Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?

I learned to fly in the late 1960's in Lebanon, Indiana. If you learned to fly in the same era, what was your first plane , engine and radio?
I bought a Falcon 56 kit for $16.50 and added ailerons to it. My engine of choice was an ball bearing Enya .29 and the radio was a used Citizen-Ship with the huge push pull and rotary combined servos. (Looked like the Kraft KPS-9 servos) The plane flew great until a full time pilot talked me into flying it without an instructor present. My second plane was another Falcon 56. This time I put a K&B .40 on it. I flew the crap out of that plane. I finally folded the wing. Next I moved on to a Taurus with Super Tigre .61 for power and a new Kraft Series Seventy six channel radio. Beautiful plane and a fabulous radio !
Steve Gibson
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?

Well, I've posted this before but for the record...

At age 14, in 1969 I managed to save enough money for a used Controlaire 5 digital system, c.a. 1966. I bought it from my R/C mentor, Mr. Ernest Bryant
who taught me how to fly previously on his Sterling Royal Coachman (except for the take-off and landing part!)

The Controlaire went into a Lanier Transit three channel ARF - basically the Go-Go without ailerons. Power was a OS Max S35 R/C. no muffler. I learned to take-off and land on this one, before the radio totalled it. My biggest success was with a M.A.N. 2-3-4 kit system built by Mr. Bryant in a Midwest Das Little Stik with an OS 19 WITH a muffler - this is the airplane I became an obnoxious young hot shot flyer with in the summer of 1970.

Some other early models -

Lanier Bronco, Controlaire 5, K & B .45 - destroyed on first flight by radio problems
Henchman, Controlaire 5, Super Tigre .56 - destroyed by radio problems
Lanier Pursuit, M.A.N. 2-3-4, Veco .45 - given to me used, I wore it out!
Dee Bee Alpha, M.A.N. 2-3-4, Veco .45 -destroyed, pilot error
Dee Bee Eyeball, M.A.N. 2-3-4, Super Tigre .46 - destroyed, bad aileron servo
Cherokee Babe, M.A.N. 2-3-4, OS 35 - wore out (more or less)
Royal Coachman, M.A.N. 2-3-4, O.S. 15 - ditto

I've saved the most interesting one for last - anyone remember the Sherlock Models Boeing 727? In 1972 I had the idea I wanted to become an airline pilot, so when I saw a half-finished one in a Sarasota hobby shop I had to have it!

It was huge by the standards of the day - 84" long, span 72", ABS plastic fuselage, foam wings (all of 600 sq. inches) It weighed 12 pounds RTF. A Fox .78 for power, mounted in the nose- a most unreliable engine which was the eventual un-doing of the 727. I had a hard time deciding on the color scheme between National and Eastern, but finally chose EAL, since I liked blue. It was the original 727-100 short fuselage version. It was very scale, the only fudging was a flat
bottom Clark Y airfoil, and the prop in the nose, which vanished (almost) in flight.

The other guys took one look at this thing and decided it was a lawn dart - they couldn't have been more wrong...it flew GREAT, in spite of a wing loading of 45
ounces a square foot. Looped and rolled just like the real thing It met its eventual end when the Fox flamed out after takeoff from a grass field.

Ron Morgan has one he flew often and he still has an unbuilt kit in his stash - I'd love to bring this one to the Mid-South meet. I also had the Sherlock Lear Jet in the late 1970s, but it didn't fly nearly as well as the 727...Russ Farris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26602.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	816438  
Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

My first RC model was in '70in Ontario Canada, an AAMCO A-Ray, OS40, radio was a Canadian assembled Kraft 4 Ch.

Destroyed it on 9th flight, flying with Instructor Tony Van Eck rite beside me, airborne pack failed, really high up, controls went all the way over, each one, engine on high; spiralled in at high speed and strained itself through an old fallen elm tree, I did save the rudder tab, the only piece not totalled. As I remember ni-cad pacs were failing all over the country, and the problem was finally solved by Kraft itself by switching over to the newer 'gel cell' nicads, whatever they were. Dat's all I gots re my #1 RC, best regards from a rarely very damp Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:35 AM
maxpower1954

Hey, Joe I see you also live in Englewood - Punta Gorda is my home town (1962 to 1976) Russ Farris
Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First successfull RC Flight was about 1957

Airco Aero 9 with Babcock Magic Wand/Carpet single channel/escapement system.

This is my replica of that airplane.

