Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Rumplestadt

Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rumplestadt

Quote:
ORIGINAL: squeakalong

Mike, a question if I may: you mention you can take your file offering and enlarge it via ''paint''. Do you mean Paintshop? And how do you go about doing this, and what do I need to do so it will print in tile format? (I hate it when I have to ask ''dumb...I'm computer challenged'' questions ...)

Soft landings.

Joe
Don;t feel like the "lone Ranger"... I know a pretty good amount (by school of hard knocks-self taught) about computers...and still ask those questions..(it never ends)

'been a while since I played with printing plans..and memory sortof fades now... but here is how I remember it

you can open an adobe file and (best i remember) either right click it and selct all and copy or use the edit tab and select all and copy..

this copies it to the clipboard....ever how its done ...all you need is get it copied to the clipboard

then open the app "paint" under accessories under programs from the start menu.

right click and "paste" or hit edit tab and then paste.

you can then just print it... I think tile print is the default way of printing a large file..

it will show you have many pages to print

then you have to intelligently cut off the right excess of all paper( not printed area) and then cut of excess of bottom (same)...and use a office glue stick to glue then all together. (use a straightedge to keep all horizontal lines straight and vertical lines vertical...and after printing a few plans you will become an expert at it)...its easy... then try saving several copies and use the paints image streatch or skew feature to expand to say 150% (same for stretch and skew) or ever use 50% for a half size plan..

I suggest lowest resolution as the print quality as your just needing lines...and buy an extra black prin cartridge and a pack of paper...you'll probably need it. you can choose a greyscale only image only in print and that seems to make it use the black cartridge more than the color... I just refill most of my cartridges myself but rapidfill (a cartridge refill storefront here) is about as cheap as refilling supplies....so I but ther too.

maybe a real computer geek can help out here if I'm wrong..
Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, Mike! Thanks (I think)...I have Adobe Reader 8 and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 on this computer...is that what you are talking about using?

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Okay, Mike! Thanks (I think)...I have Adobe Reader 8 and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 on this computer...is that what you are talking about using?

Soft landings.

Joe

I was talking of microsoft Paint that comes with the computer software, however, the JASC 8 is very similar to my photshop x and I use it most of the time for printing as I can use print preview and select the part of the image I want that fits my paper and print it...then just find where they join and leave about an inch for gluing and print maybe just the fuselage or just the stab etc.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I'm going to try that out and see what happens......wait, maybe I'd better grab MY guitar pic and have a go at THAT first... ...Thanks again, Mike.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Well, I'm going to try that out and see what happens......wait, maybe I'd better grab MY guitar pic and have a go at THAT first... ...Thanks again, Mike.

Soft landings.

Joe
Lol...treat a guitar right...like a lady and it will return the favor many times over

Do that to a computer....well, need I say more[:@]
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Soft landings.

JOe
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 AM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SCORPIO_2727

Hi, Mike. The 2 Rumplestads I bought from freeair have been built and covered as by a professional model maker. Immaculate is not an understatement. While freeair was in the selling mood, I also bought Pilot kit of the Bucker Jumgmeister to be powered by a .40 four stroke- have just a little to do to get it up to flying status. Also an Auster 9, for a 60 to 70- four stroke, fuse built primed ready for the final wet and dry, the wing panels yet to be covered. And also a small old time, built/covered, ready for motor and radio installation. The builds and covering of all these models is exceptional. One of the Rumplestads has the wing and tail planes covered with Solartex. Very appropriateMind you, these 2 new Rumplestads make my 25 year old one look sad. But 3 Rumplestads, all mine, on the flight line. Glen
Hi Glen

I would think that with all the pretty weather and a hanger full of Rumplestadts you might bring us up to speed on the "3 generations flying Rumplestadts simultaneously " project... Howzit going in the Land Down Under?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:02 AM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dupe deleted
Old 01-22-2010, 12:12 AM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Hi, Mike. The 2 Rumplestads I bought from freeair have been built and covered as by a professional model maker. Immaculate is not an understatement. While freeair was in the selling mood, I also bought Pilot kit of the Bucker Jumgmeister to be powered by a .40 four stroke- have just a little to do to get it up to flying status. Also an Auster 9, for a 60 to 70- four stroke, fuse built primed ready for the final wet and dry, the wing panels yet to be covered. And also a small old time, built/covered, ready for motor and radio installation. The builds and covering of all these models is exceptional. One of the Rumplestads has the wing and tail planes covered with Solartex. Very appropriateMind you, these 2 new Rumplestads make my 25 year old one look sad. But 3 Rumplestads, all mine, on the flight line. Glen
Hi Glen

I trust your doing OK

Can you bring me up to speed on how the cal and the hanger full of Rumplestadts are doing?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I saved the scans from Ray and Gittarpikk to my computer, but when I tried to open them they were stretched out horizontally and compressed vertically and I couldn't use them at all. Does anyone know why this happened or what I can do about it?

