Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Ranger 42 price record?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Ranger 42 price record?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ranger 42 price record?

Wow, a NIB Goldberg Ranger 42 just sold on Ebay for...237.50!!! Someone wanted it bad- glad I've already got mine!

I picked up a NIB Midwest Cardinal very reasonably at Octoberfest last Saturday; it's somewhat larger (46") than the Ranger 42 but obviously an attempt to reach the same market, back in 1970. I'm sure it would be a great electric conversion, like my Ranger - anyone have any experience with this one? Russ Farris
Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ranger 42 price record?

Russ,

I never had a Cardinal but always wanted one since the Midwest advertising made the plane look really cool! I did have a Ranger 42 with my Controlaire/Os servo setup which flew very well with a Golden Bee. Plane had a much faster glide than my earlier Jr. Falcon but would really roll nice. Would I pay $200 plus for one... well...nope... I'll settle for memories...

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

How much would you pay for a Cardinal??
Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
jaymen

It's amazing isn't it? For those of us who can build, a set of plans and wood is all we need to re-create the memories. I have never really understood paying alot for vintage kits as the wood is usually split and warped, along with being die-crushed, the decals are shot, and they are worthless if you open up the kit, or anything is missing. Unless you intend to build it, and can't build from scratch, it's pointless to pay that much. Just get an empty box of the kit you are interested in and put it on your shelf, nobody will ever know it's empty! I can see paying that much to get a kit to make patterns from for reproduction kits, but here again, with computors, scanners, and lazer cutters you can make better fitting parts from the plans as most of the original die cut parts were not that accurate, especially for using as patterns. The Early R/C kits are good examples of kits that are far superior to the originals. Bob Harris sent me a Jr. Falcon. This kit is way better than the Goldberg kit in construction, wood quality, accuracy of the parts, full size plans and an illustrated instruction book. It's priced right too, so unless you are a collector of boxes that will never be opened, it makes no sense at all to buy an old Jr. Falcon. BTW I have seen original Jr. Falcons sell for over $150.00 on fleaBay, but they have dropped since Early R/C introduced their new and improved version.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 AM
fokker20planes

I was watching that Ranger also and I could not believe it! I had 2 of those planes and powered each with a T.D. .09. The plane was a lot of fun to spin. Ahhh, the good old days.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 AM
jjscott

There is another Ranger listed. Starting bid is $75, buy it now $235. No bids so far; looks like no reserve, so with the first bid buy it now goes away.

Jim
Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 AM
maxpower1954

ORIGINAL: skylane42

How much would you pay for a Cardinal??
Is that a rhetorical question I personally wouldn't pay more than around 75 bucks, and that would be on a good day. I see on your price list the Cardinal is about 100.00 or so.

Pictures of my full house, outrunner powered Ranger 42 - weight RTF only 17 ounces, way under the old single channel 24 ounces. Flies great, but as Dan said, glides faster than a Jr. Falcon. It's still not exactly a park flier.

Russ Farris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72565.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1053419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26504.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1053420