Name:	Sq46373.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	816592  
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
skypupmut

first RC plane 1964
Sterling Monocoupe
OS 29 rc
Controlair Mule single chan tx
OS single chan electric rudder actuator cascaded to os electric throttle actuator
later in 66 converted to Rand GG added pulser to Mule tx.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 AM
boberos

Old kit built DeBolt Champ in 1967
O.S. .30 motor with optional O.S. clamshell muffler.
Used Kraft 12 channel reed radio. I used only 8 channels, rudder, elevator, motor, & elevator trim.
Radio was cheap because new digital proportional was everywhere & reeds were obsolete almost overnight.
Plane lasted 13 flights with numerous repairs along the way as there was no one to help with training.

I am now tinkering with galloping ghost after all these years, go figure.

Keep pulsing,
Bob
Old 12-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was a deBolt Cub with an OS .19 and Orbit proportional (Orbitrol) with the PS-1 servos on rudder, elevator and throttle. Flew the pants off of it until I moved on to bigger, faster, higher, etc.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 AM
tri-pacer

The year was 1964 and I was 6. The plane was a Gilbert "Wing Thing". After that is was an all chrome colored Wenmac AT6, followed by a steady stream of Cox U/C planes: Man do I wish I had all those planes now!

This first balsa plane I built was a Comet Cadet, with my dad, sometime in the mid sixtys. The second was another Comet model called the Cloud Buster: Put an .020 on that. I would fill it up, no timer, and let it go. It would circle up, in big lazy circles, and come back down the same way. Never knew anything about trimming or thermals. It always few great and I never lost it. As a matter of fact, I still have a NIB kit stashed somewhere: Perhaps scale up the plans a tad (wing loading), with micro servos and another.020?? Might be fun.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Lets see, soloed on a Stuntman with Pee Wee .020 I believe when I was 7. Flew controline until I was about 9 then Dad gave me an old Jr Falcon Cox .049 Golden Bee, with Controlaire Mule, superregen receiver and Citizen-ship escapement. Flew it at the ball park about ¾ miles away. Tied it to my bicycle!! I guest it was in the early to mid 60’s. Later Dad got me a Testors Simpluse system with rudder only and 2 added throttle buttons running a rand actuator. I built and covered a Little Esquire and added a OS Max .10 flew it a gazillion times with Dad and his early proportional stuff. Then flew an old Controlaire reed system in a Mambo Special and K&B .35. Finally Dad surprised me with a Royal Classic 4 channel system with 3 servos. On Christmas that year got the 4th servo. Thought I was hot stuff with my Lanier Pursuit!! I was 12 then!!! Check out the photo!!

Have collect all the above again and have all in flying condition. Have plans to put all back in the air again to see if I can still fly them!!! Currently flying a Mule and escapment unit in a DQA, 4 single channel pulsers, the Royal Classic (Thanks Boberas) and a few more old units. The Testors Simpluse is schedules for the Little Esquire and OS .10 on the shelf as soon as I have time!!

Boy was that a long time ago!

Bob Harris

Name:	Om33419.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	816898  
Old 12-02-2007, 04:14 PM
sscherin

My first was a free flight Guillows Piper Cherokee with a Cox .020 pee wee.. That lasted about 30 seconds or so.

What it did do was introduce me to my neighbor Harland Carlson.
I used to hang out in his garage while he built his planes and told storied about him time in WWII or working as a lineman.
One day he sent me home with a set of plans for a Sterling fledgling, a finished wing and an OS Max-S 35 motor.

That was the plane that got me started in RC. It survived well past my solo.. Later we put an OS FS-40 4 stroke on it..
That motor is on my step sons Eagle today. I flew it with a Futaba 4ch FG gold box.

My 2nd was a Falcon 56 with a OS .45 FSR.. It died an untimely death in a rather fast vertical fashion about 6 months later.
I had a Futaba 7ch FG gold box for that one.

The Fledgling made it about 2 years but an in flight failure of the wing mounting block (fuel soaked glue joint failed) left it a lawn dart without a wing.

I still have the Fledgling wing, plans and the OS .35. I'd hoped someday I could pass it on but I'm afraid Arf's may have spoiled that dream.

The Futaba's are still here too but I get funny looks at the field when I fly with them so I keep them around for slope gliders.

As for the Pics..

Me with the Fledgling and Falcon in 1985.. OK the planes are not vintage but the design is.
My Instructor Lynn Cook and I in 85.. No buddy box so it's sometime after I soloed
Last pic, the Fledgling on Takeoff..

