Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

what happened to A &A industries,Bud Nosen kits

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

what happened to A &A industries,Bud Nosen kits

Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what happened to A &A industries,Bud Nosen kits

anyone know what happened to A & A Industries that had the Bud Nosen line?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: what happened to A &A industries,Bud Nosen kits

I have not seen them advertise, or heard from them for years. I suppose they went the way of other kit makers. The ARF industry has all but killed off the good ones. There are still a few kit makers out there, but they are dropping like flies. Try the AMA plan service, and cut your own, or contact one of the commercial kit cutters. Often they have the templates to cut the once popular kits, and most of them can cut kits from the Ziroli plans. It's a shame, the Nosen kits were great flying models. They were true builders kits though. You might take a look at Ikon N'West. They offer some unusual kits.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

anyone know what happened to A & A Industries that had the Bud Nosen line?
I visited the Bud Nosen plant in Two Harbors, MN. a few years ago. They no longer produce any kits. Their primary business now is cutting and suppling bulsa sticks, sheets etc. for the model industry.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct Bob. Friend of mine orders quite a number of wood packages from Bud every few months. He seems to be best on cost as to plywood lately.

If you mention anything about the old kit line, he'll cut you off on the conversation with not wanting to discuss it any further. That's their business.

Wm.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

A&A Industries-I bought several of the Nosen kits from this guy that was reproducing them nd he also had a insurance business in the same location. I can tell you that the dies must have been getting worn because of the die-crunch wood I got in the three planes I got from this guy, but he disappeared
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

You are correct Bob. Friend of mine orders quite a number of wood packages from Bud every few months. He seems to be best on cost as to plywood lately.

If you mention anything about the old kit line, he'll cut you off on the conversation with not wanting to discuss it any further. That's their business.

Wm.
Got an address for Bud, or an e-mail address? I need some wood, and I would rather do business with him, if possible.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
asw
My Feedback: (1)

When I started waaaaay back with rc, bud nosen kits were top of line JUNK! the wood they supplied was just crap. I can see why they didn't last.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, two and a half years after the last post, your number of posts is 1 and that's what you choose to post, amazing.

I guess me experience with Nosen kits was just plain different but I wasn't starting then and all the one's I built were great, the planes were very big for the time, well engineered, flew great and you could not buy the wood seperately for what the kits cost. The wood in all I built was excellent and the value of their kits fantastic.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Trisquire

I used to marvel at the ads back in the day. I once saw the maiden of a Bud Nosen Cessna 310 twin. When those two .60s ran in sync, it was music to your ears. As I recall, the pilot had a hard time getting the plane back down in our small flying field. When he flared for landing, it just floated in ground effect forever. It ended up flying into the tall grass at the end of the runway.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recall someone mentioning that Bud lives and belongs to a club in Florida? I doubt he has anything to do with selling balsa anymore. I have no actual knowledge of that..but I have read so many posts and info on all things Nosen, and I have never seen anything to make me think he was still in the business. In fact I was always under the impression that he got out of it when A&A industries bought in?

As to heavy wood in the kits, I usually here that it was A&A that sent the worst wood, not Bud. Some of those warbirds he designed were so big that even with heavy wood they should fly well with todays motors...

I'll never forget the first time I saw a Nosen P-51........wow, just WOW
Old 04-17-2010, 08:39 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bud is alive and well. He winters in Florida and visits/flies with the Bay City Flyers north of Tampa. Summers are spent in MN. His kids still operate the balsa/plywood business but only sell wholesale.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

well there you go, Who says you can't learn anything hanging out on the pc !
Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 AM
ARUP

I built 3 (or was it 4) Nosen 40 sized Champs. All were great airplanes and the wood was good. Glad I saved the plans for I have fond memories of flying those! I think I have a 1/4 Champ kit. Will have to look...
Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
stumpy_1958

Is there anyone out here that has any blue prints of the Cessna 310 twin?  I have Bud Nosen prints of his P-51/ F4U Corsair/ and Citabria if someone would like to trade print for print. I am interested in building the 310 someday but don't have the blue prints. Thanks for any info possible.
Bill
Old 04-25-2010, 01:47 PM
JWT701

I do not thave the Cessna plans however there is a set beign sold on ebayfro $19.95 (buy it now)...Just search "Bud Nosen", I would be interested in you F4U Corsair plans and instructions if you have them and would like to sell them.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
propjet
My Feedback: (68)

Hi, I have the plans for the Cessna 310, would be interested in a trade for the F4 plans. Need some time to locate the plans, send me your email address.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
gzkpez

I recently bought some balsa from the local art store, the hobby shops are all out of town. The balsa they had was "Bud Nelson". The sticks I selected were not bad.