Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Das Ugly Stick

Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 AM
2doggies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Das Ugly Stick

Hello:
I have been following the posts about the ugly stick. I flew one of these in the 70's until I re-kited it. It would just about fly itself. Rcm had an article in 1968 about a Kwik Stick. This plane came about when modelers had a usable wing, radio,motor that survived a crash. I built one of these sticks from the magazine plans and it was the GREATEST! VERY easy and Kwik to build. I used a 60" Ugly Stick wing and a Merco 61 motor. The plan lists 3 sizes of Sticks, small, med and large. The plan is available from RCM, #543, Kwik-Stick.
I ordered a wing kit from Tower Hobbies in 1981. Is was listed as a Jensen wing kit Das Ugly Stick, Tower Catalog I.D.#JEN75001. I still have this in the original box with plan, bell-cranks and all the balsa. I do not know if Tower still sells this. Before I build this wing, I am going to make aluminum templates of the ribs for future use, due to my tendency to re-kit (crash). Hope this was helpful for the builders out there.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Das Ugly Stick

Welcome to RCUniverse

The Jensen was sorta in between the current 40 and 60 size sticks

They are pretty hot with a 61 but can be decent with a good new style 46

They still fly as well as they ever did

I have a friend that recently built one of the old sticks and he has a 65 four stroke and it moves along pretty good. He is happy
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 2doggies

Hello:
I have been following the posts about the ugly stick. I flew one of these in the 70's until I re-kited it. It would just about fly itself. Rcm had an article in 1968 about a Kwik Stick. This plane came about when modelers had a usable wing, radio,motor that survived a crash. I built one of these sticks from the magazine plans and it was the GREATEST! VERY easy and Kwik to build. I used a 60" Ugly Stick wing and a Merco 61 motor. The plan lists 3 sizes of Sticks, small, med and large. The plan is available from RCM, #543, Kwik-Stick.
I ordered a wing kit from Tower Hobbies in 1981. Is was listed as a Jensen wing kit Das Ugly Stick, Tower Catalog I.D.#JEN75001. I still have this in the original box with plan, bell-cranks and all the balsa. I do not know if Tower still sells this. Before I build this wing, I am going to make aluminum templates of the ribs for future use, due to my tendency to re-kit (crash). Hope this was helpful for the builders out there.
Welcome to RCU and glad to have another aircraft builder on the forum. Here’s a link to a RCU build that you may be interested in http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5480239/tm.htm
Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/issues/re...051985-1-1.pdf

You can find the construction articals here on RCM. There are two parts you may have to log in to read the other but there is no registration. User ID: newuser
Password: imaa

I love stick planes.