Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old Time Powerhouse

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM
njrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Time Powerhouse

I have just built the 84 inch Powerhouse and am interested on it's history.
Does anyone have any information on the 1939 84 inch Powerhouse free flight model. I am looking for some history. It was designed by Sal Taibi and kitted by Chanbian Model Airplane Company.
Thank you
[email protected]
Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Old Time Powerhouse

It was Sal's first of many, many great FF designs, from memory this one was designed and built when he was just 17. Original used a Forster .99 ignition engine.

Some of Sal's other famous designs were the Brooklyn Dodger, Pacer, and Hornet pre-war and the Spacer and the legendary Starduster series post war.

Sal had moved from NYC to California back in the 40's and last I knew was still (at 80+ years old!) an active FF competitor in SAM events. He always drove a beautiful 56 Chevy pulling a small trailer to contests as far away as in Florida, I know for a fact he did in 2000 as I was RC CD at the SAM Champs that year.

The Powerhouse makes a wonderful RC model as well, built light it has a beautiful, floating glide.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:56 PM
njrcflyer

Thank you for the detailed responce.
Joe
Old 09-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Dsegal

Go to the AMA website at http://www.modelaircraft.org/ , click on Member Services and then click on Hall of Fame Members for Taibi's bio. The Powerhouse was designed in 1938 and published as a plan in Model Airplane News in 1940.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Chad H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the "Plan Page"website............http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/21...m..........and here`s a pic of Sal holding the Powerhouse on the front of a 70`s issue of M.A.N. Although nothing in that issue on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87765.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	823195