Name:	Qo41453.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	817015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75544.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	817016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55871.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	817017  
Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

60's? How about a McCoy 35 powered Comet Rookie in 1959 when I was 5? It got ahead of me after a few laps and I piled it in due to PIO. Build a few stick models starting around then too, but really got going in CL flying when I was 10. Built a Sterling Mambo when I was 13 for RC, but never got the transmitter so Dad talked me into flying it free flight. Two flights later, I retired it and it's still in the basement. Kept flying CL until my Falcon 56 that I built in '70 with 3 channels of a new Orbit that I bought. The Falcon was real easy to fly, I landed it on it's first flight and solo'ed on the third.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

First plane was a TriSquire with ST 23 and Heathkit GD19 5-channel. Second plane was a CG Skylane 62 with Enya 45 (no muffler in those days. Ouch!), same radio. Then I flew a sctrach built version of a Das Little Stik. Those were fun days.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread......it takes me back to when modeling was really fun and every step was an adventure. My first model was a Gilbert control line sorta Gee Bee. All plastic of course with a Gilbert .11 engine (I still have it). I remember it was red and white and had the "7" and " dice" stickers on it. I was about 10 years old and it was in the mid sixties. I was scared to death of the engine and my Uncle helped me take it to the school yard to fly it. We actually got several successful flights before the inevitable happened...and little did I know the path it would lead me down over the next 40 years! I wasn't able to scrape together enough money to get into RC until 1969 when I bought an OS 2 channel radio and put it in a large foam powered glider. I taught myself how to fly it and managed to do so without destroying it.....although there were some tense moments. In 1970 I bought out a guy that had a Lanier Dart with a K&B .40 and a MRC F-700 radio. I thought there would never be anything more advanced than this set up, and I had arrived on the scene big time. I then went through a precession of Little Stiks....must have built 4 or 5 and really had a blast with them.

Then came girls ( should have left them alone), college and working for a living..... but I still manage to do a little flying.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 AM
kojak41

[8D]1955, Kenhi Buzz'rd Fox 19 no throttle. Citizenship single channel radio (piece of crap). Simple escapement first left then right. Got plans from John Pond's service and hope to build one this winter. Will use modern engine and radio equipment.. Can't decide if I want to use the original 7 spar wing construction which would make installing ailerons almost impossible or using a more modern wing structure.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Stickbuilder

Middle 50's, I had been building Strombecker, Comet and Megow models for 5 or 6 years. First R/C model was a converted Free Flight model. Brooklyn Dodger from a Cleveland kit. I think it had a Cameron engine (probably an .09) for power. Charley C/G radio system (escapement Rudder only). Took all morning to set up, and maybe you would get 2 flights in. Burgess Battery Company stock must have gone through the roof every time someone went to fly a Radio Controlled model.

A few years ago, I built another Brooklyn Dodger, and made a gift to an old friend (Percy Hallock). Percy used to do a lot of the builds for M.A.N., back in the 50's and 60's. Great model airplane friend.

Tip of the hat to Frank Schwartz, without his help, I would never have made it. Frank's Dad owned a clothing store in the most upscale area in Nashville. Frank was a young man who didn't look down his nose at a kid with a model airplane. Many times, I would take a problem to him, and he would take the plane to the back room of his Dad's store, and work on the problem until he had corrected it. Business be damned.

Another tip of the hat to the Late, Roy Dorris. Took me under his wing, and taught me how to build straight model airplanes. Roy was a great Control Line flyer. I still have the Torpedo .23 Green head that he gave me, New and in the box.

These guys and tons of others just like them, have given more back to the hobby than they ever took from the hobby.

By the 60's proportional radio systems were becoming fairly common, and the reed systems were all but gone. You guys that are starting out today, and are taking the radio systems for granted, don't begin to appreciate what went on in the early days. Those of us who were around back then, can't imagine the ease of getting into the hobby that is available to all today. What a great time to be alive, and enjoying the most wonderful hobby in the world.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 AM
wilddog

First was a DeBolt Cub, OS 15, Babcock single channel, rudder only with a Bonner escapment. Had a few semi-uncontroled flights before crashing. Also remember a Berkly Impluse, crashed on first flight; Ambroid Charger Min-X single channel on pulse, flew away; DeBolt Ercoupe with escapment and 049, crashed first flight; Pronto built from MAN plans with Veco 19 and pulse, flew a couple times before crash; Jerry Nelson Primer, Enya 60, PCS, crashed; Whisler from AM plans, 60, PCS , crashed; another DeBolt Cub with PCS, flew a very few times before the crash; Top Flight Headmaster, os 15 , WE Expert, flew many times and repaired many times, Eyeball, Enya 60, Expert, crashed- bad servo; Andrews Sportmaster, Enya 60, Kraft SS, flew a lot and well. Many others I can't remember. My parents must have thought I was crazy, saved all my money for airplanes, spend all that time building and then crashed. But I eventaully got the hang of it and it kept me out of serious trouble. Built a lot of Comet rubber band kits and a few gliders too.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Prairie Mike

What a great Thread! My 1st flight (dont know if you can call it successful) was with a Bonner single channel gas tube reciever in a DeBolt Live Wire Trainer. Nobody told me you were supposed to use more than one rubber band to hold the wing on...You guessed it..... Launched that puppy, it climbed straight out and just about the time I was gonna start a turn, off came the wing and the rest of it turned into a lawn dart. Had an Enya .19 (unthrottled-U control) engine on it.

