Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

A suitable covering method?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

A suitable covering method?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 AM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A suitable covering method?

Guys,

I have posted this in the waterplane section as well, but I was hoping that the wealth of modeling experience that the vintag crew have could aid me better . . .

Lazybee water plane -

I have got a plan and was considering building a lazy bee as a float plane, I really would like to replicate the covering scheme. Can any one offer any advice with regards to getting the black schollops on the yellow covering? I guess I can tissue and dope it then spray it yellow then mask it once more for the schollops. Solar film yellow is an option for the actual main covering but solarfilm on solarfilm for the schollops in any great expanses can cause air bubbles and then with fact that it may get covered in water on occasion could cause it to lift. Solar trim does not go around corners nicely at all and solartex is heavy on a model this size?

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21861.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	934476  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Zv66827.jpg (684.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A suitable covering method?

I would use SolarTex vintage yellow, then spray paint the black

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/
Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 AM
siddus74

WEDJ,

Thanks for the advice, is the solarfilm vintage yellow transparent (see through) like the pictures?

Siddus74
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
WEDJ

Sort of. I used it on my Perigee wings. See post 201 on pg 9:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6590239/tm.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM
siddus74

WEDJ,

Nice wings, not my type of model but a good build thread, sorry about the issue you had with the primer . . . bummer - quite worried actually as I am about to use wing skinning epoxy and glass cloth on my canadair water bomber hull with the view to using high build primer then sand and paint! What do you think the problem was?

Oh the white part of the wings, is that sprayed enamel then? what about the lip / join of the paint on the film, do you spray a sealer to seal them both?

Siddus74
Old 04-23-2008, 06:05 AM
WEDJ

I think my problem was laquer over epoxy primer.

The paint is Klass Cote epoxy. Works just like the old K&B SuperPoxy I used to use. When I masked the open areas, I did paint clear over the taped edge, no bleeding visible. After all color is applied, I will sand the paint line edges w/ 400 wet, then shoot a coat of clear over everything.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:16 AM
braddock VC

If you haven't done it yet, use world models lightex, comes in cub yellow and black v.v.v.light, btw did I say it was light? Make a card pattern for the scollops from an old EMPTY corn flake box, mark it out on the black lightex with a lightcoloured highlight pen and just cut inside with a good pair of scissors.
Have your iron so its JUST uncomfortable to touch it and stick the edges down then seal it with the iron at the temp it tells you in the instructions.
Finally seal the edges with some fuel proofer to keep em down. HTH. BTW cover the wing in the yellow first