to 7' to help carry the battery weight. I did fly the electric with the original 6' wing and it handled the weight very well.
A 1/2 size was next when I got into flying small electrics. This one has the GWS motor from a "Lite Stick" and today uses a two cell li-po battery and it flies well but a slightly bigger, 60%, at 42" flies much better.
About a year and a half ago I built a double size at 12'. Randy Randolph published a couple of pictures of it in his column in Flying Models. It was his next to last column before he passed away as I recall. It flies just like the others but relatively much slower. It is powered with an O.S. 1.20 FS. Last summer I f;lew it off the beach here in Oregon and it left 9' of tire tracks in the sand!
If I can be of any help please ask. I always enjoy hearing about the old bird and especially enjoy pictures.
Tex Newman
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 PM
andcash

I wouldn't mind building one as a trainer with an Irvine 20 i have had for years, looks a lot simpler then the Dynaflite Butterfly i'd been thinking about, and Can't get a kit for in Australia, any way.

Im wondering if Mr Tex Newman, co-designer of the Dragonfly could please help me out in anyway?

is nice to see something these days, thats don't come in a box ready built and is made of actuial wood.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Builderflyer

Hello, This is Tex Newman. What can I do to help you build a Dragonfly?
Tex
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 PM
rainedave

Dear Mr. Newman, thanks for posting and giving us the great info about the plane. It's just one of those designs that once you see it you always want to build a version. I've been messing around with those GWS geared 400s recently so maybe I'll bump the Dragonfly up on my "to build" list. 48" would probably be about right for that motor. I always saw a resemblance to some of Chet Lanzo's wings in the plane (I built a 96" Record Breaker years ago, soldered bird cage cabanes and all). Was there actually any inspiration from Lanzo's designs in the Dragonfly?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Builderflyer

Hello David, Although I was living in San Jose, Caligornia when the Old Timer movement got started and even flew ignition free flight back then, the Dragonfly was not inspired by the Lanzo record Breaker. It's inspiration came from a delightful little, 16" rubber model, "The Ross Flyer" by Clark Ross, that was published in the Jan-Feb 1967 issue of SIG AIR-MODELER Magazine. As the story goes: My family had just finished a lovely dinner with our friends the Lees. Bob and I were sitting at the table enjoying desert when he went into the family room and picked up his little Ross Flyer. We discussed it's attributes for a while then he turned around and gave the little plane a toss. It faithfully glided across the room and landed on the shelf where it belonged. In almost the same breath we both said, "We need an R/C that flies like that. We measured our radio equipment to determine what the minimum cross section of the fuselage had to be, then measured the package shelf in the back of his VW van where the plane would have to ride on the way to the flying field. It was a bit over 4'. Thus the 2 piece wing was determined as well as the maximum length of the fuselage. I went home and roughed out some drawings and gave Bob a copy and we were flying in just a couple of weeks. A local import store had just gotten in a selection of Davies Charlton diesel engines from The Isle of Man. We put the .047s on our planes and flew them rudder only for many years. At that time I was teaching two high school boys to fly various types of models and they built Dragonflys #4 & 5. For them we added elevator and used O.S. 10s with throttles. How it got into Model Builder Magazine is another story. And as they say, "The rest is history."
Tex Newman
Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 AM
andcash

Hello, This is Tex Newman. What can I do to help you build a Dragonfly?
Tex

Sir;

Thank you for your kind offer, My only dificulty in building your bird would be getting a copy of the plans here in Australia.
If you could guide me to a sorce of these plans, I Would be most happy to pay any shipping costs, or Download costs, etc
any other construction infomation or other information would be a great help.

Again thank you.

Andrew Who is enjoying Oldtimers much more than I thought I would.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Builderflyer

Hello Andrew,
Yes, the Old Timers are a lot of fun. I have a Thermal Magnet that I flew free flight with a Vivell .35 on ignition back in the early 70s. Today it has been recovered and powered by an O. S. .26 FS and uses the old Kraft radio that I flew the first Dragonfly with.
The Dragonfly plans are available from:
Bill Northrop's Plans Service
2019 Doral Court
Henderson NV 89074
USA
ph. (702)896-2162 (10-4 PT Mon-Fri)
fax(702)897-7775

He will send a copy of the article and I believe he has patterns for the parts. I have an addendum to the plans showing a revised method of making the cabane struts and installation of a steerable tailwheel and a complete materials list. Send me your mailing address and I will be happy to mail you a copy.
Tex
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Greasetattoo
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I realize this post is a few years old.

But, I have been hanging on to my 1996 Model Builder magazine, with the Dragonfly in it.
Now is the time to build it.
Finally..

Anyways, I have a question, maybe someone could answer..

Does anyone have a ball park figure on what the Dragonfly weighs?

As, I want to do the model with a brushless motor.

Thanks all!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:33 AM
RyanNX211

Tex, it is a great model. I think Northrop said he had more orders for that plan than any other.

http://www.thebuildingboard.com/search/label/Dragonfly
Old 09-13-2015, 03:45 PM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Does anyone have a copy of the Butterfly plan addendum explaining the improved cabane construction and steerabale tailwheel??
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:46 PM
aeronca52

I don't have it but where did you hear about the 'improved cabane' structure?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Butterfly does not have a cabane structure. The wing is placed directly on top of the fuselage:

http://www.dynaflite.com/airplanes/gpma0090.html

The model described in the first post is not a butterfly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.