Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

I have a perfectly good debolt trainer..even have the original box and set of planes..has old veco wheels and a citizenship receiver witha berkley escapment..it was powered with a .o99 engine but my father never flew it..I am thinking I could cover it as it was originally with silk and dope anduse it as a static model or if possible even fly it..beyond that I found plans for a berkley barnstormer and several testor uc models ..and those are hanging in the attic also ..I saw this site and thought somebody could tell me if theres any value beyond sentimentimental childhood memories flying models with my dad..I think this plane is older than me and I am 53..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

The "Live Wire" Plans and Kit that was done by Harold (Hal) De Bolt are circa 1952.

As for the value, I just bought an unopened original kit dated 1953 at auction, it went for $196.00 for my collection.
    They both have good collector value (Kit/Radio) we all had one . . .

If you really want to build one to fly, get the drawing copied $2.50 and then cut your own balsa . . .it's about $28.00 worth of parts.

Save the Kit and radio, or Ebay it to a collector!

[Of course this is all based on the greater fool theory]

BigRagu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

mine is built and never flown the covering was removed sometime ago but I would love to restore it..and maybe thats a good idea to build a replica and fly it .corny as that is as a tribute to my dad's passion for aviation.. thanks..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

I think this would be an admirable project.

The price for the kit reflects the collector price of kits that are basicall unmolested and complete.

In your case the model is worth more to you and your dad than you'd ever get from a collector. By all means recover it in the period silk and fly it.

BUT please save yourself more aggravation than it would be worth and replace the radio with the newer stuff. And while you're at it I'd add elevator and throttle control. No point in being so faithful that it causes a crash due to unfamiliarity with rudder only flying.

The 099 was meant to offer a basic up hill glide sort of flight. Fine for rudder only but you may want to opt for a low priced 15 or even one of the small 4 stroke engines in the 25 size range.

After you've flown it a few times then I'd be tempted to reinstall the old radio stuff as a display only model. If you're still enthused then make the new one.

Or just make the original a display model right off the bat. It sounds like there's a LOT of family history in those old bones after all. Make a new one as the others suggest from a photocopy of the plans and fly that. You could make the color scheme the same for both as a nod to the family history.

And if you could actully get the old radio to operate then it would be a great show and tell item wherever it went. Just don't ever get the idea that it would be OK to actually fly with that stuff any more. These radios were tempermental when they were new. Heaven knows what they would be like now.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

The Vintage R/C Society has a category for models like yours that are built using the techniques of the day or restored to original condition. That would include your engine, radio, method of covering and control hinging (cloth or sewn) as examples.

As far a value is concerned, an original mint in box Midwest Esquire kit sold for $305 on eBay. To answer your question, there is a big collectors market out there.

FMI http://www.vintagercsociety.org
    Mike Denest
    R/C as it used to be: http://www.vintagercsociety.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

Cloudancer 03,

I don't think it is corny at all. In fact I'm considering buying a Livewire Cruiser and building it because my dad and I tried to fly one in 1954 or 1955 when we lived in Camillus, NY. We crashed but I still have bits and pieces still left from that project. They have been moved all over the US but I just can't part with them.

Sam
    Sam
    www.oxai.us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Debolt livewire trainer

Big Ragu : Do the kit collectors have a web site or do they hang out here & E-bay?>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>