Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Old Hobby Shack Model "The Real Thing"

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old Hobby Shack Model "The Real Thing"

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 PM
SnApRoLl-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old Hobby Shack Model

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

I can't think of an easier design to scratch build. Then you know how strong it is.
Ditto. I already have the balsa and ply sitting next to the plans. After pricing the wood and hardware including what I already had, I'm at roughly $26.00 to build the airframe. Not including a few rolls of covering I have laying around.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

You can't get any simpler with this model. Just wondering, SnApRoLl-, are you going to put a round cowl on it?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
ngenoese

I just bought one and was wondering the best way to strengthen the wing center joint? I was thinking of wrapping the joint with a 2 inch wide fiberglass cloth/tape.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
n
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM
joeljelly

I am going to replace the dihedral brace they use to connect the two wing halves that comes with the arf with a carbon fiber piece on the replace my plane Hobby People sent me. I don't think there will be any issues with the wrong after that.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM
SnApRoLl-

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

You can't get any simpler with this model. Just wondering, SnApRoLl-, are you going to put a round cowl on it?
Hi,
No round cowl!!!!!

Shawn
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
SnApRoLl-

ORIGINAL: joeljelly

I am going to replace the dihedral brace they use to connect the two wing halves that comes with the arf with a carbon fiber piece on the replace my plane Hobby People sent me. I don't think there will be any issues with the wrong after that.
As ngenoese mentioned, fiberglassing the center section might be a good idea. It's easy to do, light weight and adds a lot of strength! I did it to mine when I built my kit many years ago and when it went in due to a radio hit, the center section was still intact. Everything else around it was broken and it went in hard from a good 50-60 feet!

Shawn
Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

I finally bought one, they are on sale for $40.
Will replace the DH brace or glass the wing center section,
or both.
Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joeljelly,
at least we now know it has the additional feature of being an excellent automatic radio disposal system It reminds me of the Tarfu (that airplane is really f@#*ing ugly) free flight design that Bud McNorgan used to build.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
rc lifer

Hey, I have a buddy who built a No Big Thing from an old kit he had in the attic. He past it down to me after he stepped on it. I have repaired it and I put a 1806 Hk 2500 kv motor with a 7/3 prop on 2 lipos and it flys. The most fun thing to with it is low passes,and we laugh each time it goes by, it is so ugly its cute. When the power is cut all the way it has about a 2 to 1 glide ratio. The firewall is about the size of a standard red building brick and the NBT probably is a little more aerodynamic. Its a hoot an a half. I do have a kit of the original Real Thing. Which will some day grace the sky here locally.