Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

"New" Old Esquire

Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
S. Christensen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "New" Old Esquire

Hi Everyone,
About a year ago at this same time I posted a thread about my then recently completed Guillow's Trixter Beam ("Trixter Beam Redux"). I mentioned in that thread that my next vintage R/C model was going to be the Midwest Esquire, another model from my early R/C days in the 50's. Now I know full well that a lot of modelers have built and flown replicas of this well known model, so at the risk of possibly boring you to tears, I'm using this thread to show you my own now completed Esquire replica.

The plans came from Bill Northrup and are copies of the original Midwest plans. This made building the model fairly easy and a great deal of fun. My Esquire is covered completely with SIG Koverall and finished with SIG dope. The colors are Diana Cream and Miami Blue. The colors and trim scheme approximate my old original Esquire. Back in the day my original Esquire had only rudder control through a Bonner S/N escapement. It was powered by a K&B green head .15 that I over-propped to slow it down. This "new" Esquire replica is a 3-channel model with rudder, elevators and throttle controls. The radio is a Airtronics VG6000 and is the radio system that I won with my Trixter Beam at this year's Toledo Show. The ready-to-fly weight is exactly 46 ounces, providing a nice wing loading of just over 13oz./sq. ft. No additional ballast was required to achieve a 30% CG location.

The engine is one of my trusty O.S. .15III's, with a Norvel .15 muffler adapted to it. This engine and muffler combination really runs well with a very good idle, good transition and a great sound. The airplane was completed back in late November but due to the ever so wonderful weather here in Iowa, it has not yet been test-flown. Oh well, this will be something to look forward to in spring. If it flies anywhere near as nicely as my Trixter Beam, I'll be a happy camper!

My next vintage R/C model is going to be the great deBolt Champ. As a matter of fact, I've now cut all the parts for this model and look forward to starting the build sometime after New Years. And speaking of that, I sincerely wish each and everyone of you a great Christmas and a wonderful 2009. I hope you enjoy the photos.
Scott Christensen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95516.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1092205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63886.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1092206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96882.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1092207  
Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM
S. Christensen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "New" Old Esquire

Here's a few more photos for your possible interest.
Scott Christensen

Name:	Om34232.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1092213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80018.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1092214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88844.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1092215  
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very excellent work! It would be wonderful if you would do a build thread on the Champ.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beautiful job! I remember these from my entry in RC almost 40 years ago.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In 1959 I had an Esquire with a K&B Torpedo 09. Was a F&M single channel with an L/R escapement

it flew like it was supposed to for what it was
Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
ifr2lax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

Here's a few more photos for your possible interest.
Scott Christensen
Looks GREAT...

I have a Esquire stared in1964...the wing was built and covered with nylon...I got the wing tips on UPSIDE Down...I was 13 and really couldn't read the plans...the wing looks like it should be stripped and get several hours of sanding with a sanding "block" or "bar"...

The fuselage is very salvegable, used white glue on the engine beams and plywood...it looks to be perfect 45 years later.

I still have the Fox 15 R/C I bought for it...it has a new carb barrel and bell crank...I do not think the engine was run more than 10 minutes...I am sure it would benefit from a text book "old iron piston/steel liner" break in of short runs with 29% castor...

I have broken up the horizontal stab to recut the ribs and make it suitable for adding an elevator...my initial hand cut ribs are too pathetic to use...but it will happen.

I have heard a gentlemen JOE GRASSO will cut you a complete Esquire or virtually anything else...do not have his phone number, but I am sure a few posting here will find it for you.

I have photos of the Esquire somewhere on the computer, will try to post them in the next week or so.

My thanks to my long gone MOM and DAD for not throwing out all my model airplane/magazine stuff from years ago ago...God Bless them!

Great Thread,

Pete
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine was covered with silk and painted with Sig Butyrate clear and glued together with Comet cement. I have B/W pictures in a old shoe box somewhere around here.

Scott, you have inspired me with your beautifully built old timers. It must have been about 1958 that I built a full size Ken Willard Breathless from a 3 view in a model magazine but I cannot remember which one. I obtained the ordinates for the Clark-Y from the University library and engineered the plane along the lines of other planes I had built. I used white glue because of the size except for F1 where I used fiberglass resin (polyester?). I used Randolph dope from the airport and it took two scarves from the dime store to cover the wing. It was single channel with my Ace Commander radio kit that I had assembled the year before. I used my dad's 1951 silver headed K&B 19 on the plane. Though a little underpowered (even for that time) the plane flew very well. I was a proud 13 year old. I eventually traded it off after a few years.

I remember 3 years ago seeing my old Esquire wing in the attic of the home where I grew up as my older son and I were disposing of things after my mother passed away. The silk had not fallen through the ribs. I was afraid to touch it. I just left it there.

