Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

How do I cover with silk?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

How do I cover with silk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
tango charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I cover with silk?

I want to cover my plane with silk and dope, but I've never done it before. Is there a website that gives some basic pointers to get me started? What weight of silk should I use on a Sig Kadet Sr.? Is "tissue" and Silkspan the same as silk? Can I get a nice finish by brushing or should I set up a spray booth?
Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do I cover with silk?

Take a look at this thread.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2923599/tm.htm
Old 10-27-2006, 09:29 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go here. It is worth the trip.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/Member...ge_article.htm

Model Aviation. October 1993

Les
Old 10-28-2006, 08:37 AM
GWILLIE

Just 1 hint. Go over the area you are going to cover with a light sanding. If you are covering over an open framework, use a long sanding block to get the tops of the ribs or cap strips smooth and even. The slightest rough spot will snag the silk and may cause a runner or at the least, look bad when you are finished.

The Goldberg Skylane 42 was silk and doped about 1965.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10154.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	549805  
Old 12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Laird SS

When my dad and I covered a CL plane with silk in the 50's, we put it on wet and held it in place with clear dope. One thing we learned was not to wring out the excess water in the silk. It leaves fine wrinkles that won't come out. Pat the water out with a towel and get rid of the wrinkles (ripples) by stretching the silk gently.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Using silk and dope???
Have a understanding wife...that likes the smell!

I also remember painting the first coat "up-side-down" so not to "puddle" under the silk on open wingspans.
AAAAA' yes the good old days
Old 12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those first coats of dope should be more thinner then dope to reduce the puddling, Yes, it pays to hold the wing up while you dope the first 2 coats on it. Alernately you can spray a few well thinned coats of dope on and eliminate the arm fatigue. As soon as the pores are sealed then go to a thicker mixture of dope and thinner. If your going to be leaving the natural color of the silk with just some trim then a coat of GlassKote epoxy clear and whatever color your trim is will work wonders.
Just so you know one thing. Finishing a silk covered plane is not an economical venture, Dopes and thinners are expensive and so are the paints. The rewards of course if you have done it well are beyond dollars.
dennis
Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done silk before, silkspan too. But how do you cover an undercambered wing with silk? Naturally, I'm concerned with the bottom side.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

If all else fails, go here. All your questions are already answered, including undercambered wings.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/Member...ge_article.htm
Model Aviation. October 1993

Les
Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
packet

Throw away the silk and use Super Coverite. Easiest fabric covering I have ever used. No fumes, shrinks with a hair dryer nice and tight.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:12 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

I have used silk on many planes over the years & find that is is still the best looking of all the coverings . Just watch the shrinking as it will really warp surfaces when dry, plastisize it with a few drops of Castor oil in your thinned finishing coats . Make sure that the grain or weave runs span wise or you will get sags between the ribs .
I use the old type glue (Ambroid or Sig ) & put a layer on the rib under camber . When putting the silk on dope the ribs one at a time & the dope will soften the glue & it will stick good .
Many years ago a modeler had a hint in one of the magazines as to how to stop the dope from going through the silk . He used a piece of old T shirt ,laid it on the silk starting at the center of the wing & using unthinned dope saturated the T shirt fabric on the back end & at the same time pull it slowly over the fabric while brushing more dope on the T shirt . Takes a little practice but it really works & will fill the weave in one coat . If it leaves any fuzzies they will sand off with very fine sandpaper that I also use to trim the silk around the surfaces , Good luck , MAX H.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Hey Big Max. I think you should reconsider running the grain chordwise, I think you meant spanwise.

Les
Old 12-26-2006, 11:32 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks Les , must have been one of my senior moments or sniffing to much dope fumes. My wife hates the stuff ,says it smells the whole house up . Keeps the mice & the spiders out though . Thanks again , MAX
Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Foget the Super Coverite! It is way too heavy for anything smaller than a full size DC3!
Sig Koverall when properly applied is about the same weight as Monokote. I've used it with great success on planes as small as .15 size. Easy to work with, light and very inexpensive. Great stuff.