Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Wheel chair Ukie

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheel chair Ukie

My apologies guys this was intended as a reply to post #6 in the McCoy redhead thread and I goofed.

Hey Rob

First let me describe my condition. I have a failed left artificial hip, actually the forth one over the years and no longer have too many options. Most of my time is spent in a chair but I can use crutchs for short distances. I remove the foot rests from my chairs and get around mostly by kicking along backwards and guiding, propelling myself with the good leg. I am able to spin around in my chair on a paved surface fast enough and with good control with that good leg.

My condition deteriorated to this point perhaps a year ago and the only thing that kept me going was continued RC flying with friends even building a chair carrier on the receiver hitch of my truck. Well after getting over feeling sorry for myself I was pushed into trying Ukie agine and soon discoverd the 'Key' was electronic throttle, not three line as these don,t work with soft slackening lines. Acquired the Bill Young three channel system and installed a throttled .25 on a simple airplane and have not looked back. No problems at all. Am presently replacing the Fox combat special on my old Skyray with a throttled Magnum .25 using a micro servo and a 50 Mil pack. A few years ago I used to do Ukie demos at RC events and some public events and one of the gags was to carry a lawn chair out and sit in it after takeoff doing a series of horizontal eights. Have found that the wheel chair is easier than this you can still do the backstep only more appropriately 'back wheel' and you could not do that on the lawn chair.

Now to the best part. The efforts with Ukie has given me the courage to make the return to my first love, three pole pylon racing with a lot of prodding from friends and I am happy to say am doing quite well and being more accepted by my competitors now.

I know nothing about MS but with some help from your friends I,d be willing to bet you will be able to keep your hand in for a long time to come.

John

By the way on my earlier attempts I had someone spinning the chair for me and this also worked but in my case found it better to spin myself as long as it was on a paved surface, that surface is one of the keys.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel chair Ukie

Excellent! That works! For some reason I was picturing a fixed chair, which I suppose would be the case if you had no use of your legs..... Huh.....

I've given up on R/C planes, at least fast ones, since my eyes don't support the habit "Crap!!!!! How'd the ground get there so fast?!!!" And now started on R/C sailboats. I'm usually in pretty good shape, but when my buddies notice I'm having issues (like falling on my butt into the water with a sailboat on top of me) they'll be there to help. Helpful hint: Take your wallet OUT of your pocket before going near the water.

Good for you! The hardest thing is keeping going, at least at first. I'm rooting for all of us