Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Corben Super Ace

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
P. Winters
My Feedback: (243)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corben Super Ace

Hi guys,

I just acquired a fully built Corben Super Ace. The wing span is 80". There are no plans, manual, or any other information. Does anyone have any idea who would have manufactured this kit?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Patrick
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Corben Super Ace

Corben Super Ace
Maybe Ikon N'West [link=http://www.ikonnwst.com/corbenpagef.html]>HERE<[/link]

If you look at their list of kits it is listed as a 80" WS and then 90" in the ad itself....
(Corben Super Ace 1/4 80" 9-10 lbs 60 - 80 4-Cycle)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
RFJ

Full size Super Ace was around 27 feet wing span ( depends which book you read[]) so 80" would be 1/4 scale.

Ray
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's an 80 incher, it's from Emil Neely (IkonN'West). It was a very bad kit, but it does fly well. Mine is 15 years old and still flys well. It does exhibit a pronounced, "Dutch roll" under full power, but flys very Cub-like. It uses a Saito 80 for power and it's plenty. The plans were simple line drawings, and the manual was a single 81/2 X 11 sheet of paper that had some assembly steps written out. No help at all. I have several photos available that were taken during the building of mine. Let me know if you would like me to post them. The advertized weight of 10 pounds is fairly accurate believe it or not. I just remeasured the wingspan on mine and it's actually 80 1/2 inches. I had many conversations with Emil on the telephone during the build and assembly of documentation of this model. Mine was modelled after the one that was built by The Magazine called Popular Aviation in 1934. The original that Orland G. Corben had silver wings and horizontal stab, and the fuse, rudder and vertical stab were yellow with black trim. Popular Aviation's version used all yellow wings and tail group. Emil was singularly unhelpful, and even often hostile when being questioned about how he intended some of the build sequences to go. I had a Waco On order from him, but cancelled it due to his attitude, and the quality of the Corben kit. Virtually none of the parts were useable for anything other than for patterns. It was that bad. I always call the IkonN''West kits a great place to start.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92221.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1188448  
Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
P. Winters

Bill,

Thanks so much for the great background information! I'm almost certain that this is what I have. It looks almost identical to yours. I would love to see some more photos, especially during the construction phase. Mine doesn't have an engine or electronics installed. I'm not sure why there is a servo mounting tray in the center and top of the fuselage. It appears that there is a place for a servo in each wing half. (There's a hatch with four holes that appear to hold a servo.) You mentioned that the instructions are pretty bad...do they give the location of the CG and amount of deflection of control surfaces? I'm considering either a .70 4-stroke or a .91 4-stroke for power. What is your recommendation?

I appreciate your advice!

Patrick
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
P. Winters

Thanks Wornboots!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
P. Winters

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Stickbuilder

I would go with the .91 4 stroke. I'm afraid that the .70 might be marginal. I'll post the C/G for you tonight after I get home. Mine has a couple of hatches to access the electronics. Mine also uses pull-pull for the rudder, and for the elevators. My aileron servos are mounted in the wing center, with bellcranks and golden rods to move the ailerons. Cooling the engine may be a minor problem, so make sure that you have the tunnel open to the rear bottom of the engine bay. I'll try to get you some good shots of this. It's critical to keep from frying the engine.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
P. Winters

Thanks Bill. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Patrick
Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Ace
My Feedback: (13)

I really like that aircraft..
ACE
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Ace

I really like that aircraft..
ACE
That's good, although I haven't a clue why that would be. I've never known anyone to build more than one of them ever.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Stickbuilder

The Center of Balance on the Super Ace is at 3 7/8" behind the leading edge at the fuselage.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
P. Winters

Thanks Bill!