Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Giant Flying Quaker HELP!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Giant Flying Quaker HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 AM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Flying Quaker HELP!!!

who ever wants to listen. the sun shineing bright on this sunday am and should be another good flying day. dick
Old 10-30-2006, 08:02 AM
RC-Archer

Can I ask a favor? I'm building a 35" Quaker right now. I have it all framed up and ready for sanding and covering. I need a picture of the Quaker logo if there is one. The CAD plans that I built off of does not show a logo. And I want to copy the logo on to the plane.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:45 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do a search for Quaker you'll find the original add from the 30's. I think it was Golden Age that posted it, about a year ago.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 PM
RC-Archer

Thanks Evan.

Here's a picture of the Super Quaker
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96285.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	551516  
Old 10-31-2006, 01:54 AM
old git

Hi RC Archer,

Thanks for the picture, I found it hard to believe my eyes. Thoughts of Photoshop crossed my mind but why? I can hear the scale judges complaining "No the undercarriage is too short".

"Oh Lordy!, I believe!" I guess it's similar to the question put to Everest (and other) climbers. "Why?" only to receive the answer "Because it's there!"

I had the Quaker logo on my back up hard drive, that alas seems to have crashed. It's not only my models that crash, my main hard drive went bust and cost a fortune to recover most of the data and I was offline for some time, then the extra storage fell down on the job. I have an inaccessible Quaker box that may have the logo. When I can persuade the wife to allow me to move boxes from the box-room so I can actually get in I may find it.

old git - - - - - aka John L.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:20 AM
RC-Archer

Yeah, it still blows me away to look at the picture. To me it is mind boggling that nobody got in and tried to fly it. The only thing better than radio control is actually driving/flying it.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! 23 foot Quaker! I know where to put the lawn chair to do some real flying!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bob Wilkinson

If you ever get to go to the Joe Nall event, look in Pat Hartness's hanger. There is a 36' Quaker parked in there. It has one half of a VW engine in it and many of us flew it several years ago at the old site of the Joe Nall event. Don't think it has flown in recent years, but I could be wrong. I just have not seen it fly since Pat moved to his new location in Woodruff, S.C.

How many lawn chairs can you put in that?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 PM
dicknadine

who ever wants to listen. this isn't a closed circuit to my knowlage. dick
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dick I was just wondering since you were not really following the flow of the thread, Didn't mean to piss ya off, you answered it already anyway a few posts up...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:04 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: RC-Archer

Can I ask a favor? I'm building a 35" Quaker right now. I have it all framed up and ready for sanding and covering. I need a picture of the Quaker logo if there is one. The CAD plans that I built off of does not show a logo. And I want to copy the logo on to the plane.
Here we go for a trial to send a logo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13005.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	553501  
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 PM
old git

Hi All,

Aint life wonderful when a plan comes together.

I haven't been able to send pics for about a year, foible of my mac after the hard drive went down.

Now I have used my wife's computer and it works.

I have long forgotten my RCU password so to access RCU on my wife's machine I had to get there by opening an eMail notification that someone had posted. Life does get complicated sometimes.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:38 AM
RC-Archer

Thanks, John. That is actually a great picture!! I'm starting to get interested in building a giant Quaker since I have a Quadra sitting around looking for a new home.

Hmmmmm
Old 11-03-2006, 09:35 AM
old git

Hi Archer,

Go for it. I asked Evan some time back what he used to construct his BIG Quaker. Apparently he used the TLGE calculation and cut some softwood planks into square section sticks. His 16'? model was the result.

ORIGINAL: RC-Archer

Thanks, John. That is actually a great picture!! I'm starting to get interested in building a giant Quaker since I have a Quadra sitting around looking for a new home.

Hmmmmm
Go for it, use the engine, build the model while you can. I wasted years working on various things that were not models. I heard a comedian on TV last night saying that money does not buy happiness, he went on to say, "That is unless I spent it on Booze and Prostitutes." To each his own!

My wife was discussing my engine collection with a friend who asked "how many engines does he need?" She replied "I suppose it's OK, rather like collecting China Teapots." I am beginning to recognise how lucky I am, she helped me sort out my woodwork shop and has offered to help me sort the model workshop. As a librarian she is good at catalogueing items and making lists of their location.

I was looking at the wood in my Quaker 84" span kit and it's just begging to be built