I did sell all my old control line models about 4 years ago. The Flite Streak was covered with transparent orange Monokote in 1969 using my wife's clothing iron. The new owner took it right out to the field and flew it. The Monokote felt as good as new. The picture is of the guy that bought my C/L models flying my old Ringmaster that was built in the early 60's. He had to put new silkspan on the wings.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott, it looks absolutely fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
wilddog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott,
That is a great looking airplane! I do see one thing that might cause you a big problem, the dowels for the rubber bands look like they are angled up too much. I had a similar plane with the dowels angled the same way and after caster oil lubed them the wing poped off in a loop. The nose buried about one foot into mud and the wing floated down, all flew again after some minor repairs.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 AM
boberos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott,
Nice job on the old ''Esquire'', looks great. Mine bit the dust 2 years ago with a Controlaire GG radio in it.
I think I'd better patch it up 1 more time.
Thanks,

W8ye
Interesting comment about the ''Breathless''
Our local club had it's 50th anniversary this year.
The 1st plane flown at the "new" club was a Breathless in 1958.
We managed to get 12 members to build & fly Breathless's for the celebration this past summer. What a blast.

Bob
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
S. Christensen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wilddog,
Thanks for your comments - the same to everyone else! Regarding the forward two wing dowels. My goal in building these replicas has always been to keep them as close as "stock" as possible all in the interest of creating a true replica. However, some things require a second look based on my collective experiences through the years. The two forward wing dowels are located exactly per the original plans and are both seated in holes that were drilled at 90 degs. to the front face of the windshield block, per the plans. I then made but have not yet installed a pair of "caps" that go over each of these dowels. These caps are short lengths of brass tubing with an internal ID that allows them to slip fit over the dowels. At the top of each cap, I've soldered a washer that prevents the hold-down rubber bands from slipping off. I then airbrushed the cap assemblies in silver to match the color of the windshield, making them a little less obvious. Of course this "mod" is not stock, so when I took the photos, I left them off the model in the interest of authenticity.

Likewise, I wanted to duplicate the original design by having the horizontal stabilizer rubber-banded in place. This of course can be problematic when you introduce elevators into the mix - control surfaces that the original Esquire did not have. So I keyed the center top of the stab to fit neatly into the bottom rear of the fuselage. This keeps the stab from shifting during flight. Of course this can't be seen externally, so it worked for me in terms of how the model looked when it was completed.

I am really enjoying the various stories that you guys are sharing about your own Esquire and/or Esquire related experiences. Often times real inspiration can come from simply reading about someone else's experience. Keep building and keep sharing!
Scott
Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Trisquire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beautiful Esquire Scott.

Tom
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Scott,
Beautiful job on your Esquire! Did you make the tail wheel stearable? If so, did you use a pushrod separate from the rudder pushrod or maybe engineer something real clever? Long ago I built the Midwest Super Esquire and used a separate pushrod for the tailwheel, but was difficult to service once finished. Is that a hatch around your tail wheel? Sorry for so many questions, but it's such a great looking build that you got me thinking about that extra Super Esquire kit sitting on the shelf...
Thanks for posting your pics,
jeff
Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM
S. Christensen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jeff,
Many thanks for your nice post. No, the tail wheel on my Esquire is not steerable right now, but could be in the future. The original Midwest plans have you stitching the tail wheel wire into the bottom rear sheeting of the the fuselage. Of course this could be done but in terms of holding up, it's purely wishful thinking! I bent my tail wheel wire to shape with a flat triangular shape at the top. I then laminated this wire form between two pieces of hardwood - 3/32" lite-ply on the bottom and 1/64" ply on the inside. This wood form, with the tail wheel wire now firmly laminated in place, was cut to a square shape. On the bottom of the fuselage, I cut a square out of the bottom sheeting, sized to perfectly accept the square shape of the tail wheel wire hatch. In the inside bottom of the fuselage, I installed a lite ply doubler over the tail wheel mounting area. Now the tail wheel hatch could be placed into the cut-out in the fuselage, flush with the bottom sheeting, and be held in place with four small wood screws. This is a very strong and servicable mounting method that doesn't take much away from the overall looks of the model. I've attached a photo of this area that's maybe a little clearer for you.

I recall that my original Esquire, back in the 50's, was routinely launched from the ground without any issues. For test flying purposes, I will certainly be hand-launching my Esquire. But after that I am planning to conduct a few ROG exercises to see if I can consistently take off from either grass or asphault. We'll see what comes of this soon enough....
Scott Christensen

Name:	Wu59807.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1092715  
Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott:

That is a really pretty Esquire you have there. The Esquire was always one of my favorites since 1969 when I was a kid and an older club member gave me his that was a little wrinkled. I( have a new one from an Early RC kit with a park 480 electric and three channel setup. But I did build a second stabilizer with no elevator so I can fly it R&M for real old time thrills. I have a Little Esquire that I fly R&M with electric and it is a blast.

Good luck with yours and I hope you get some flying weather before we do here in Connecticut.

Happy New Year

Mark O
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
LittleRock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got word today that Scott has past away. Don't know any more at this time. He was a good friend and will be missed by all.
Steve Staples
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My condolences to his family

He will be missed

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/m...nsen-Scott.pdf

From another post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8301381
12-31-09
"Mr. Scott Christensen of SIG Mfg. Co. passed away suddenly today while undergoing surgery to attempt to repair a ruptured aorta. "
Mike Gretz
Design Engineer
Sig Manufacturing Co. Inc
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My condolences to his family as well.

This news saddens me deeply...

Robert
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had to sit thinking about this for a while. After seeing a new post after mine I was very interested in reading some more about Scott's Esquire. This was truly a terrible thing to read. All us modelers have suffered another great loss. This will be my last post tonight.

My condolences to Scott's family and to all his co-workers. I have attended several events at the Sig factory in Iowa and the workers are truly family.

Thermals

Mark O