Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Trexler Wheel Maintenance

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Trexler Wheel Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:28 AM
robhoneycutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trexler Wheel Maintenance

I have several sets of trexlers, and my newest, biggest, pair, (6")

are getting a spiderwebbing affect, lightly cracking all over.. its not that bad yet, but the model is only 6 months old..

I have tried armor-all on them, but that just makes it shiny... any there rubber conditioner out there? Belt dressing?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43912_13905.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	27466  
Old 12-31-2002, 01:41 AM
k7dfw
My Feedback: (3)

Default ARMOR-ALL

Do a GOOGLE search on Armor-All damage and you'll find that some people caution against using it on vinyl or rubber.

I tend to believe what they say since my blemish free dash pad immediately cracked in many places after using Armor-All for the first time.

Some caution that it contains alcohol and dries out the material. Here is an example...

http://*****.com/irx

They claim that "303 Aerospace Protectant" is a safer product.

http://*****.com/irv

I've never used it but I've been bitten by Armor-All and won't use that on anything I care about ever again.

Rolynn

Old 12-31-2002, 04:15 AM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

Default I've used

brake fluid before. Just FYI
Old 12-31-2002, 05:38 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think there's anything you can do about the cracks. That's oxidized rubber. I suspect the tires you got were either very old stock or were stored or displayed for quite a while in a sunny and/or warm place until you got them.

You can try either brake fluid or automatic tranny fluid to help them and a good rub of #40 sunscreen to extend them into their soon to be old age wouldn't hurt either. At least it'll keep the sun from doing it's damage as fast.

Next time I'd check them in the store by streching the rubber over your fingers a bit and looking for any signs of cracking that indicates the bad storage practices.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:28 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto parts stores used to sell tire dressing, a brush on. Bad thing is it used to only come in quarts . When I said used to I don`t know any more, bought mine 20 years ago , still have 1/2 left ! HAPPY NEW YEAR .big max 1935
Old 12-31-2002, 08:02 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rob:

Armor-All, tire dressing, etc are immediate appearance enhancements, and do nothing for preservation. Some. like Armor-All, actually accellerate failure.

But Formula 560 canopy glue does very well for me with Trexler tires. Canopy glue? Yep. I've even fixed leaks with it.

Wash the tires thoroughly, be sure to remove all oils. Including your skin oil. Dry them, and handle only with clean cloth 'til you're finished. Blow them up just enough to open the cracking, wipe enough 560 on to fill the cracks, then let the pressure fall to the point that the tires just hold their shape. Then leave them alone for 24 hours. The 560 will glue the checking, and add an amount of anti-wear to the tread.

Tricks for maximum life: Never leave them inflated. Bet yours have been blown up for the six months you've had them. That aggravates climatic deterioration, keeping the rubber stretched. Never blow them up by mouth - puts moisture inside, again, accellerates deterioration. Don't twist the filler tubes to seal; cut small pieces of music wire to stick in instead. Be absolutely sure to round the ends of the wire, you can stick the wire through the side of the tube before you notice otherwise. But still wrap the filler tube inside the wheel rim to secure it. When you twist the tube, if there is the least amount of moisture inside it wont want to reopen.

Hope this helps.

Trexlers on my twin, bounces like original sin.

Bill.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:21 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! Bill you are really up on things!! Moved you up on my list of people to see when I win the lottery !! HAPPY NEW YEAR MAX Fill a Finn with Gin & put him in a Twin!!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:26 AM
William Robison

Max, you knob twister!

I still have a Pro-Line Competition Six single stick rig, too.

I used to be a "Knob Twister,"
. but you see, my thumb has this blister...

Bill.

PS: Happy New Year to you, also. wr
Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 PM
robhoneycutt

thanks for the tips!

RE: deflation, I do not have to deflate all the way?

Do you cut the tubes shorter than stock?

Thanks again,

Rob
Old 12-31-2002, 04:07 PM
William Robison

Rob,

When not flying just pull the wires from the tubes, let the tire assume whatever size and shape it wants. But don't leave weight on the wheel, block the plane up or hang it from your ceiling, put it on a rack, whatever. If you want to go to the trouble, take the wheels off for storage, with a light dusting of talcum powder.

Don't cut the tubes, they will be shortened as you use them; you'll damage the ends in normal service and slowly cut them back.

Something I forgot to mentiion, when you slip the tubes into the rims wind them against normal rotation: that is as the wheel rolls forward wind the tube into the rim. On grass I've had the tubes hooked and pulled out. Another reason for using the wires: tires don't go flat when the tubes pop free. And they sometimes will on a hard landing.

Hey Max, liked yours about the Finn. Reminds me of the woman of questionable repute who went into a hotel with a Swede and came out with two fins. She also did magic tricks - I took a ride with her and she turned into a motel.

Twin engined planes, Finns, and Trexler wheels,
. so much information, the mind reels!

Bill.