Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Debolt Live Wire Champ

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Debolt Live Wire Champ

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:03 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I think that's even more than I had. I think in the 1950s when this was designed the 15s and 19s of the day did not have much power. With low power, the stab was fine. Add power and you have to trim in down elevator. All the more reason not to diminish the down thrust by reducing the wing incidence.

I agree with raising the LE of the stab. Then as long as it isn't ground looping, taking off at the right speed is really a matter of technique, not the airplane. Tail needs to come up first, then the wing won't be at too much of an angle at lift off.

Back when the LW Champ was designed most RC models of this size were hand launched.

Jim
Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, 100% on all counts. Hand-launching; my sailplanes get that, nothing else. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too old and crippled for that kind of exercise.

Present plan is to fly her tomorrow, then the tail gets "repositioned". Nice weather coming for a few days - and I never pass up flying weather.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:46 PM
ekajoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, we got a day without wind and rain, so I got a chance to try out some of the advice that is presented here. Since I didn't need as much down-trim on the elevator as Dave did, I shimmed about half as much as he did. Voila! No more insecurity at lift-off, and the difference in appearance is barely noticeable.

Since the plane was veering around before the tail came up, I added toe-in as Jim suggested. End of problem! I also used Jim's takeoff suggestions and the results are amazing.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm now completely happy with my Champ.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:42 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG! Forgot all about noting my changes. Thanks ekajoe, the old memory isn't what it used to be.

First, flying on the 14th & 15th was way better - much like yours. On the 16th I cut off the tail and repositioned it - about a degree, I guess, raised the front 1/16" was all. Then I re-directed the engine, gave it just a bit more down-thrust. I'd already bent the landing gear more to raise her off the ground a bit and bolted it down (no more rubber bands) - I toe'd-in the wheels just a tiny bit to boot.

Then I took her out on the 17th - OUTSTANDING!!! Take-offs are a bit longer than they were originally but the performance - I've got nothing but praise for the old girl, she's fabulous. T/O is straight as an arrow, the actual moment she leaves the ground is 100% stable. Yeah, she's always been fun to fly, now she's fun to get off the ground too.

I'm a happy camper too.

Hey y'all, I hope ye have a Merry Christmas, Happy HO! HO!, all that great stuff!!

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations guys. You're making me think about the one I've got in the attic!

Also, I do remember now taking the pliers to that dural gear and bending in some toe-in.

Jim