Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Curtiss Robin

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:34 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curtiss Robin

Well, I'm not at all happy with the windscreen but it's the best I can do for now. The framework is so thin that I don't have much to glue to so I used the screws. Oh well, in the air...

I installed the control horns for the elevator, rudder and ran the tubing for the throttle today. I hate radio installation and this one is no different. I use thin CA on the hinges and even with a syringe, it flows all over the painted surfaces. Really p*sses me off.

I used standoffs to secure the outer nyrods and used CF-reinforced inners. The surfaces are guided by Futaba 3003's and the throttle is a Hitech HS-81 micro. Ailerons are JR standards. Futaba 7 channel FM receiver and a 2500mA Ni-Mh battery pack.

Just about done all but connecting the carb linkage and plumbing the fuel tank.

Once the hand heals,(and the rain ceases), I'm out to the field for the maiden.

PM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83676.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	674171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74378.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	674172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14295.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	674173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78538.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	674174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig73404.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	674175  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:29 PM
PointMagu

***COMPLETED***

I finished the Robin up this morning and have been putzing with the needle extension and antenna routing.

I messed a few things up as I installed the radio gear but I'm not going back and replace the side windows over scratches and stuff.

The windscreen is STILL my #1 gripe but I AM trying to put it behind me, lol...

I have not sealed the Krylon enamel. Using an OS 40 Surpass, I don't anticipate issues with the finish. I'll let ya know if this is/was a big mistake :-)

Here she is then. I was going to place a stripe down the fuselage side but I think I'll simply use trim stripe from Goldberg or Great Planes. Orange and cream sounds nice. I would still like to place my Uncle Gil's original AMA # on the wing....

Thanks for following along. It's been a fun challenge getting the old bird airworthy after all these years. Uncle Gil if you're watching, I hope I've done your design justice.

I'll post the maiden flight results when my injury allows flight status once again.

Tallyho!

PM

Name:	Xv64203.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	674859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62131.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	674860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59452.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	674861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11787.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	674862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr19488.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	674863  
Old 05-26-2007, 06:29 PM
PointMagu

Initial Flight Report:

Last weekend, our club Pres, Bob Whittington took my Robin for it's initial trim flight. I had attempted that 1st flight myself but do to windy conditions, knocking knees and a slightly tail-heavy airframe, Bob took over and managed to get her down in one piece. A few quick oz's of lead were added to the tank compartment.

The wind was about 15mph and the OS 40 Surpass was chuggin' flat out. Bob turned into the wind and the Robin elevatored almost straight up! He flew it around and around, handed it to me and that mysterious knee-knocking commenced almost immediately. I did mention this airframe is 40+ years old, didn't I? LOL...Bob landed her and we knew she flew.

Fast forward to Thursday evening. After work, I loaded the Robin up and headed for the field. Having the field to myself, I attached the 4 struts, fueld up, charged, checked the Voltwatch and fired 'er up. Dead calm, flat out and she just would NOT rotate. I did some of the fanciest tip to tip ground loops you ever saw trying to horse her off the runway. She finally ended up on her back with a crumpled fin but no other damage. Hmmm...

Friday was spent swapping out the new 40 Surpass for a well used Thunder Tiger FS52. New mounting holes drilled, new throttle linkage installed and a good night's sleep.

8:30AM today and I find myself alone AGAIN at our pristine flying site. Huh? Memorial Day weekend and I'm the ONLY one flying???

Oh well, I had a cooler, a chair, some great big band CD's and I also loaded my KAOS 90 just for fun. I fueled the Robin, fired up the 52 and WHOOPEE! She rotated and climbed for Heaven. A tad of down trim, a little left aileron and a click of left rudder and she's putt-puttin' along hands-off. I flew for about 10 min's and realized I might be bingo fuel with this larger engine so I throttle back and set her up on final. She flys right past me about 5 ft off the deck and keeps on going. Ok. Longer approach, full down trim on the throttle and let's try this again. Same fly-by only longer, :-) Gee, she sure looks nice low and slow.

Now I'm realizing that low-end ain't low enough so once down, an end-point adjustment will be called for. So, I fly her down. She touches softly, tail high and rolls right on past me clipping along at a faster-than-taxi, pace. Full up elevator; the tail plunks down and I apply full right ruder and steer her back to the pits. I had to completely close the needle to shut down. Whew!

Stoo-pid. I should have realized the larger engine wouldn't have the same throws as the OS. Nothing serious mind you...just a little more of that knee-knocking.

I popped a diet Pepsi Lime, cranked up Glenn Miller and sipped away for a bit before fueling up my new KAOS 90. That 1st flight will be posted on the forum I started last year while scratching it from MAN plans.

Photos? Gee, I can't say that I'm good enough to fly and snap at the same time. Had the camera with me but no one to capture the moment. Maybe tomorrow!

Hope your Memorial Day has started off as great as mine has!

PM

Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A word of caution about Rustoleum, Krylon and the like: a test on a piece of scrap doesn't necessarily settle the issue. I have done the test and then been dismayed to wind up with peeling paint on the fuse behind the exhaust. I assume that it is hot fuel that makes the difference. I suppose that if the engine is a little rich that raw hot fuel is coming out. Whatever, it can really make a mess out of your airplane. Do a top coat with a proven product (and test compatibility with whatever's underneath)

Oh--congratulations on the flying!

Jim
Old 05-26-2007, 08:22 PM
PointMagu

Yeah, I realize that my decision NOT to polyurethane over the Krylon may prove a bad move.

The 5 coats of clear butyrate I brushed on will seal the fabric ok and if the color coat turns to cottage cheese, I'll scrape it all off and paint 'er red, LOL...

So far, my cleanup with Simply Green after each engine run, (6 by this time) has the top coat holding. Time will most definatley tell the tale.

I do appreciate the words of caution. I love this forum! I have contributed and so too, have I LEARNED alot.

My Dad is showing up tomorrow AM with his Pentax 8 megapixal digital camera. Hopefully, I'll have nice photos to post tomorrow night!

PM
Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 PM
FokkerAce

Hi, Looks Great. How big is it? Are the plans available?

FA
Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: PointMagu

- - - - -. I do appreciate the words of caution. I love this forum! I have contributed and so too, have I LEARNED alot.

And so have I, I advised you to be careful about extending the nose and suggested you might need a brick in the tail end to balance the model.
Oh was I ever wrong.

Great model and interesting posts. I hope your hand is recovering.

Happy flying,

old git - - - - - aka John L.

P.S. Perhaps I should get back to free flight models.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:53 AM
CliffordH
My Feedback: (9)

PM
Very nice looking Robin! I love the Robin, it is a plane with character. It must be the year for Robins because I just atarted flying a Robin I designed and built several years ago. I got caught in a couple of moves and no engine for it until this summer. I am happy to say it flies good with a G-62.
Cliff

Name:	Li20893.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	692208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51293.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	692209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25484.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	692210  
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: PointMagu

Covering is all done.

I've applied the Polycrylic, sanded and am ready for the final assembly and color topcoats.

Here's what I did this evening:

PM
Looks real good. Did you use the wet/dry sand paper. If so, did you wet sand? What grit?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
PointMagu

Thanks!

Yep, I wet sanded between each coat with 320 and finally with 600. I had to be real careful not to cut through the fabric. It doesn't take much pressure over formers and ribs!

BTW, the Krylon is holding up quite well. I'm now using ammonia and tap water for cleanup. It doesn't leave the filmy residue that Simple Green does.

PM
Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure appreciate the quick response PM. I'm building a 1/4 scale Waco YMF-5.