Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need KRAFT KPR-8FD receiver & TX modules

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need KRAFT KPR-8FD receiver & TX modules

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
skyhawkjock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need KRAFT KPR-8FD receiver & TX modules

Does anyone have a working Kraft KPR-8FD receover (FM narrow band Dual conversion) on Channel 48 that they would be willing to sell? I also need a Kraft FM transmitter RF module on channel 52. I would also be interested in buying any working receiver and transmitter matching pairs of the above model. If you have, name your price, I need them and will pay any reasonable price.
Thanks very much,

John
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need KRAFT KPR-8FD receiver & TX modules

you do realize that if you have am modules that any narrowband am rx will work futaba 114 or 117 or rcd,fm rx you can use are either airtronics or jr or rcd with the jr airtronics shift.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:01 AM
TFF

That is the magic question for all who use or collect Kraft stuff.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
aerowoof

not only collect it but fly it
Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 PM
TFF

I try to build a 60s/70s plane every year an slip one of the Krafts, I have, in it; servos, receiver, and all. Fun. If you cant find the stuff, those are good substitutes; actually better, but I find it fun to use the old stuff when I can.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
aerowoof

I do the same as you but it nis nice to test fly the set up with my jr 8103 then just pull out the kraft tx and fly with that.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
jaymen

The old AM Kraft receiver cases are big enough to hide a JR, Futaba, RCD, or FMA receiver inside.....
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
aerowoof

what would you do with the servo block on the new vs the old am case?I could see a jr700 working that way but how about a futaba 117h?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, I have a Kraft KPR-8DF FM receiver on channel 48. This spring I bought a Hitec Supreme IIS 8-Channel FM Autoshift DC Receiver to use in its place so that I could use more modern and powerful servos with my Kraft BiCentenial Series 76 Tx. I also have narrow banded Kraft AM TX modules and receivers for the transmitter on channels 40 and 56. I don't think I want to part with it since I may still have a use for it along with the 12 good KPS-14 and KPS-15 servos I have. I can the tell you that the Hitec Supreme IIS receiver works great with the Kraft FM Transmitter since it handles the positive shift of Kraft FM.

Bruce
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kraft with synthesizer module on top of the tx next to the antenna. This is a late model Kraft with dual meter. I tried using an fm module that i have from another kraft tx.It works but the signal strength meter on the tx shows only less than half deflection, whereas in the other kraf tx where the module came from,it shows full deflection. Am I getting full output and the indication is in error or is it showing the actual signal strength. Is there any fix?
Don't quite like the huge synthesizer module sticking out on top.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM
TFF

Are you checking with the antenna stowed, collapsed, or extended as that can change the readings.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
jaymen

Aerowoof, you can either change servo plugs to match the receiver block, or use servos that match the receiver. I would be more prone to using the newer servos for reliability.

I have had numerouse requests from people to stuff the guts of modern radios into old vintage anodized Tx cases to make the radio look like a 1960's rig, yet have all the reliability and features of a modern radio. It is possible, but takes time. Fortunately the Krafts with their modules makes them 1991 gold sticker upgradable.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, as I've posted before I've had great success using early digital proportional transmitters with modern airborne equipment. Ron Ellis (Grotto) on his web site gave me the initial idea - his efforts were on 53 mhz, using an early Micro-Avionics, Kraft Medal Series and MRC-710 transmitters.

My idea was to use 27 mhz. My first effort was a 1966 Citizen-ship DPT on 27.045, snagged off fleabay, in first class shape. I replaced the batteries, installed a Futaba R-114 AM reciever in the electric Wingo death plane test bed - worked perfectly. Next up, an ARF Senior Falcon, same results. Ron Morgan at the Mid-South fly-in suggested I replace the capacitors, which Ron Ellis did, as he has on all my old TXs.

My Goldberg Shoestring flies with a MRC-700 TX from 1969 (first I used the C-S), same Futaba reciever and servos. It's on 26.995. Rock solid operation. My Skylark 56 twin
has a Heathkit GD-19, also from 1969 which was narrow-banded on Channel 40 in the early 1990s by Kraft Midwest. I have a 15 year old Futaba R-114H on 72 which has performed very well with it.

Drawbacks - some people don't feel comfortable on 27, but I have had zero problems (and so has Bob Harris.) CB activity is a tiny fraction of what it once was. For that matter, in the mid-1970s I flew from a site 1/4 mile from U.S. 1 in the Florida Keys with no problems - at the height of the CB craze. Watch out for the electric park flyers, quite a few of those are on 27; you may not be the only one at the field!

OK, no servo reversing. How did we ever live without it? Like the old days, I try and plan it out, but sometimes it just makes sense to use a commercial servo reverser. Also new full-range AM recievers are getting a little scarce. Futaba quit making the R-114 on 27, but it lives on as the HPI RF-2 (still four channels.) Bob Harris knows of some current production three channels, but I forget who makes them.

Flying these old transmitters re-creates the R/C experience for me as I remember, albeit with solid reliable receivers and much better servos than days of yore. Amaze the new guys! They especially like the twin Skylark, without all the modern bells and whistles. Russ Farris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48922.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1035326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60279.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1035327