Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Restoring an old Great Lakes 2T-1A biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Restoring an old Great Lakes 2T-1A biplane

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I will say I was crazy fussy on those joints. Exactly matching the curves (even though only 1/4" long). I bet I was only off a couple three thou. Once I had glue on the ribs I had to work 'em in.
There are tight joints.

Maybe I just wont worry about them next time

ken
Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 PM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Isn't it ironic we want our airplane joints tight and our finger joints loose so we can make the tight joints?
Finger joints, Man there are time I wish I did not have any darn finger joints.

Ken
Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say your good to go buddy. Finish her up and fly it.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:43 PM
flyingagin

It will be some time before I can resume building again
The story of this year is homelessness.
once again we are packing EVERYTHING up and putting it in storage.
Even though my Social Security Disability has been approved it will be several months till the check is in the mail so to speak. I got it on only the second appeal.
And where we were staying the lady is a diagnose paranoid schizophrenia. She has gone around the bend, and it is now to dangerous to stay there at night. So we had a choice of some friends living room or sleep in the car at wally world. We choice our friends. We will only be there till we are 100% packed and stored. And then we will head about 3-4 hours north of here to wait for the payments to start. Then we will figure what we can afford and where we go.
So obviously all building is on hold.
Last Wednesday I did fly (twice) my little CL plane. Had issues with the dizzies, but it has a throttle via 2.4 rx so I landed. Had fun.

So sorry guys. This is not the kind of post you want to read. But it is why the inactivity again.
Eventually I will be able to work on this plane again. Be nice to fly it next. But I don't know. I don't have a clue about future living conditionss. But ya know I have built and worked on the kitchen table with the wifes blessings, So build will happen again.

Ken

Again my apologies for a downer post, but I thought some of you would like to know. AND WE ARE SAFE.
We sure covet your prayers.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to fret, my friend - we're all here with you. Prayers & hopes will follow you whereever you go, but you already know that.

Still tabulating the local Ringmaster flyathon numbers & details for the records. 9 fliers were here this year on 2 VERY windy days. Of the 13 RM's present, 2 were lost due to wind (but one MIGHT be recoverable/rebuildable). Something in the order of 160 flights over 2 days.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 AM
flyingagin

Thanks Dave.
Wednesday The wife and I took my little CL trainer out for 2 flights. I had modified the Bell Crank to eliminate ALL wobble and double the elevator area. The mods were very successful, I haded 1/2 ounce of nose wight and had nice stable plane. Got the dizzies and had to throttle down to land both times. I had fun.

The break let us clear our heads and decide that we had no choice but to sleep elsewhere.
And Saturday we went to the local RM flython at George Bush park, about an hour drive. Met a fair number of guys I know from B.HO.T.R. I did not fly but sure enjoyed my time.
Then we left and started packing.

Ken
Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Hang in there Ken! This too shall pass, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

Mike
Old 10-06-2014, 01:29 PM
flyingagin

Yes I know Mike, and you know where my trust is. Just one heck of a bumpy road this year, and them bumps hurt. The bump where the church we attended would not help with young bodies hurt. Notice ATTENDED.
I cleared the attic space over the house proper of all of our stuff. That is where the bulk of my fleet of planes, extra wings, or other plane body parts was stashed. So lots of books some other stuff to pack. And then shop stuff and plane stuff to pack.

I asked the young guys across the street if they would help with some heavy lifting. NO HESITATION. Interesting contrast I think.

We will get 'er done

Ken
Old 10-10-2014, 04:53 PM
flyingagin

Update on our plans
We were going to go to Leavenworth, Kansas for a soft landing at my wifes daughter. We can mare than easily pay our own freight wherever we end up at. And more than fairly reimbursed. And will in a few months get out own our own.

We are not welcome or wanted there.

Wife is understandably heart broken.

I told her We have fought and done every thing we can to stay out of California. But it is the only door that God has not closed in our face at near the last minute. So we are going. My rather elderly mother is in Modesto, CA. And never wanted us to leave Ca. Has asked us constantly to come live with her. So we have a soft landing pad there.

My wife asked could we make it on the money we have. My rough calcs at the time suggested we might make it. But I told her we are going on faith.
I then that evening was able to research it better and was more confident.
I since determined we will have money come in in the middle of our trip, and the moving van was a lot cheaper than I first thought.
I am certain we will have the funds for the trip.

My driving is going be a matter of prayer and gutting thru the pain that causes with out medicating it. With frequent stops, and walking the dog, short legs, and limited hours I can do it. I will do it. GOD BLESS THE WONDERFUL MAN THAT INVENTED CRUISE CONTROL. That is the thing that is going to make a whopping difference.

There is a 2 car garage there.

