Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

OS pet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Sky Dart1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS pet?

can any of you fellas tell me more about this engine? I've never heard of it, and I think it's pretty cool. http://cgi.ebay.com/BOXED-OS-PET-099...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS pet?

All that I can remember was that O.S. used that title on N.A. sold engines from late 1950's through the very early 1960's when the Type II came out. It may have been used in Non-North American sales for years later.

I beleive that Toyota used the Pet name for a few advertisements also.

Wm.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an OS Pet 099, bought in 1957, I flew it quite a bit. It was not an easy starting engine for me at the time. I have one, rather beat up, which I got off ebaY. Ran it once and it ran OK, but I have managed to strip the glowplug thread. Friend has heilcoil to fix same so will get that done sometime. I also have an FP 10 which is much more powerful; compares to a TD 09.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Here's some photos of the one I have, from the collection of the late John Broda, of San Diego, Ca.
John was near the end of his run, and shortly after I bought him out, he succumbed to cancer.

This engine is still new in the box, and has never been run. Unfortunately, the muffler was missing when I bought it.
The carburator has a rotating barrel, but is just an air valve. The needle valve is below the carb. The silendcer was supposed to be held on with an extension spring, which was fairly common in the early days.

I thought that you might want to see some photos of the topic.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47075.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	584414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17099.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	584415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46172.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	584416  
Old 12-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The O.S. Max Pet .099 was produced into the 1970's. It was eventually replaced by the O.S. Max .10 FSR.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In truth those are the last models of the Pet 09. they were origionally a very different looking motor. They were origionally a steel fin model with black anodized cylinder and a 3 bolt backplate design. Offered as a controlline or R/C with a drop in rotating carb. Price was $.95 and $5.95 respectively. They were relatively hard starting and prone to running hot which is unusual for small motors. Still I hold a soft spot for the motor and someday I'll get another one for nostalgia, if nothing else.
Dennis
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is my Pet purchased from Reginald Dennys LHS in Hollywood about 1957. It powered my first successfull RC airplane, an Airco Aero 9. This same one has also powered my more contemperary remake of that airplane in recent years.

It is a three bolt rear plate, four bolt head and the throttle is two position with a big hole and a little one probably for two position escapement operation. It is really a just an airvalve above the venturi and no articulated exhaust baffle or muffler was used.

It started best with the throttle (airvalve) wide open.

John

Name:	Zw69776.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	585169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92536.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	585170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73798.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	585171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25941.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	585172  
Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Here is my Pet purchased from Reginald Dennys LHS in Hollywood about 1957. It powered my first successfull RC airplane, an Airco Aero 9. This same one has also powered my more contemperary remake of that airplane in recent years.

It is a three bolt rear plate, four bolt head and the throttle is two position with a big hole and a little one probably for two position escapement operation. It is really a just an airvalve above the venturi and no articulated exhaust baffle or muffler was used.

It started best with the throttle (airvalve) wide open.

John

Do you still have the nicely anodized red free flight tank that bolted to the backplate?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
JohnBuckner

Unfortunately not Dennis, I never used it so it disappeared years ago.

John
Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 AM
JohnBuckner

Thanks Dennis, your question set me on a search through the secret stashes and success, found it.[8D]

Name:	Hf99828.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	585950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88673.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	585951  
Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OS Pet first appeared on the market around 1957, replacing an earlier OS '099' engine (a twinstack similar to the larger OS 20's of the early 50's). The Pet was intended as a 'bottom of the range' beginners engine. Production continued well into the 70's.There were 4 distinct models (though OS only acknowledge 3 by model type!) The very first used a drop in liner,slip on aluminium fins and a plain unfinned head retained by only 2 bolts. The next version had the more familiar integral finned steel liner, a plain unfinned head and this was held down by 4 head bolts. The series-II Pet appeared around 1960 and was made in huge quantities-in fact the Pet-III only appeared because the dies for the Pet-II were worn out! The Pet-II had the blued steel finned cylinder, and a rounded cast-finned head, plus an R/C option was available where the throttle assembly plugged into the intake of the standard model.
I concur with other comments that this model was quite hard to start (certainly in the pre-electric starter days) from cold-and almost impossible when hot! They were very common in NZ when I was a junior-and still turn up from time to time.
The Pet-III appeared around 1972 and was a complete redesign, using a full depth crankcase casting, drop in liner, and a deeper finned casthead. There was no provision for an integral backplate mounted fuel tank, unlike the earlier models.In appearance not dissimilar to a series 100 Veco 19. This model too had an R/C throttle option, but with a square, rather than a round thottle body-and unlike all previous Pets, came with a silencer-the OS 701 model. Undoubtedly the best made Pet by far=and superior in performance to the earlier OS Max-10! [but by now of course OS had the Max -10 FSR under development if not in production!]
Pet-II and Pet-III's seem to crop up reasonably frequently on Ebay.................

'ffkiwi'
Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 AM
burtcs

sd1:

I don't have much to add. I got a steel cylindered Pet II, removed the RC carb (never had the tank). As I recall it turned about 17k compared to a 10FP which turned 18K on the same fuel, same prop. This was maybe 10% -15% nitro, they like to rev. I've seen several flown in freeflights and they do well. I've not noticed any hard starting. The RC carb is crude, just a throttle body really.

regards - Steve B.