I was thinking of building one for my ancient Enya .19.

thanks,
Jim
Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mike & Buzzard Bait. The Rumplestadts are my pride and joy. I took photos of the 2 that Freeair sold me, sent him the pics: he's gone to the extent of enlarging the photos and had them laminated. The photos show the R'stadts up close, flying sedately past the camera. The "sit" of the models in the air look just right. And yes, I can undersand his attachment to these little beauties. Although I'm a grass roots builder, I've also bought 2 more models from Freeair, a Revolver and a Katana, such is the quality of his building.
To see my old R'stadt beside the 2 new ones prompted me to dress up old faithful after all those years of service. And Buzzard Bait, mine had a tired Enya c/l engine also, now updated to a new engine, with a throttle to boot. With the Enya 19, she'd just trundle into the air. There's a lot of life left in the old girl yet. Me part with any of these little jewels? Like bldy L. Glen
Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds great Glen. I'm just trying to come up with a scan of the plans so I could build one. I can't figure out why the scans posted here aren't working for me.

Nice to hear the old Enya would be suitable. Mine does have a throttle, which even worked quite well once I installed a good glow plug.

Jim
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Hi Mike & Buzzard Bait. The Rumplestadts are my pride and joy. I took photos of the 2 that Freeair sold me, sent him the pics: he's gone to the extent of enlarging the photos and had them laminated. The photos show the R'stadts up close, flying sedately past the camera. The ''sit'' of the models in the air look just right. And yes, I can undersand his attachment to these little beauties. Although I'm a grass roots builder, I've also bought 2 more models from Freeair, a Revolver and a Katana, such is the quality of his building.
To see my old R'stadt beside the 2 new ones prompted me to dress up old faithful after all those years of service. And Buzzard Bait, mine had a tired Enya c/l engine also, now updated to a new engine, with a throttle to boot. With the Enya 19, she'd just trundle into the air. There's a lot of life left in the old girl yet. Me part with any of these little jewels? Like bldy L. Glen
Hi Glen

Glad to hear from ya...was worried something happened to you as I was certain you would have something to add about the new squadron. Good to see you dressing up the old girl in a new wardrobe.Now that she has some competition, she needed to look her best. A lot happened here over the winter. My aunt and my uncle passed in 1 month and my brother was here from Australia for the funerals (he had moved to a more climatable part of Australia). Right after that, I got a call my severely handicapped daughter (32 years old, cebral palsy, sculliosis and had to breath through a trach tube and fed by tube in stomach) was in ICU and her mom , who had devoted her life to her daughters care was also in ICU with cancer and not expected to get better.

I drove to the hospital 15 miles away , 4 times a day for a month to get her through and back home. Since we didn't have Chrismas, we left then to my wifes kids and grand kids in SC and visited over the weekend and got back on Sunday. I was going to go visit my daughter on Monday, but was called Monday morning with the news she had passed away....She is in a better place now and now , whole. Since her passing, I have had a few days to work on a couple of my projects (inventions) and have discovered several new building technics and methods for working foam. Since it is winter here, and a rainy one, building is about all I can do till I start my new career next week. Someday I'm gonna hafta do some videos on what I have come up with as its really unique.

I have a few pics of the old Rumplestadt that was built in 1971 along with a newpaper clipping of that one with two others taken in 1971 at the club field I attend. They are on my phone camera, and somewhat difficult to get to the computer, but I will post them soon...You will like them. Maybe I can get a full sized one built in wood this winter.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Sounds great Glen. I'm just trying to come up with a scan of the plans so I could build one. I can't figure out why the scans posted here aren't working for me.

Nice to hear the old Enya would be suitable. Mine does have a throttle, which even worked quite well once I installed a good glow plug.

Jim
Hi Jim

I will try to mimic the problem if I can and if I figure out the solution, I will post it... Seems Like I remember posting instructions as to how to print a tiled plan from the file I posted...I'll look for them when I get a bit of time.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:00 PM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks very much, whenever you have got some time. I actually had the same difficulty with a couple of scanned photos I tried to download. But other photos have worked fine.

I'm sorry about your daughter.

