Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Enya 45 model 6001, should I keep it?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Enya 45 model 6001, should I keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:41 PM
kmalsom
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 45 model 6001, should I keep it?

A friend gave me a Enya 45 model 6001 engine that his father bought years ago. The father passed away before he ever ran the engine. It was still in the plastic case they used back then. I suspect it is from the mid 1970s. It doesn't look like the engine has ever run from what I can tell. I took the carb off to free it up and added some after run oil to the crankcase. It seems to have good compression but I haven't tried to run the engine yet. I'm trying to deceide if I should keep the engine and install it in a plane or sell it. I've been in the hobby for just a couple of years so I'm more familiar with the newer OS and Thunder Tiger style two strokes. Can someone tell me how will this engines performance and power might compare with a OS .46AX? From what I've read on this forum about other older Enya engines it sounds like using fuel with castor oil is prefered over synthetic. Any feedback will be appreciated! Keith
Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 AM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Enya 45 model 6001, should I keep it?

A great engine lots of tork I still have one that I got in 1973 and it still runs great nice idle good transition for a air bleed carb it had enough power to pull my Goldberg Skylane 62 through an outside loop from level flight with ease it also works well in a pusher aplication by rotating the forward portion of the crankcase 90 degrees so that it will run in reverse also parts come up on ebay quite often and some may still be avaliable from enya also the throttle restricter is not nessasry it idles fine with a regular muffler I use a strap on type

Richard Browning
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 AM
injunnut1

Is this the ball bearing or plain bearing version Enya .45 model 6001?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 AM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 of them
all BB engines good running , not as powerfull as the AX
long break in but will last for years, very long wearing
do not put too restrictive muffler on it very nice with strap on pitts muffler
my 2c
Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 PM
kmalsom
My Feedback: (3)

Injunnut1,
I'm not positive but I think it is the ball bearing version. I'm not shure how to tell for sure without disassembling it. I also got an exhaust pipe setup with it. It's not a muffler like you typically see. It has two black pipes that points toward the rear. There are a bunch of holes on the side toward the end of the pipes for the exhaust to exit. It has a fitting to pressurize the tank. It's a strap on type. If I were to sell the enging I'm curious if It would sell better if it hasn't been run.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had more fun and successful flights with an Enya 45 back in the late 70s and early eighties. Never a dead stick and a great running engine!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll buy an unran engine over a used engine in a heartbeat.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Airboatflyingship

The 45 I and II motors are real troopers if the compression's good and they are kept oiled ...run them on trad Castor glow fuel ..... they are a fine torquey motor..... they were even shown on such monsters as the 114" Privateer/AKA McGoverns monster.