Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

TopFlite (Platt) red box P51

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

TopFlite (Platt) red box P51

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TopFlite (Platt) red box P51

I have a red box TopFlite P51 ki,t and notice that the fuesaluge sides as supplied in the kit are rock hard, very heavy, balsa. Can I safely replace these with lighter balsa? Or is this heavy balsa needed for strength.

thanks
Richard Browning
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TopFlite (Platt) red box P51

I would not hesitate to replace the heavy stuff with better wood. By the way, I love your 1/2a skylane pic.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:51 PM
tweedy

Thanks Skylane42

It's funny, when I was a kid, I was a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg NC. We had a great club (The Fort Bragg Model Airplane Club),the Army gave us a clubhouse to use for our meetings, a craft shop to buy kits, motors, and radios, at large discounts, and lots of work benches to build them on, and a very nice paved flying field. All open to both military and civilians except the craft shop. My first project there was a Skylane 62 my first multi channel model and that became my nickname to all the club members I was known as (Skylane)

Richard Browning (Skylane)

Old 02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Hi, Tweedy. Did you happen to know my late father-in-law Wilburn Stutler from West Virginia...he was 82nd Airborne (his brother was 101st Airborne)? Course, that could have been before your tour..he was WW II. He ALWAYS spoke proudly of the 82nd! Just wondering.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM
tweedy

When I was In it was early 1970s , we still had a few WWII guys left, My "Battalion Commander" and "Command Sargent Major" were both WWII guys, The Division at that time was about 10,000 strong and much larger than that in WWII, I did not know him but everybody that spent time in the 82nd is proud of the experience.

Richard

Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Hi, tweedy. Thanks for the get-back. Sounds like you were in good company there. Wilburn was a fine man and I was glad to sit back and think about him for a bit. Safe landings and Happy Building!