Jim
Old 01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, Mike. Firstly, let me offer my condolences. You've been double whammied from each and every side. Life is good but then there are some invariable very very painful experiences. I myself have had a very traumatic past 2 years. Thankfully, I had my modelling to pull me through. Building model after model before my turn comes. And I have so many models of planes that I like I have yet to build. My plea: take someone else. I'm not ready yet!!!!
I'm interested to know where in Oz your brother is now living to be a climatable area. At the moment we're at the other end of the scale to you; winter your end, mid summer my end and it's ruddy hot here. And the winds locally, even the crows are walking.
Am also interested in your inventions when working with foam although I'm from the stick and tissue brigade. I have a few foamies RTF but they don't turn me on.
I'll see if I still have that pic of a Rumplestadt sedately drifting by the camera, and post it. Pure nostalgia. Glen
Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Hi, Mike. Firstly, let me offer my condolences. You've been double whammied from each and every side. Life is good but then there are some invariable very very painful experiences. I myself have had a very traumatic past 2 years. Thankfully, I had my modelling to pull me through. Building model after model before my turn comes. And I have so many models of planes that I like I have yet to build. My plea: take someone else. I'm not ready yet!!!!
I'm interested to know where in Oz your brother is now living to be a climatable area. At the moment we're at the other end of the scale to you; winter your end, mid summer my end and it's ruddy hot here. And the winds locally, even the crows are walking.
Am also interested in your inventions when working with foam although I'm from the stick and tissue brigade. I have a few foamies RTF but they don't turn me on.
I'll see if I still have that pic of a Rumplestadt sedately drifting by the camera, and post it. Pure nostalgia. Glen

Hi Glen

Thanks for the condolences... Winter has always be bad for me in some form or another...this year it was losing family....and it is still going. Just got word today that my ex-wife (mother of my daughter) also passed away. I felt that would be the way it would end. With he devoting her life to the care of her daughter, she was simly too weak due to the cancer and drugs and when told her daghter passed, just had no fight left... 20 days to the day. So that is 4 in less than that many months.

I do have some pics of the 3/4 putzing by, don't rem if I posted them ...so apologies if double posted

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88438.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1362567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76905.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1362568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22526.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1362569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65886.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1362570  
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Thanks very much, whenever you have got some time. I actually had the same difficulty with a couple of scanned photos I tried to download. But other photos have worked fine.

I'm sorry about your daughter.

Jim
Was just typing to Glen, Her mother also just passed...today.

I have thought about the problem, and here is a stab at it.

When you go to print. Or use print set up (the box that comes up just before printing where you tell the printer how to behave), Look and see that the "do not scale ....or do not resize to fit page" box is checked or something of that sort. What you do not want is the printer trying to resize or scale the page to fit anything. You just want it to print it as it is ....and if it throws up something like "image will not fit on page, print anyway"...answer yes and depending on which program you have used to print it, it may let you adjust the copy area to overlay whatever area you want to print.....or it will just start printing a bunch of pages you can trim and paste together. Al little tricky, but you'll figure out how it needs trimmed to make the whole plan visible with no white bands through it.

Standard glue stik for paper or (my favorite= purple tint that goes away when dry) is appropo for the gluing and is workable for a minute or so.

Hope this works, let me know.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm away from home now, but I will be back in about a week, and will try then and let you know.

Jim
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Glen

He is an exerpt from my brothers reply in Oz

I think this time of year Glen would be right about Australia. Just yesterday the temperature in Sydney was about 42 which is way over 100. But it is summer time in Oz and this is the hottest and driest continent in the world.

We use to live in Central Queensland where the temp was around a hundred most of the time. Now we live in Port Macquarie New South Wales which is a five hour drive north of Sydney. It is right in between the coast and the mountains and is arguably the most temperate climate in Australia. That's why there are a lot of people who retire and move here. January and February are hot but the temp begins to cool in March and is much more bearable.

You can go to the internet and look up a beach cam for Port Macquarie. That might give you a look at the area.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: RFJ

Quote:
The Rumplestadt came out in RCM in July 1970 something
RCM July 1971. Cute little thing isn't it

Ray
I'm a happy guy..!

