Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

New project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 AM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New project

I was a little worried when I finally screwed a glow plug into my brand new GMS .32 yesterday morning in preparation for a break-in run....This thing has almost NO compression!! I can feel the "click' at TDC like an ABC motor should have but it just seems to have zero resistance..On a hunch, I checked the head screws and you guessed it, all but one was not only loose but backed off a couple turns!![:@] All ends well, after I tightened everything up, she fired right up and broke in nicely! This motor really screams!! Unfortunetly I was only able to squeeze in a 4oz tank so flights wont be very long. I'm not a "fly around at full throttle" kind of flyer so I'm hoping for about 10 mins. This plane was designed around an old Veco .19 so I think this .32 will be way overkill so it should be fun!!

-Johnny-

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28757.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1424702  
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
jrbmoto

Is anybody interested in this plane? Its been sitting here collecting dust in my shop since I finished it..Brand new, never flown with a brand new GMS .32 New servos and battery...I cant see anything smaller than .40 size anymore!

-Johnny-
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM
jrbmoto

MAIDEN FLIGHT!!

Well the first flight was an absolute success! Engine was running perfectly, just a click or two of down elevator and about the same of right aileron. Wow! What a sweet flying plane! It really flys more like a .40 size pattern plane than a .25 size. Rolls are a little barrel like so I will add some differential to the ailerons. I will have to do this mechanically since I have just one servo. Landing was uneventful, not the smoothest but we do have a strong crosswind at our field. Trouble began on the second flight, I still am not sure what the promlem was but the engine sagged as soon as I took off so I quickly went to half throttle to try to keep it running but it quit just as I was completing my first turn. Luckily I was high enough to do another 180 and head back down the runway, basicly one lap around the field. Played around with the needle a little bit and she seemed to be running right again on the ground so I gave her another shot. Same thing only this time I wasnt very high when the engine quit. But again, luck was with me and I was able to get her back to the runway although I was landing across it! Ok now its time to figure out whats going on here.. I took the needle valve completely out and blew through the muffler pressure line forcing fuel out the needle valve hole. There must have been a speck of dirt in there or something because after reinstalling the needle, she ran perfectly again. One more flight with no problems. In fact this motor is a SCREAMER!!! Pulls it straight up out of sight! Nice big loops, smooth point and slow rolls, stall turns, all were done with ease. It will hold a knife edge with 3/4 throttle and half the rudder. Inverted needs some down elevator but I do have it a tad bit nose heavy, on purpose for the first flights.
All in all, I am thrilled with this little plane! I wasn't sure if I was even going to keep it because my eyes are getting so bad that I've been trying to stick with .40 and .60 size planes. This is without a doubt the best flying .25 size plane I've ever flown. Glad I kept it!

-Johnny-
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Johnny,

last you posted was summer 2010 and no one congratulated you on a successful and enjoyable maiden! So congrats are in order.

I recently picked up a kit of this model and was planning on building it for electric power. Did you build yours stock and if so, do have an AUW for your model with the 32? What radio gear do you have in it?

I've been considering replacing the 3/16" fuse sides for 3/32" sides with a possible 1/32" ply doubler hollowed out at front for some additional strength. Should be lighter. I also thought about retracts but it doesn't make much sense on this design - simple design so I'll keep it simple and go with the kit contents as much as possible. I'm just missing a canopy and instructions but I can live without those.

David.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even remember it, I spend most of my time on Classic Pattern. neat model, seems perfect for a little Classic pattern actually. We're going to have a Camarillo Fly-In soon. Look on the Classic pattern board sometime, Johnny. BTW, where do you fly?
Chris...