Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Parasol Plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasol Plane

here is the latest project. another Roy Clough desighn. Parasol Plane. replaces the Bleriot 111, circle wing, which got too big. running out of display room and the car not big enough for the giants. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61820.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1016766  
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Sir Crashalot

Default RE: Parasol Plane

Dick

What’s the wing span going to be on this one? Or should I once again say diameter! Should be easier on the fingers than the Bleriot. What’s going to be your choice for power?

Should be interesting!

Bob J.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
dicknadine

wing is 31"dia. have 2 layers of 1/32 done, 3/4 of the circumference. 4 more layers to go, then add the ribs and cross braceing. should be strong enough. fuselage 34" long. haven't drawn the tail yet. had a super Cat fish Po Boy, topped of with big pile, 1/2 dozen boiled Blue carbs for supper, at local fresh fish market. Daughter Penny and son-in-law Eddy surprised us as we were eating. they sat down and each of them devoured a 1/2 dozen of the blue crabs and a shrimp Po Boy. they sure enjoy eating. Eddie is only about 290 pounds and trying to reduce a bit. now 10:55 pm and time for some sleep. more modeling after church tomorrow. have a good flying day tomorrow. dick

Name:	Jh14841.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1017882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42252.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1017883  
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

wing is 31"dia. have 2 layers of 1/32 done, 3/4 of the circumference. 4 more layers to go, - - - - -
Hi Dick,

I see this "ring" is being made in a manner similar to the usual for wing-tips and not the rolled - laminated ring as with the RINGER.

I hope you remember the orientation of leading edge LOL.

I was so pleased to get the drawings for the Parasol Wing and set to copying it into my Roy L Clough database. My memory is totally shot, I found I had it there already.

Memory is not the only thing failing, as well as the "Disabled Parking Badge" I am now looking at electric power for personal transport - a scooter!

old git - - - -aka John L.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM
LittleRock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dicknadine,
LA is next door to AR. Are you a SMALL attendee? Building these designs you should be. This is your official invitation.

Steve Staples
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
dicknadine

I sure screwed up yesterday. got in the usual hurry and built a good looking fuselage, except its not to the plan. the plan calls for a triangle fuselage and mine is square. so now, its tear apart and start all over or leave as is and say - who cares ?. ME. decesion is to do per 8 1/2" x 8" plans. only thing lost is about 4 hours, some 1/4 sticks and a ounce of CA. SO Lesson Learned - SLOW DOWN and read the plans. Dick

Name:	Jh15063.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1019911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32215.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1019912  
Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 PM
dicknadine

Yes and here is today's status on the fuselage, thumb was just too heavy. it's repairable as soon as my order of more CA shows up. waited too long to reorder. gives me time to look for the next project, while we wait for contiueing updates on Hurricane Gustaf, out in the Gulf, heading our way this week end. Yes, I bit my tongue more than once. dick

Name:	Vt56080.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1020119  
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Sir Crashalot

Dick

Thanks for the update! Watching this one closely. Sorry you’re having some problems with that fuselage. Hopefully the rest will go better.

As for your next project, maybe you might be interested in another one of Roy Clough’s designs. The Slat Wing. Looks cool, and would look good next to the Parasol.

Name:	Ca83064.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1020143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55760.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1020144  
Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
dicknadine

still waiting for more CA to show up for the rebuild project. do you have 3 vu's of the Slat wing? any size will do, as I can enlarge to my size. it's another one that I havn't seen before. dick
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick, you may want to see this regarding the Slat:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4914605

I also found this on Smallnet dated jun 2001:
"Slat Wing information found! Believe it or not, it came from Roy L. Clough Jr., the gentleman who had designed this model in the first place!! Roy is the most helpful guy I have met in a very long time. He took extra care; located the original published article: photocopied all of the pages, and mailed them to me.

Roy agreed that I could forward the package to others who may be interested. I have three ole buddies who had Slat Wings earlier, so you guessed it.

Harold Hodgson "

I could have sworn that I have the article and plans scanned for this plane but cannot find it yet.

Have you heard of the Tumblewing or Aaunty Allouette by roy Clough Jr.? I have pdf files on them.

Robert
Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM
build light

Addendum!

See here:
http://www.winggrid.ch/

And here:
http://www.winggrid.ch/Whatdoesit.html

For more explanation of the slats!

And I found thw pdf of the slat wing and more!

Robert
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
dicknadine

thanks for the good word. can you post 3 vu's of the 2 new ones that you mentioned ? I up scale without any problem. need to order more balsa anyhow. did order last week and negelected to get all the sizes that I needed. am useing National Balsa since the Lone Star fire, wee bit more expensive but available and good grade so far. couple of the fellows locally are trying ripping Rd Ceder. have you heard of anyone else useing it ? not too much assy going on, waited too long to reorder CA, now have 2, 8 oz bottles plus small 2 oz empty bottles and caps, due in tomorrow or next day. spent the day rideing with son in law, makeing deliveries to stores in New Orleans and Manderville area. of course we stopped in one of his favorite sandwich shops, big Oyster PO Boys, sure good and filling. we have everything battoned down waiting Hurricane Gustave, swarming around in the Gulf. they havn't been able to pin its final path down yet. we had planned on going back to Bay St. Louis, Ms. for the weekend but now cancelled. our lot is still there and they say that the grass is getting pretty high, so have get the grass cutter on the ball and get the hay cut down. our current location is due North of New Orleans, NE of Baton Rouge, La. little town of Greensburg. Nadine just reminded me that its past our bedtime again. so until later. dick
Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 PM
build light

No 3 vus Dick. Just the complete article and plans in pdf format. Can email them to ya if you want.
By the way I was born in New Orleans and my sister lived in bay St. Louis until Katrina blew through... I miss New Orleans and last time I was there made sure I went to the French market and had some Cafe Olee and beignets!

I too mourn the loss of Lone Star Balsa as they were my single supplier of balsa till now. They will be missed...

Robert
Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM
dicknadine

tonights version of the 31"dia Ring wing, structure complete. plenty ridget / stiff @ 7 oz. new stash of CA 16 oz arrived today, so can proceed to rebuild the fuselage crash. dick

Name:	Qo40413.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1021408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92847.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1021409  
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 AM
old git

Hi Dick,

Good to see the "Frisbee" is making progress. Perhaps it should have been covered before you flew it LOL. I have a number of battered skeletons waiting vainly for tender loving care that will never come. Keep it up for those of us who like someone else to do the building!

You are having plenty of effect on the watchers, I had an eMail from Sir Crashalot with some Roy L Clough designs I had not managed to get before. I also followed a set of links given for the "Venetian Blind" principle, very interesting.

I really fancy the "Flettner" style wings, I think you made something similar, the wings rotate around a pivot so they spin like a sheet of balsa when you drop it.

I just bought some Cox spinners for my .049 Cox engines so I can use a dedicated 1/2A starter, I don't dare risk my arthritic fingers.

old git - - - - aka John L.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM
dicknadine

sun shineing bright and we are on our way to AMite for breakfast and grocery shopping. all set for the storm, except get the big generator fired up and ready to use. then back to repairing the fuselage and then then do the tail feathers. more later on. dick
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
dicknadine

Structure now complete @ 8 1/2 oz and starting to look for the next Roy Clough model to do. looks like it will be after the latest hurricane, Gustav pass's by. right now its centered on Bay St. Louis and our EX house, vacant lot. dick

Name:	Hf10387.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1021999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70412.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1022000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89083.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.5 KB