Then I bought a Tauri with a Veco .19, with Citizenship reed radio. Non simultaneous controls, yet I was able to do cross wind landings (but it was REALLY busy) and Cuban Eights. Lots of fun it those days. It was right at the height of the reed sytems, the 1st anilog proportionals, and the early digital systems. The digitals won out. But there were lots of radio manufactures, although the prices were a lot higher than they are now. I even had a set of Citizenship servos which had a mechanical expo feature.
Ah the memories..............................
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
HighPlains

servos which had a mechanical expo feature
Do you mean servos with a linear rack output?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
dicknadine

guess that I don't qualify, since my first models were back in the middle 1930's, when rubber band power and tissue paper was the only thing around. the only thing that has changed is the advent of radio control. but it taught me what glue, paper and balsa could do. . today's activity, at 83 years young, are all scratch design and build from 3'' 3 views to 80'' R/C. its still a SUPER hobby. dick

Name:	Ki18421.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	817722  
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
quepasa

This is GREAT!
My 1st was a Graupner Chico. A .10 powered shoulder winged pylon racer. I decided it didn't need ailerons as rudder & elevator planes were easy to fly so I was told. About all that worked the way I expected was the throttle and that OS-FSR-.10! FAST don't describe this little plane. It flew about 100' in about 3 seconds and ground itself up on an asphalt runway in W. Germany. This was about when I was becoming real intrested in what an aileron was, and what a lack of dihedral meant. The .10 went into a "bashed" Graupner "Dandy" sail-plane with welding rod landing gear and wooden wheels cut out of 1/4" ply with a holesaw in the motor-pool. Radio was a Hobby-Shack Cirrus 3-channel. Ya'll don't even wanna hear how I got thrown in a German jail for tieing a rope to a German pine tree, and trying to shake that glider loose with the other end of that rope tied to the front bumper of a SIMCA. Those folks have no sence of humor! Those were the days gentlemen! That was about 1977 so I guess I don't qualify either.[&o] Thanks for a great thread!
Q.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Not really in the sixties but in 70/72 had an H-Ray with a Blue Max radio and Tigre 23, flew great. Then dabbled with a few used things; had a consolidated Spirit with OS25 and an Aero 7 with Enya 15. First new airplane was in 1973 Midwest foam Cardinal with Cox 15 sportsman and Cirrus 3 channel. Had lots of fun with those little old planes. We were 13 -16 years old back then and flew all year. Getting back to some of those oldies and maybe get some of the "fun of our youth" back. I may have some pics around and I'll see if I can scan and post later.

Peace

Mark O

Here is a scan of the Aero 7 with Enya 15. After Ron Chidgey and all his buds won the nats with single sticks we found the MRC 724 because you would have to sell 1 Zillion papers to buy a Pro-Line SS. Right back to Mode 2 after this one.

Name:	If10742.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	817966  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

Neat thread,
About '55 I was 15 won this "Spirit" at a C/L contest.
McCoy .19 powered the 50ish inch W/S single channel "PIXIE"
Still have the wing and my friend Joe Nagy supplied me with the plans
which are still on the shelf, but one day !
If I had 2 hours flight time it had 3-400 hours ! Ole McCoy nowdays takes
good shot of oil first to get her started !
F U N ... Fun... worked midnights, off work at 7A and to the park until
the winds got too strong. Couple times a week maybe more !!
Don - Basehor, Ks
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really enjoying this thread. Mine was a TF Schoolboy w Pee Wee 020, no name single channel escapement from AHC. Flew well but radio failed after the first flight. Years later I bought a Schoolmaster, Cox 049 and flew it two channel proportional from an Ace kit with rudder and a through-the-backplate throttle. Later added an elevator servo - flew that plane for years. People who don't teach themselves to fly don't know what they're missing. Jim
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built a Sterling Mambo in HS around '66. Set it up for Escapement, never flew it. As a freshman in College fall of '67, bought an MRC proportional and made it R-E-M. That's what I learned on. Second plane was an H-ray, then a Taurus, Banshee, then my own designs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.