Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Shoestring

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Carl Goldberg Shoestring

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:28 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Shoestring

I've recently acquired a Carl Goldberg Shoestring. Unfortunately, it's missing the Dural aluminum landing gear. Does anybody have one they could measure for me? Maybe one of the commercial units out there would work, but I have access to a brake, so making one would be easy enough, if I had the dimensions.

Anyone have any experience building and flying this model? I loved this one as a kid in those full page ads in M.A.N. I'll say one thing, after looking at the plans it looks like a complex build...Russ Farris
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Shoestring

Hey Russ,

The kit gear is made from a piece that is 13 1/2" long and 2" wide. It is 0.090 material.

The center of the gear is 2 3/8" x 2" with three mounting holes, two on the front spaced 2" apart 1/4" from the front. The rear mounting hole is centered, also 1/4" from the edge.

The legs are a straight taper down to 1 1/8". They are bent 3/4" from the end to vertical. They have three holes, one for the axel, and two for the screws to the wheel pants. These holes are 1/4" from the botom of the gear and inline.

When the gear is bent up, it stands 3 1/8" from the table to the top for the gear height.

I would build it with the full wing unless you really want hot landings. All the F1 airplanes I built were glass fuselages and foam cored wings with more glass. Side mounted engines with full cowls.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:00 AM
HighPlains

Oops, I forgot to mention that the front of the gear is straight, all the taper is on the back side.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:51 PM
maxpower1954

Bob - You are the Man! That's exactly the information I needed, many thanks. Have you flown a Shoestring?

Looking over the plans, I can see several things that need changing. The ailerons are smaller than scale, I'll bring them up to a least scale size, maybe a little larger. Also I'll use the scale dihedral and the full size wing. I like the looks of the upright engine, looks very 60s model airplane, less work than hiding it in the cheek cowl. I think a Super Tigre G21 .46 would be an excellent vintage engine for this one. Russ Farris
Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM
HighPlains

I flew a glass and foam Formula One Shoestring made by Tom Strom from Washington. It was derived from a Jim Kelly designed "el Bandito", also glass and foam. The ST engine should be fine for sport.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ,
Check this out from RCM:

R/C Modeler Magazine Store SHOESTRING pl-157 cat. 2, $18.50 by Carl Goldberg,
54" span, 540 sq. in., .19-.40, 4 ch., built-up balsa and plywood, two sheets (2) 39" x 59",

Issue: RCM 1-66

With a .46 it should be a bat out 'o hell[X(]
Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used an OS Max 40H in mine and it was plenty for flying. Of course the ST46 will swing a little more prop but it was not known as a high performance motor. It is however a superb runner.
As to building, well at the time it was fairly typical as most kits go and actually was considered one of the better offerings because of it's completeness. If it's considered a rough build today well progress has made most of those old construction techniques obsolite. Build it an enjoy the experience of really building a good kit.
Dennis
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: pookielips1954

I have access to a brake, so making one would be easy enough, if I had the dimensions.

Anyone have any experience building and flying this model? I loved this one as a kid in those full page ads in M.A.N. I'll say one thing, after looking at the plans it looks like a complex build...Russ Farris
At risk of "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs", make sure the bend has a decent radius and avoid marks or polish them out, Dural is rather notch brittle. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I avoided that precaution despite knowing better and suffered a fracture of the component.

I went to a Wings and Wheels model meeting on Sunday, there was a huge tented shopping mall on the airfield and ARTF ruled. It's nice to hear there are still some people building models, best of luck.

old git aka John L.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6061-T6 aluminum should do it. If you use 2024, brace it with a wire spreader.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:27 AM
fritzke

I fly an original (built from the kit) CG Shoestring with the long wing and an OLD Enya .45.
It is stable and predictable. I did have to replace the original wheel pants with some newer
FG ones from Great Planes (or Kyosho, I forget what I ended up using..)
Anyway, flies very well for me. See my gallery for a photo.
Dave
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In its day the $19.95 kit price was a pretty good deal. They offered the option for “hot shots” to remove 7” of the center wing section for more speed and scale looks. The engine was OK vertically mounted in the original because we did not use mufflers back then, but they had a side mount option. I’d need to mount the engine in the right cowl nowadays to make it easer to hide the muffler. The ad also indicates that you could even install a proportional radio rather than a 6, 8 or 10 channel reed system. Amazing that proportional radio could be used. :-)

Old 07-09-2006, 11:39 PM
maxpower1954

Bob (High Plains) I just got around to looking at the top view of the fuselage of the Shoestring plan; I think the gear must be 3 3/8 incheswide at the top, not 2 3/8 right?
Great Planes makes a commercial Dural .40 size gear that is 3 1/4 wide in the mounting area, 10 3/4 across and 3 1/4 tall...that's probably close enough!
They also have fibreglass wheel pants for the Minnow ARF available that are very close to the CG Shoestring shape and size - Russ Farris