I >finally< got rid of that old Kyocera phone and US Cellular swapped me another phone ...one I >could< get the pics off it

Here are some pics...may take numerous posts... of the 1971 built original Rumplestadt Owner and builder Clyde "Goose" Goforth at the VAM field in the early 70's.... along with reprint of the newpaper column pic of the fun fly combat they had and pics of Goose and the plane this last summer at the VAM fun fly (club has been at that field for 35 years). Also pics of my 3/4 electric with it. One more very dear pic. The last one I got of my severly handicapped daughter which I lost this January. She was 32.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj22937.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1378154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88983.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1378155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19396.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1378156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71301.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1378157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95502.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1378158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67599.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1378159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df75352.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1378160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe14412.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1378161  

Name:	Ed60618.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1378162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se35845.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1378163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io66056.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1378164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xh39826.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1378165  
Old 02-13-2010, 07:34 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And the greatest of all...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ca80639.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1378166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15956.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1378167  
Old 06-01-2014, 07:01 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A lot has come and gone in 4 years...whew!,,,

Not only have a patent on a flyable 'sphere'...but have been quite active in FPV... so the new subject for FPV will be none other than a huge Rumplestadt... One of my building techniques utilizes Dollar Tree foam of which I built a nice 10' Old Woodys Pusher..

at 7 # all up its 90 % DT board and packing tape... motor is is a Hobby King 660 watt Donkey which will be replaced with a Surpass 52 4 stroker

that said... the new Rumplestadt will be as large...but much lighter...and with an extremely thick wing utilizing an airfoil that I found on a FS ultralight called the Bloop 2. This Rumplestadt will be FPV with 360 pan, tilt and skew controlled with the Trinity 3 axis head tracker in my Fat Shark Dominators... so huge, super slow ( full size Bloop 2 flies at a whopping 24 mph wide open)..and super stable as it will have dihedral just like the original Rumplestadt....and will be rudder, elevator and motor.

I', thinking 8' wings with chords maybe 12". Trexler air tires...or maybe some other really large and light tires.

second PFV system will be controlled by a separate transmitter and video downlink...and will be from the rear gunner pilot with the machine gun on turrent with camera looking through guns sights and controlled in pan an tilt just like a rear gunner would operate his gun in a dogfight.. all cams will be in HD...so the video can be made to look like a Rumplestadt in action and if the gunner gets the gunsight on the enemy then it is the victor....

.....so think the ole Rumplestadt is dead...think again..!... the best is yet to come....we'll be flying this one from the cockpits..and woe be unto the enemy opponents.

....I have a few projects to finish to have my shop back in use...but this will be my next project...anticipate its completion in less than 2 months...just in time for fall flying here in the states

Hope everyone is well...that participated in this thread before..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front.jpg.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2000534   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2000535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0001.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2000536  
Old 02-08-2015, 04:43 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gotta get my gittar out and somehow come up with an 'ode to the ole Rumplestadt'..

...but for now, I'm reporting in...
having suffered a ladder accident at work...and Dec 16 2014 had shoulder surgery, I had finished my shop just prior to the surgery.
Dec and part of Jan was recuperating and learning to live ambidextrously..but finally getting the Rump up and going.

Since 10'wing planes take up too much space in the shop..I settled on a more practical 125% of the original size. The wings are EP with the Bloop 2 airfoil which is high lift and extremely slow flying.. Instead of electric, I am using a Surpass 26 for the four banger vintage sound and probable flight times of 45 minutes.

Construction is a mix of foam, and open stringer fuse with pull-pull aft flight surfaces. Am thinking of ailerons on lower wing with high differential to eliminate yaw.

Goal is an extremely light nitro plane that simply 'floats' along at scale speeds /envelope and fitted with fpv with pan/tilt/skew head tracking with my Fat Shark goggles.

This should be one of the most realistic planes I've built with probably a really large , extremely lightweight PT-19 being next in line.

Fuse is started, wings are nearly finished...and both will be using a masking paper over foam really strong and lightweight with a spray finish so should be a 'looker'

Am going to jump in in next day or to with some pics and poss a build ..or links to various mods..

Man, its the first nitro plane I've built in over 5 years....will have to actually 'clean' this one at the end of the day...lol
Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Post Update on 125% Rumplestadt

Here is a few pics of the latest Rumplestadt

at 125%, I have kept it quite light and changing the clark Y airfoil to a really slow flying Extremely high lift Boop 2 Ultralight airfoil

The Bloop 2 fullsize flies at 24 mph and lands about 15.

I am targeting a large , scale flying version (being all up at this time at 2# 11 Oz with a Surpass 26 4 cycle

8 Oz should give a long flight time as FPV gear will be installed with pan and tilt to give a full immersion effect of riding in a full size vintage bipe...with a 4 banger for the sound
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150223_182321_605.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	878.6 KB
ID:	2075769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150223_182331_892.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2075770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150223_182353_249.jpg
Views:	28