Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

'Hoosier Hotshot' : April '67 RCM Construction Article

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

'Hoosier Hotshot' : April '67 RCM Construction Article

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:12 AM
injunnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Hoosier Hotshot' : April '67 RCM Construction Article

Does anyone have the April '67 issue of RCM ..... I would sure like to get scans of the 'Hoosier Hotshot' 1/2A Pylon Racer construction article by Owen Kampen if possible? I have been craving this model ever since it came out as a Midwest kit back in the late sixties. Many thanks in advance!
Donald Garry
Old 08-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: 'Hoosier Hotshot' : April '67 RCM Construction Article

Contact the AMA Librarian. They make quality photocopies for a modest price.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

Does anyone have the April '67 issue of RCM ..... I would sure like to get scans of the 'Hoosier Hotshot' 1/2A Pylon Racer construction article by Owen Kampen if possible? I have been craving this model ever since it came out as a Midwest kit back in the late sixties. Many thanks in advance!
Donald Garry
I have that issue in storage. I will look it up but I can't scan till next week. If you get another offer quicker, get it. Otherwise I will scan it for you.

my email is [email protected]

Remove the spam preventer dashes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 PM
boberos

I believe that design uses molded foam wings.
Are they still available & where?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good question. Yes it does use the Ace foam wings. Not sure if it calls for the tapered set or the constant chord set.

Where can ya findem? Once again good question. I have heard that quantum carries these but I have not seen them listed there in ages myself.

Ask this question in the 1/2A forum for a better answer. If someone does say they know make sure they verify the link. I have the odd feeling these may be really hard to get these days. However I hope I am wrong. Though not a great wing ( to me they were rather heavy) THey were used in many a model plan published in a variety of the magazines. Among them I would say over a dozen in RCM alone. It would be a real shame for these to dissappear from the market.

Good luck with finding them, Robert
Old 08-28-2006, 04:53 AM
iflyj3

I just retrieved the mag from the archives. According to the plans the wing and stab are Midwest with the wing shortened to 36 inches. The test says the stab can also be reduced by an inch.

injunnut1, send me an email with your email address so I can send the scans to you.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:29 PM
build light

Boy did I err this go 'round. As a matter of fact the discussion of which wing to use with this plane was in a thread I myself started not very long ago.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4600551/tm.htm

Wow an I gonna miss my mind when it really goes!
Thanks iflyj3 for keeping everyone straight. Including me.

Robert
Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
injunnut1

Hello iflyj3,
Got the scans early this morning, what a pleasant surprise to start out the day ..... THANKS MUCH! Now for Owen's RCM Aug. 67 'Bonzo' article <grin>, there's never enough!!! Seriously though, I do NOT want to have you give me an inch and then take a mile sort of syndrome. I would be happy to $$pay$$ for your time or send you something IF you could muster up this one more construction article for me, also would like the cover photo which is supposed to show the real 'Bonzo' along with Owen Kampen's model 'Bonzo'. One more question ..... there seems to be mention of a THIRD model in this series, the 'Shoestring' to be exact, does anyone know if this model was ever a construction article or if 'Midwest' might have kitted this 'Shoestring' Racer later on? At the top of the first page in the 'Hoosier Hotshot' article there sets proudly perched a 'Bonzo' (I think?), the 'Shoestring' (I think?), and one other I cannot identify? As I 'sort of remember', I believe there was a set of rules adopted for racing these particular 1/2A models in one of these RCM articles, I am hoping it is in the later 'Bonzo' article?!
Dan, do you build and / or fly the Small Stuff? I do have various spare 1/2A parts, glow plugs, engines, etc. ..... if you need anything please send me a list and I will try to help you out. You have certainly helped me with researching this 'Hoosier Hotshot' project! And BTW, I do reckon the Ace foam wings could be substituted, or one could easily 'build up' a wing if need be?! And a sheet balsa stab could be substituted for the 'Midwest' foam stab.
Sincerely, Donald Garry
Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
build light

I am not sure of the chord on the midwest wing or how different it would be than the midwest wing.
However it was noted that the Sig wing would be close enuogh to substitute and is available from Sig.

What do you measure on the root chord on your Hoosier plans? This may tell us whether you could substitute the Ace wingset. At least you would not have to cut it down to the 36".

Robert
Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

Hello iflyj3,
Got the scans early this morning, what a pleasant surprise to start out the day ..... THANKS MUCH! Now for Owen's RCM Aug. 67 'Bonzo' article <grin>, there's never enough!!! Seriously though, I do NOT want to have you give me an inch and then take a mile sort of syndrome. I would be happy to $$pay$$ for your time or send you something IF you could muster up this one more construction article for me, also would like the cover photo which is supposed to show the real 'Bonzo' along with Owen Kampen's model 'Bonzo'. Sincerely, Donald Garry
Donald,

OK, one more time.

What you can do for me is; Since you are interested in pre 1970 stuff, if you are not a member of the VRCS is join up. The web site is http://www.vintagercsociety.org/ and the YAHOO group is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vrcs/ If you are already a member, make a donation to the organization or get more to join in.

With that said, I have said magazine and will scan the article and cover ASAP. I may be gone till Tuesday if the weather is good, otherwise I'll do it in the next couple of days.

I still have your email addy.