Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Platt WACO YMF-5

Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Platt WACO YMF-5

I came into a Dave Platt WACO YMF-5 kit from the mid 70s. A couple of us plan on building and flying this using some more modern ideas/ parts (dual ail.servos ,Saito .90 ,ect.). Is there anybody out there that can tell us a little about this kit and what to expect. One wing is missing but we have templates to cut more ribs. The rest of the kit is untouched. Complete with recept from Hobby Shack(sold on 11/19/75 to a T.O. Ibarra) for $70.70. AND a Dave Platt catalouge. Any help would be appreacated.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Platt WACO YMF-5

How did you miss the WACO YMF thread right here in this same forum. Dive in, and enjoy the building.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2008, 12:43 PM
stang151

I didn't miss it, lots of good info (didn't read the WHOLE thread). Seems to be about the Pica 1/5-1/6 scale kits. I was hoping that sombody would be able to tell me more about THIS kit.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: stang151

I didn't miss it, lots of good info (didn't read the WHOLE thread). Seems to be about the Pica 1/5-1/6 scale kits. I was hoping that sombody would be able to tell me more about THIS kit.
The Platt kit became the Pica kit. You are basically running a parallel thread on the same (with a few modifications) model. Pica bought this and a couple of others from Dave. This is one model that Dave won't ever discuss with you when you are talking with him. Last year at Top Gun, he and I were having a pleasant conversation, and the subject of the YMF came up. He denied any knowledge of a Waco kit, and walked away. Go figure.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Sir Crashalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickbuilder (Bill)

What a strange reaction from Dave. Even if he had bad feelings toward Pica. That’s still no reason to take it out on you. Guess he got a raw deal.

Btw. Thanks for the Platt same/similar to the Pica info. Did not know that!

Thanks!

Bob J.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Stickbuilder

There are more instances concerning this, but it's typical. I guess that once he was done with the project, he was done for good with it. This is not atypical of those who have lots of artistic talent. Dave is more artistic and talented than most. At least when it comes to designing and building. You don't see many successful flights though. I witnessed the crash of this year's Top Gun entry on the first flight. Beautiful model, short flight.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
stang151

Thanks for the info. I will start to read the thread.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:36 PM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plats easy to get stured up, i do every time i run into him, just ask him about decals for his kits he goes nuts
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: rack

plats easy to get stured up, i do every time i run into him, just ask him about decals for his kits he goes nuts
Ain't that the truth.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1