Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

babcock escapements

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
1 builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default babcock escapements

Is it possible to hook up an escapement to a modern receiver?...I am finishing a 1953 Trixter Beam...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: babcock escapements

Yes, but....

It depends on how bad you want to do it and how much money you're willing to spend.

It also will depend on how much fidelity to antique flight you wish to achieve versus the reliability of modern components.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
1 builder

Someone was wondering if the Trixter Beam I was finishing was a kit or from plans...It is from a kit, which was framed up but needed some repair...I needed to make a vert. stab and rudder, but other than that it was in good shape...I'm not sure when the kit was built, but it is built with ambroid glue...I also have the original plans and the box the kit came in...It is being finished in tissue and dope...I will be using a 1970s era Futaba AM radio with a OS 10LA engine...I'll try to get some pictures...I also have a 1958 Berkley Piper Comanche in the box... It is complete!...The price on the box is $8.50...Any idea what this is worth?...
Old 09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
ronrange
My Feedback: (20)

$8.50 sounds like a fair price to me. Consider it sold. :>)

Thanks for the feedback on the Beam. Looking forward to pics.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you got taken. The price tag on my Berkeley Comanche says $4.95. When For took over the daily operations in 1960 they upped the price of all kits $1 Didn't mean they would sell any faster.

There is a fellow who once advertised in an RCU classifieds a gizmo that you could plug into a receiver, and create an electronic switch. Considering the modern receivers weigh even less now, this may be the way to go. He was selling it to boaters, for use in turning on lights. The modern model boater has little use today for escapements.

Wm.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
1 builder

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

I think you got taken. The price tag on my Berkeley Comanche says $4.95. When For took over the daily operations in 1960 they upped the price of all kits $1 Didn't mean they would sell any faster.

There is a fellow who once advertised in an RCU classifieds a gizmo that you could plug into a receiver, and create an electronic switch. Considering the modern receivers weigh even less now, this may be the way to go. He was selling it to boaters, for use in turning on lights. The modern model boater has little use today for escapements.

Wm.
CBL you got a deal on your Comanche...I say this because I have a copy of Model Airplane News from Sept. 1958 with a list price of $8.95 for the Berkley Comanche...By the way this kit is 2 years older than I am...1 Buider
Old 09-18-2006, 10:04 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Cessna 170 has a grease pen marking of $7.95 on the box for it. Got it from a friend back decades ago. He actually made a profit off of selling it to me, for the store was going out of business and everything was 1/2 price.

Wm.