Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

COMET Goldberg Sailplane kit

Fishing for info. Have found a new in the box Sailplane kit priced $6.75 on the lid . Wondering what would be a fair price to offer for it . The banana oil & glue are still liquid in the cans . All else is very nice except the decal is missing , the plans have a couple of tears & the box top is dirty . Thanks , MAX H.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: COMET Goldberg Sailplane kit

I'll give you $7.00 for it, Max.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$7.25 here!!
    AMA 57750 Waco Brotherhood #114
    Nosen Cessna 310 Club #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry guys but I out bid you . I just gave $30.00 for it , next stop eBay . Max H.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Max,

Collector kits are kind of a funny animal: You really never know what you'll get, though the Sailplane should fetch a good price. As far as what to start at, here's what "New" Sailplanes cost: The Midway Model Co. sells a partial kit for $139 and a full kit for $199. Bob Holman offers a laser cut shot kit for $80.00. But remember, the people who are after your kit won't build it, so there is a difference. Hope this gives you some direction!

Chuck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just mark up the SHIPPING[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't know how true it is, but I've read that Comet actually lost money on every Sailplane kit they sold. Even the list price was beyond the means of most modelers at the time, but the attention a beautiful "flagship" type model brought to Comet increased the sales of the more affordable kits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The real sad thing here, IMHO, is that Max found a great antique CG Sailplane and, instead of building it....the dust is rising on the trail towards evil bay. It's all about money.... Many of us old timers would be in hog heaven to have found such a treasure. But..what do I know anyhow...

Soft landings. Joe
    AMA 57750 Waco Brotherhood #114
    Nosen Cessna 310 Club #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's an old ad from 1941. We built lots of Sailplanes at this $5.95 price. Zippers were $4.95, and Interceptors were $3.95.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fc90167.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	999487  
    Jim Messer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm of two minds when it comes to building old kits. On the one hand they were made to be built and flown, but on the other, once they're built they're gone.
    From what I've seen of kits from that era they weren't really very good anyway. The wood tends to be hard and heavy and the die-cutting pretty bad. I have a set of ribs from one of my dad's sailplane kits, and a set from a Zipper, too, that they used as patterns to cut their own from better wood. Aside from the die cut parts they're just a bundle of sticks.
    Maybe the best course it to keep the old kits on the shelf and build from a short kit from Klarich or one of the other modern cutters.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

I'm of two minds when it comes to building old kits. On the one hand they were made to be built and flown, but on the other, once they're built they're gone.
    From what I've seen of kits from that era they weren't really very good anyway. The wood tends to be hard and heavy and the die-cutting pretty bad. I have a set of ribs from one of my dad's sailplane kits, and a set from a Zipper, too, that they used as patterns to cut their own from better wood. Aside from the die cut parts they're just a bundle of sticks.
    Maybe the best course it to keep the old kits on the shelf and build from a short kit from Klarich or one of the other modern cutters.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. A model of the same plane built will get lots of looks but little buying interest.

Too bad the decal is missing from this one. It is really cool and quite colorful!

Robert
    Roll Tide! FINAL:
    Alabama beats Texas 37-21 for 2010 BCS national championship! Go Bama!
    Alabama number one!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I heard one time that Carl Goldberg was the inventor of the dethermalizer for free fright. I noticed that it is not mentioned on this design.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good Morning troops . If interested look at eBay item # 250278554709 & see what the old kit looks like . Have another one on there also just click on sellers other items . Forgot to take a picture of the two balsa wheel halves. I have one of these all restored but unflown ,didn't think I needed two of them . Enjoy , MAX H. AMA 14958