I hope sometime in November, December to resume building

We covet your prayers. We plan to leave Oct. 19 and stop half way between Houston, Tx and Clovis NM I have a good friend from the BHOTR site there So that will make a good visit and night stop. That also starts with 2 short legs so I can test myself.

So I will pick the thread back up in a month or 2.

Ken
Old 10-12-2014, 06:11 AM
skylark-flier

Go with God, my friend. We'll be here when you're ready to resume.

And I totally, TOTALLY agree - would love to meet the guy that invented cruise control. Just got back, last night, from my very first organized fly-in with VR/CS (or any other club/organization) in Oxford PA and cruise control was the order of the day, and what saved my ankle so I can semi-walk today.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:33 AM
flyingagin

We have decided that is where we are needed. And just like Jonah, we are going like it or not. It is much best if we decide to like it. Less fishy.

Ken
Old 10-14-2014, 08:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ken, if you're a little tight we could pass the hat if it will help?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
flyingagin

I have another $300 coming before we leave if it gets here in time. It is in the mail today.

I think I good if I have estimated gas burn right. If the $300 gets here time I am sure I am good. I should know by friday.

Thanks Mike a bunch.

Ken
Old 01-11-2015, 02:36 PM
flyingagin

I have not revisited this thread for rather some time now.
Most know from my postings on other threads what our status is.
We did safely arrive in Modesto In late October, Are are presently at my mothers. Not ideal by any means, but it works for now.
I have claimed a small section of the garage for my building desk and bench top tools. I have a propane heater that brings these winter temps up to about 70 in the garage.
Trying to get to the point where I can get some stick time. I have had maybe 10 minutes total in the last five years. So I had built a very basic trainer to get time on. Got here and stated looking at it and found the wings to be impossibly warped. Making a new wing for it. A bit of a different wing than the usual trainer wing. Adding plug in polyhedral tip panels to it (aka training wheels) to make it even more stable and slower. Here is the plane before the twisted wings.
And here is the training wheels wing

As soon as I can I will head south of Fresno to the site that Dave aka Cub Flyer Fresno flys at. Get a little retraining by him till I get some of my skill and confidence back.
I have not yet touched the GL or even my little CL bi plane. But they are in the garage sitting up high on a upright freezer, nice and safe.
They will be tackled as soon as I am done with this trainer.

Should be able to resume work on them soon, like in a week or 2.

So today I ran across some scans from RCM on this thread.
Great Lakes Special #1053
GREAT LAKES SPECIAL
pl-1053
Whitehead, Gordon E.
47" span (T) 42-1/2 (B)
4 ch.

A 1950s round engined GL.
Here are the scans of the GL
Any thoughts as to converting to the 1950s round engined version? The wife sure likes it.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2248.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2063098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150107_165145088.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2063099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150107_165040733.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2063100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Lakes Special RCM 1053 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	820.3 KB
ID:	2063103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Lakes Special RCM 1053 2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	616.8 KB
ID:	2063104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Lakes Special RCM 1053 3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	2063105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Lakes Special RCM 1053 4.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	2063106  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
skylark-flier

Wouldn't take a whole lot - expand the front of the fuse from the cockpits forward and add the round cowl.

Now, flying would be another matter entirely. There's already a HUGE amount of drag on the GL, that round cowl would make it worse. Under NO circumstances would I want to have to deadstick something like that.

BTW, welcome back to the world of balsa dust.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:47 PM
flyingagin

Hi Dave. Like the new avatar. The planes are great.
Yeah building a little bit is really good and makes Ken a more tolerable guy.
Yeah got to be draggier.

Ken
Old 01-12-2015, 12:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

Dave, I love the new avatar however; with airplanes that big you must be compensating for something! What is it, macular degeneration, poor eyesight, lousy peripheral vision, or as in my case, blind as a bat?

Mike
Old 01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
flyingagin

We look at the avatar and see pretty planes. Not Dave That is a good thing

Ken
Heck why do ya think my avatar has a pretty plane?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Dave, I love the new avatar however; with airplanes that big you must be compensating for something! What is it, macular degeneration, poor eyesight, lousy peripheral vision, or as in my case, blind as a bat?

Mike
Naw, nothing like that stuff - just like to build and fly "big wings" once in awhile. Right now I've got 3 of 'em in the air, the BoT & Spirit-100 in the avatar and my Butterfly. Soon, they'll be joined by the Super Monterey. That'll be 3 100" wings and a 118".

My wife makes jokes about my eyelashes, memory and other things all being the same size.

Truth be told, I really just like to miniaturize some of my pics once in awhile and change avatars as the whim hits me.

Last edited by skylark-flier; 01-20-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Variety is the spice of life except where the wife is concerned and then you don't want that much spice! Ever!